• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Ye're Anvuss? I'm ta show ye yer first job, savvy?"

"Excellent. It is my understanding that the Captain desires that I be restored to fully functional status. Is there a ship's blacksmith I am to work with in order to accomplish this?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Ye haven't finished that yet? What have ye been usin' fer the task, that archaic hammer?" she gestures at Anvuss's tool and shakes her head, "Well, there be no more time to be wastin'. Ye'll come with me and hear the briefing of yer task while the Mini-Clanks do the fixin'."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*She leads Anvuss over to a section of the ship that has some metal tubing.*

"Alright, you'll be working here. Some of the semi-lucent zwitterion harmonic conduit pipes need to be replaced. Meet your pit crew," a bunch of the little mini-Clanks, mostly just simple shapes with arms and legs (c.f. Agatha's little mini-Clanks in GG for a good mental picture), give weird little bows or tips of their heads, "You lot can fix him up first."

*They start working on Anvuss's repairs as the lady pirate keeps speaking.*

"Do you know how to work a thelanium hydraulic spanner? Or how to check the vibrational harmonics of an extant segment?"

Patlin

Explorer
"Our devices and terminology differ slightly."

If Anvuss does recognize the devices and principles involved, he will recite what he knows about them, and request correction or clarification if any exists. Otherwise, he will say:

"Please provide relevant data to avoid potential misunderstanding."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Anvuss has no idea what a thelanium hydraulic spanner would be. He has heard of vibrational harmonics in passing but does not know how to one would 'check them in an extant segment'. The pirate lass explains the basics. The spanner is a tool--it seems to be more difficult for him to use it than usual for a denizen of this world, much like he had difficulty with the ordinary thelanium. The harmonics are not too difficult to check. The general idea is that the little Clanks will move in and work the fine details and then Anvuss will check the soundness of their result and organise their efforts, plus combining the pieces to create the finished product. It seems like something he can do if he concentrates.*

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Concentrating on the task, he manages to oversee the replacement of the semi-lucent zwitterion harmonic conduit pipes, though it takes him many many hours of work. He does get short breaks for meals, though he doesn't eat.*

*Meanwhile, Kharas is swabbing the deck, cleaning up spills and messes, and generally performing cleaning tasks. Unlike Anvuss, however, Kharas eventually becomes exhausted by the nearly-unceasing physical tasks, and he barely manages to avoid collapsing thanks to the short meal breaks. Without eight hours of rest, he won't be able to shake off the exhaustion, either.*

*However, both Kharas and Anvuss will receive four hours of rest as is standard for the crew (though maybe Anvuss could try to give Kharas some of his hours).*

Velmont

First Post
"What a savior they are. They want to kill me. And they think I have to be thankful for that." tells Kharas to himself, not caring to be overheard around the end of the day.

Remove ads