Healing in your Group

hong

WotC's bitch
Geoff Watson said:
The group I DM uses the 'use up a wand of cure light wounds nearly every session' tactic. Plus potions, wondrous items, and the occasional spell.

The only healer in the group is multi-classed (3rd level Shaman, in a group of 6 8-10th level characters, so if they had to rely on healing spells, it would take forever).

Geoff.

And let me tell you, I am glad that wands can't overheat.

Darklone

Healing

Hmm this belongs kinda into houserules I think... Well.

We do houserule the healing. I allow first aid after combat to bring back some hitpoints (d6+heal modifier).

About curing: Every time a player is cured, he gets his Heal mod times spell level of the cure as extra hitpoints. That way a cure light wound will not necessarily bring a mage from coma to full health while a fighter only heals a scratch.

Heal mod = (BAB+Con mod)/2

Black Omega

First Post
Interesting ideas. I might borrow one for use if I have a game where healing is light. As it is my group has two healers so that rarely becomes an issue.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
We use a Wound/Vitality system in my campaign, and one of the primary reasons for this is to enable vitality to be recovered by resting, and to negate the need for buckets of healing spells to be available all the time.

An idea that I've never seen, but which could be turned into a usable solution, would be to allow characters to heal an amount per day depending upon their level and their (average) HD size. As an overpowered example a wizard could heal 2hp/level/day, a rogue 3, a cleric 4, a fighter 5 and a barbarian 6hp/level/day, the base being determined by half the HD size. Multiclassed characters would use the appropriate average.

Shin Okada

Explorer
If I were you, I just calculate a healed HP/day from that character's max HP. Say, 50 % of Max HP per day. Or just say one day of rest will restore you to full HP. It is much simpler.

I prefer current rule anyway, though.

Plane Sailing said:
We use a Wound/Vitality system in my campaign, and one of the primary reasons for this is to enable vitality to be recovered by resting, and to negate the need for buckets of healing spells to be available all the time.

An idea that I've never seen, but which could be turned into a usable solution, would be to allow characters to heal an amount per day depending upon their level and their (average) HD size. As an overpowered example a wizard could heal 2hp/level/day, a rogue 3, a cleric 4, a fighter 5 and a barbarian 6hp/level/day, the base being determined by half the HD size. Multiclassed characters would use the appropriate average.

Madfox

First Post
In my games I allow people to heal their level in hit points after 8 hours sleep. If they use a full day of rest, I allow the people with ranks in healing to try and double the amount of hit points healed by the PCs by making a heal check DC 15 (as per the healing skill rules). As of yet I have not played with the idea of letting constitution being a factor in it. My players have got a wand, but potions tend to be much more used simply because if a cleric can heal they prefer the spell above the wand.

Remove ads