• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hell's Invasion [Recruiting]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I think I skimmed through the book once, but I have no actual experience with it. If I remember correctly, it was a little similar to the Cortex Plus system that the Firefly RPG uses. That I have played.

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter much to me. I went in to this assuming I wouldn't know much about the system.
Yeah, I think there are some similar aspects to Cortex. I also noted that much of the game play looked familiar to d20 types systems when it comes to actions in combat. I am still slowly going through the Deluxe Rules to see if it will work well for integrating Modern and Fantasy, but I have faith that it will.

I also have no experience in Savage Worlds as a player, but I have plenty GMing in PbP with multiple game systems. As much as I a fan of The Window as more bare-bones role-playing system, it is not going to be as easy to use for this game where everything has to be built from scratch as well as using my homebrew conversions. It would be much easier to have reference material instead to fall back on.

The only sticking point I have is designing the demons in general. But I bet there are some already created that will work that I can use.

So let’s go ahead and work on character generation as according to Savage Worlds.
1. Race: Humans receive 1 free Edge
2. Traits: Starting with d4 and use 6 points to improve them (Strength, Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Vigor) to reflect a bit more than average
3. Skills: 15 Skill Points
4. Edges and Hindrances
5. Gear (personal stuff only, since it would be possible to requisition additional gear from the controlling agency)

For Sez with the wizard type character, the Quick Start Rules are not really that helpful. There are a lot more powers in the Deluxe Rules and I have not delved into the Fantasy Setting sources yet. But there should be equivalent type spells/powers from D&D/PF.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, here's my first workup for Renata. Sorry, I kind of paused her story as I worked out my ideas and put them into game mechanics. :)

The idea is of a character who has the Miracles arcane background paired with the Adept professional Edge. Adept gives a character many of the advantages of Martial Artist, improving their unarmed attacks and letting them count as armed, even when unarmed. It also makes some of their powers very instinctive and reflexive...allowing them to cast certain effects as free actions (once per turn), while restricting their effects to the character only. In this case, Healing would act more like regeneration for example.

This feels perfect for Renata, who doesn't exercise a lot of conscious control over her strange powers. They flow from her actions. And while they are miraculous in nature, their source is ambiguous...so far at least, it hasn't come with any hard strings attached other than one; an instinctive, gut level loathing of demonkind on Earth.

Ren's Hindrances are things she feels deeply, but often attempts to cover or bury under her surly demeanor. She doesn't think of herself as especially 'heroic,' and can summon up plenty of memories of the contrary...but when chips are down and the call is to play it safe or save someone, she goes for the latter every time. Her Vengeful trait is meant to represent her bad temper and sensitivity...she cannot abide being bullied or taken advantage of, and sometimes goes too far in ensuring that.

Renata
XP: 0
Race: Human

Attributes ()
Agility 1d8
Smarts 1d6
Spirit 1d6
Strength 1d8
Vigor 1d6

Skills (15)
Fighting d8
Shooting d8
Intimidation d6
Notice d6
Faith d8

Charisma 0
Pace 6" (12yrds)
Parry 6
Toughness 5
Bennies: 3/3

Edges
+1 Strength
Arcane Background: Miracles
- 10 power points
- Boost Trait (2pp, Dur 3rnds +1pp/rnd)
- Healing (3pp)
Adept (Always armed, unarmed attacks do Str+1d4 dmg, 1 pwr/rank becomes self only and free action)
- Healing

Hindrances
Major: Heroic
Minor: Vengeful
Minor: Loyal

Gear
Cash:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Okay, I did some more looking last night and found what I need for demons in a couple of different Bestiaries. So I am good to go on that front. :)

I will look through Renata in more detail, Shayuri. So far it looked fine and fit. :)

How are you other guys coming on looking over the Savage World stuff to create characters? There are a few different ways to get access to the source material in PDFs.

I personally think using text based sheets here at EnW are clunky. But there is not much need to have an automated sheet either like those for D&D and Pathfinder. Most of the time I use on-line sheets over at Myth-Weavers, but some don’t like joining other sites. The MW looks okay.

Though, I would not mind using Google Docs instead if that’s easier. Simple enough to link into IC posts for easy reference. Preferences?

Sezarious

Explorer
I am indifferent on the format or source of the character sheet. Actually, I think I have a myth weavers account. Also have a google account. Whatever others prefer, seriously. I have yet to read more into Savage Worlds, but will do so. I need to take my time with nutting out a new system otherwise I'll be badgering you again with 20 questions. All good though :)

hafrogman

Adventurer
Evan's sheet

Are these characters being built before or after prologue? We've discussed expanding skill sets for Act I, so I don't know if I should build for that already.

What do the B/M under Charisma, Pace, etc. mean?

Evan's hindrances are built around his movie obsession. He's constantly quoting and referencing his favorite movies (quirk), assuming everyone around him knows what he's talking about. But because he's seen behind the scenes, he's now always on the lookout for the trick, the explanation, the hidden string holding the spaceship up (doubting thomas). Still, all in all he's got a tendency to act like he's the main character in his own story. He's got to fight for the weak, face down the villain and save the girl (code of honor).

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Are these characters being built before or after prologue? We've discussed expanding skill sets for Act I, so I don't know if I should build for that already.

What do the B/M under Charisma, Pace, etc. mean?
Since we have not really played before, let's start from the beginning with 0XP for the prologues. I will probably awards 1-2XP for when we start Chapter 1, but that is really not that far away. Once Shayuri makes a little more progress, I think we will look at bringing everyone together.

The B & M are "Base" and "mod". I just copied that straight from my Character Sheet PDF. Base would be the initial derived attribute. I am not sure yet when we would record something in the Mod side. It could be rare.

Sezarious

Explorer
Ok, this is what I have so far:

Attributes
Agility d8
Smarts d8
Spirit d4
Strength d6
Vigor d6

Skills
Investigation (Smarts) d4
Knowledge (Arcana) (Smarts) d4
Riding (Agility) d4
Shooting (Agility) d6
Spellcasting (Smarts) d12
Stealth (Agility) d4

Race: Human
Adaptable +1 Edge

Charisma: -1
Pace: 6
Parry: 4
Toughness: 4
Encumbrance: 4 (Load Limit 30)

Gear: N/A

Hindrances:
Vengeful (Major)
Loyal (Minor)
Habit (Minor)

Edges:
Arcane background
Wizard
Power Points

Powers:
Cloak of shadows
Boost/Lower trait
Ray of frost

15 power points

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Crawling back onto the boards after an unplanned bout of being down with the sickness.

You'd think being at home all day would mean I could post, but...there's a distinct difference between being home all day, alert and aware and full of creative energy, and being home all day coughing and drinking various liquids and being unable to sleep more than an hour or so a night.

Happily, I appear to be sliding back to the former end of that continuum. Knock on eleven kinds of wood.

Remove ads