Help! Building a Non-Hybrid Controller/Leader

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Bard is a good start.

You could also try a half elf Artificer with Wizard MC and a Wizard Dilettante power.

Lalato

Adventurer
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm in the Character Builder making some builds now to see what works out. Campaign starts at 10th level so it'll take a bit of time to work through the various options.

Lalato

Adventurer
Thanks for the link FreeXenon, but I'm not authorized to view it. :(

In other news... here's my first pass at the Invoker/Shaman build. Ignore the equipment... campaign restrictions forced those choices. I'm going to work on a bard build next.

Thanks for all your suggestions. :)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Half-Elf, Invoker
Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Wrath
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 12, INT 14, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 13, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC: 24 Fort: 23 Ref: 21 Will: 24
HP: 64 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, History +12, Insight +17, Nature +15, Religion +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +4, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +10, Heal +10, Intimidate +4, Perception +10, Stealth +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead
Covenant of Wrath Power: Armor of Wrath
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Shield
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Invoker Attack 1: Hand of Radiance
Invoker Attack 1: Visions of Blood
Invoker Attack 1: Lightning's Revelation
Invoker Attack 1: Silent Malediction
Invoker Utility 2: Divine Call
Invoker Attack 3: Fires of Judgment
Invoker Attack 5: Searing Orb
Invoker Utility 6: Demand Justice
Invoker Attack 7: Rain of Blood
Invoker Attack 9: Cerulean Flames
Invoker Utility 10: Angelic Messenger

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Battlewise
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Spirit Talker
Level 10: Mending Spirit

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Hand of Fate
Magic Accurate staff +3 x1
Safewing Amulet +2 x1
Dwarven Chainmail +2 x1
Gloves of Grace (heroic tier) x1
Comrades' Succor
Waterskin
Sunrod
Backpack (empty)
Belt Pouch (empty)
Flint and Steel
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
Climber's Kit
Create Campsite
Explorer's Fire
Raise Dead
Speak with Dead
Remove Affliction
Disenchant Magic Item
Enchant Magic Item
Residuum (Any)
====== End ======

IanB

First Post
Another option would be sentinel druid and just take regular controller druid powers any where it lets you. Just check the 'show other options' box when picking a power in the character builder. That gets you full leader healing word, acess to the 'better surges during a rest' feature, a pet to clog up some space, and still lets you grab a controller druid at-will (or two as a human) and dailies. Forget off the top of my head if their encounter powers are also swappable.

You can't use any of the beast form stuff, but the standard controller stuff is totally grabbable.

Aulirophile

First Post
Tiefling Cunning Bard/Wizard/Resourceful Magician. Not a complete controller until level 16, but is good enough up to that point and then is simultaneously the best controller in the game and a leader. Virtue of Cunning on top of Wizard zones also happens to be brutal when you add in the feat support for it.

brehobit

Explorer
Another option would be sentinel druid and just take regular controller druid powers any where it lets you. Just check the 'show other options' box when picking a power in the character builder. That gets you full leader healing word, acess to the 'better surges during a rest' feature, a pet to clog up some space, and still lets you grab a controller druid at-will (or two as a human) and dailies. Forget off the top of my head if their encounter powers are also swappable.

You can't use any of the beast form stuff, but the standard controller stuff is totally grabbable.

I was going to say the same thing. Easily the best controller/leader IMO. 90% leader (full healing for example) and 90%l controller (almost only about powers which you can freely take and I honestly think the druid has the single best controller at-will). Only thing I'd add is "human summer sentinel" to get the extra at-will (as sentinels only get one normally and as a controller you will really want choices) and summer for the staff (for staff expertise so you can toss around bursts in close combat) and the bear (+2 power bonus to all defenses? Sign me up!).

Lalato

Adventurer
Tiefling Cunning Bard/Wizard/Resourceful Magician. Not a complete controller until level 16, but is good enough up to that point and then is simultaneously the best controller in the game and a leader. Virtue of Cunning on top of Wizard zones also happens to be brutal when you add in the feat support for it.

I'm trying to come up with a non-Tiefling version of this. Very interesting concept, but I'm having a bit of a time figuring it all out. Thanks for the tip.

I'll also try and make the Sentinel build suggested.

FreeXenon said:
I made it public for ya.
Still can't see it. Sorry.

Remove ads