D&D General Help/Advice needed about using PoD cover templates at Drivethru RPG

Hello, firstly, if the Mods need to move this fair enough, I couldn't find a specific forum for this issue.

I am hoping someone can help. I have emailed Drivethru but perhaps someone on the forums here has a quick solution.

I am about to upload a new pdf and I want to enable the Print on Demand option. I downloaded the Cover Template for an 8.5" x 11" book. So far, so good.

However, the front and back cover 'gaps' in the template (where you set your image) are only 8 inches wide, when they should be 8.5".

To show exactly, I have dropped a grid over it, with the grid space in inches. Note how the cover is 11 inches tall. But only 8 inches (or 8.1 inches) wide. I squeezed the cover to narrow it, but surely I shouldn't have to do that when the book itself will be 8.5 wide.

Ascension 2023 photo with grid.jpg

Has anyone here used these Cover Templates before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Side question: I thought the d20 system license was defunct and no one can use that logo anymore?

Really!? I'll look into it. This book is an updated 3.5E product (not 5E). I used the old logo on the cover just in case people got confused. Wasn't aware there was some problem using the logo itself now.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Happy to help. Good luck with your project and getting an answer to your POD question. Just a wild guess on my part, but maybe they build in that gap for the part of the cover that folds near the spine?

dave2008

Legend
Hello, firstly, if the Mods need to move this fair enough, I couldn't find a specific forum for this issue.

I am hoping someone can help. I have emailed Drivethru but perhaps someone on the forums here has a quick solution.

I am about to upload a new pdf and I want to enable the Print on Demand option. I downloaded the Cover Template for an 8.5" x 11" book. So far, so good.

However, the front and back cover 'gaps' in the template (where you set your image) are only 8 inches wide, when they should be 8.5".

To show exactly, I have dropped a grid over it, with the grid space in inches. Note how the cover is 11 inches tall. But only 8 inches (or 8.1 inches) wide. I squeezed the cover to narrow it, but surely I shouldn't have to do that when the book itself will be 8.5 wide.

View attachment 272383

Has anyone here used these Cover Templates before? Any advice would be appreciated.
Love the updated cover - but no idea about the gap. Sorry!

Hey there Rabulias! :)

Happy to help.

You have been a fantastic help. Double checked this with a lawyer friend (S'mon on these forums) and he said the Logo has not been in use since 2008. In fairness my book was first published in 2007, so I will use that as my excuse. But happy enough to remove the logo.

Good luck with your project and getting an answer to your POD question.

I got an initial reply from Drivethru for me to send them the whole file, no second reply as yet - but it is the weekend I guess.

Just a wild guess on my part, but maybe they build in that gap for the part of the cover that folds near the spine?

I don't think that is it (though I could be wrong).

The Template you download basically has built in border frames which you click on and then place your image. So the front, back and spine are pink frames, the border frame is blue (for potential 'bleed' and run off), and the are outside the bleed; with the Printers marks is white.

In the image above I re-coloured the bleed area black and obviously my front/spine/back cover fill the pink areas.

Hey dave amigo! ;)

Love the updated cover

Image took me about 25 hours of work, very happy with how it turned out (nice homage to the original) - I will likely reuse the image in my Immortals Handbook 5E*

*Or whatever ORC based system is closest in the event WotC cling onto their silly shenanigans.

- but no idea about the gap. Sorry!

I'll get it sorted. Thanks anyway buddy.

Remove ads