• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Heat Metal Spell. Unfair to Heavy Armor Wearers?

Audiomancer

Adventurer
Create Water is a first level spell that lets you dump 10 gallons of water on a targeted area. I’d let you use it to help your buddy bypass the damage (or at least grant a save for half) for one round.

Most parties would have access to Dispel Magic by level 5.

I’d even let you empty your waterskin on a buddy to lessen the damage. And hey, this actually gives the players a reason to engage with the mundane equipment they haven’t looked at since they picked it up at character creation!

Quartz

Hero
Has Ray of Frost as a possible counter been mentioned?

Also, the spell in the PHB has a range of 60 feet; I would say that going outside that range would break the spell. So no casting the spell and running away. You also have to see the target so going around a corner isn't an option - without a scrying device, anyway.

Also, the spell in the PHB has a range of 60 feet; I would say that going outside that range would break the spell. So no casting the spell and running away. You also have to see the target so going around a corner isn't an option - without a scrying device, anyway.
Homebrew nerfs like those you mention have been suggested, but most groups will run it RAW to start with at least, and none of the options you suggest apply to the spell as written.

The real issue I have with heat metal is not just that it does damage and grants disadvantage. It's that it only applies to one style of character.

Imagine if you had a "heat blood" spell that worked the same way, but could target any living creature while dropping the requirement for metal armor. I still wouldn't like the spell, but at least then it would be fair.
I don't think there is an equivalent spell that works on the light/no armour crowd. I imagine that a significant amount of screaming would ensue if one was introduced.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't think there is an equivalent spell that works on the light/no armour crowd. I imagine that a significant amount of screaming would ensue if one was introduced.
The projection of some sort of oppressed status on the fighter/martials is the weirdest throughline in D&D fandom.

Oofta

Legend

There is no range restriction to maintain concentration, nor line of sight, on a spell unless it is explicitly stated.

In addition, there are many times when it wouldn't matter. The caster could hide, they could be inaccessible for many reasons.

Or say the target is adjacent to 2 melee types and the caster is 60 feet away. Target dashes an moves to get next to target, taking 2 opportunity attacks. Caster runs away, target gets attack but it's at disadvantage, so probably going to miss. Other enemies catch up, rinse and repeat until target dies or gets lucky both to hit and to break concentration with 1 hit.

Remove ads