Healing in your Group

Rashak Mani

First Post
Ever since we started 3rd Edition here we all agreed that the natural healing rules are kind of silly. Imagine a mighty warrior with 18 const and a Mage with 10 Const both dropped to 1 hitpoint. Shouldnt they get healed at the same time or at least the Warrior first ?

But hey the Mage with only natural healing is full first !! Since it is level dependent only as is... the full of con warrior takes ages to get full. Kind of silly. 5th lvl Mage full hps = 20 (4 days to heal) 5th lvl Fighter 18 CON = 70 hps (14 days to heal !)

I was wondering how many actually use the healing = level and how many use healing = lvl + con bonus ?

The second option seems more rational and also avoids overworking the clerics with healing.

Another question I want to know is how much of the healing is on your Clerics back ? Does he do all the healing ? How frequently do you get those great Cure Light Wands ? How much do you guys use Cure Light potions ?

Our groups, all of them, are now using Cure Light wands... its so boring to use all your spells for healing that we are having trouble getting players to play clerics. As a Druid I have used Wands too... since there is no Cleric in the group. We tend not to use potions too much... we always carry one or two for emergencies.

IceBear

Explorer
I play a cleric in a friend's game. I never take healing spells (except for cure minor wounds). I take all combat and buff spells, and if I need to heal someone I spontaneously swap out a spell for a healing spell. If I need to keep someone from bleeding to death in combat I cast cure minor wounds on them and wait until combat is over to cure them.

Mind you, one of the other players is playing a custom class who basically can't do anything else in combat but cast healing spells so she takes care of keeping people up on their feet (it's actually a really crappy class - I don't know why she keeps playing it)

IceBear

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
IceBear said:
Mind you, one of the other players is playing a custom class who basically can't do anything else in combat but cast healing spells so she takes care of keeping people up on their feet (it's actually a really crappy class - I don't know why she keeps playing it)
IceBear
I just thought I'd point out, that some people (like me) do actually enjoy playing characters like that. It's kind of fun actually, but I guess we're just weird that way :)

(edited because of lousy typing.)

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
novyet said:

I just though I'd point out, that some people (like me) do actually enjoy playing characters like that. It's kind of fun actually, but I guess we're just weird that way :)

Sorry, I should have qualified my statement. I don't think there is anything necessarily anything wrong with that, but this DM runs a pretty combat heavy game and thus she literally spends hours of real time just sitting at the table not doing anything. That's why I think it's a crappy class. If there were opportunities for her to do things outside of combat, sure it would be ok, but as it is she just sits at the table twiddling her thumbs.

Basically she stays at the edge of the battlefield, invisible, and if someone is down to near negative hitpoints she will run to them and heal them and then run back. But, for most combats she isn't needed at all.

IceBear

Last edited:

sinmissing

First Post
I have been the only player in our group that has consistently played a healer type. (first as a L/N priest of wee jas, now as a druid)

It has not nearly been the horrible experience it use to be in 1E.

My cleric didn't take any healing except cure minor wounds, and always packs a wand of cure moderate.

L/N Clerics of Wee Jas rock! I actually loved playing the support role with that character. I would cast death watch and hang back in combat. Who ever was close to dying would get my death touch domain ability, who ever was dying would get death knell (I would roleplay it by stating my character leaned over his dying foe and inhaled his last breath). Really nasty opponents would get one of my spontaneously-cast inflict serious wounds.

The players didn't treat my like their kindergarten teacher either. They knew I couldn't spontaneously cast healing spells, so they packed a few potions in case of emergencies. The players didn't want me wasting time casting healing spells during combat because I was more useful when I was concentrating on getting the most out of my buffing spells, prayers, curses, and hideous touch attack spells.

Poor, Tehahtihmeh, I'll miss that cleric. "Secrets man was not meant to know," seemed like a challenge to him, and not the warning it should have been.

Raflar

First Post
I'm playing a Druid in my campaign (with a Ranger and a Barbarian) and we've developed a house rule to use the "Heal" skill to actually heal someone.

Basically you can attempt to heal someone once per combat. DC=15 and you can cure 1/2 your RANKS (not score) in Heal.

Example: Party fights a group of orcs. After the battle player A (in this case has 10 Ranks heal score) rolls 15 or better, he then cures 5 points of damage to injured party memeber.

I find this helps parties with no clerics, and allows clerics (druids) to use their spell more effectively...

Rashak Mani

First Post
Nice house rule... what are the limits ? Does the healing have to be right after the damage is done ? Or can it be done some minutes after ? A high level heal skill could potentially "heal" a lot of hitpoints like this... wont it become a little overpowered ? DC 15 not very hard when you have 10 ranks + Attr

IceBear

Explorer
Well, it doesn't seem to be too bad.

A 20th level character could have at most 23 ranks in Heal. This would allow him to heal 11 hitpoints after a battle.

IceBear

Rashak Mani

First Post
11 points per character including maybe himself... ? With 5 other characters thats 55 hitpoints per encounter. Two encounters in a day with spread out damage is 110 hps thats equivalent to 11-12 Cure lights on average...

He fails only on a 1 roll.

kreynolds

First Post
I prefer to use the standard healing rules: after 8 hours of rest you get 1 hit point, +1 per character level, +1 per Con bonus. It puts more emphasis on being careful in battle, you know, using your head so as to avoid unnecessary injury.

Remove ads