• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Defense vs Mindflayers

Scharlata

First Post
Laslo Tremaine said:
[...] Just to clarify, we are using magic/psionics transparency, FYI. [...]

Hi!

We encountered a said critter tonight, too. My mystic theurge tried to give the stunned fighters of the group a second chance with a Resurgence (1st level spell) from the Complete Divine against the effect of the MB. If you can, try Resurgence, Mass (4th level spell). Then he got the critter with a Glitterdust to negate any invisibility.

I know, these are lowly spells, but the Resurgence saved our ranger's butt. ;)

If you have access to Panacea (5th level) from the Miniatures Handbook, you 'll be able to end the stunning effect, IIRC.

Kind regards

Last edited:

Zentish

First Post
I'm the player behind the sole surviving Wizard from our encounter with the 3 brain-suckers.

I did try to separate them with an ice-wall, but they simply dimension door'd through it, engaged one of the fighters, then two of them came at my me. I dimension door'd away after they got a tentacle on my character, and should have just retired from combat right then. I stayed around for several more rounds before we the rest of the party started falling. Then I ran away and rope-tricked out of sight.

"It was horrible! <SOB> All the screaming and slurping sounds. The squid-faces even burped after they'd finished the druid off. I hope they get indegestion!"

I was thinking that a "Dimensional Anchor" followed by a well placed "Black Tentacles" might help us slow them down and allow the party to take them one at a time. Just wish I'd had those prepared. As it played, "Rope Trick" was Nyneve's last party favor and she barely made it out with her grey matter intact (oh wait, they threatened to make her a thrall - that would have been fun).

Protection from evil seems like it will help with a +2 on saves, even a standard globe of invulnerability should stop the mind blast (as its a 4th level SP). Although I wouldn't want to be caught in a stationary 10 foot sphere while the squid-faces run right in and eat my face.

Is it just me or are Psionics a bit ...erm... broken. Power Penetration gives a +4 to your checks but Spell Penetration is only a +2. Burn a feat and take Power Resistance and get Spell Resistence for free! Impossible to get Spell Resistence in the standard rules that easily. Everybody'd be doing it!

<I'm not bitter>

:D

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Adamantine helmets.

Arcane locked to your heads.

Covered in shards of broken glass. And the glass shards have been dusted with poison. And the whole schebang? Invisible.

Eat my brain! I dare you!

Spatula

Explorer
Zentish said:
Protection from evil seems like it will help with a +2 on saves,
More importantly, it blocks mental control.

Is it just me or are Psionics a bit ...erm... broken. Power Penetration gives a +4 to your checks but Spell Penetration is only a +2.
Spell Penetration is always active, Power Penetration is not (you have to burn your psionic focus in order to use the bonus).

Burn a feat and take Power Resistance
What feat is that?

Zentish

First Post
Sejs: How about we all just down some nasty poison and dare them to eat us right up! Literally a "poison pill"! :p

Spatula: Thanks for the clarification. Thus far I've avoided the psionics rules so I'm still coming up to speed.

When I mentioned Power Resistance I meant the Psion/5 power, from page 124 of XPH. I'm unaware of an equivalent spell that gives a caster any sort of spell resistance.

Scion

First Post
Zentish said:
When I mentioned Power Resistance I meant the Psion/5 power, from page 124 of XPH. I'm unaware of an equivalent spell that gives a caster any sort of spell resistance.

Aside from:

SRD:
Spell Resistance
Abjuration
Level: Clr 5, Magic 5, Protection 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The creature gains spell resistance equal to 12 + your caster level.

?

Why it isnt arcane is anyones guess, but a limited wish could put it up (ouch, exp hit!)

Iku Rex

Explorer
Urbanmech said:
I think polymorphing into plants would give you the plants immunity to mind effects. Just find a 7 hd plant and polymorph the low will save people into that and then go to town.
Bingo.

And the 7HD plant is ... the treant.

Problem solved. :)

Sejs

First Post
Sejs: How about we all just down some nasty poison and dare them to eat us right up! Literally a "poison pill"! :p

Heh, to quote Shelly from Scary Go Round: "Ha! I was thinking about poison!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads