• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Help me build a 14th Level Archmage (3.5)

d12

First Post
I'm building an archmage from scratch. Sun Elf, Int 22, Wiz 13/Acm1

I've got 150,000 gp to spend. Here are my questions.

1. Should I buy the Robe of the Archmage? It costs 75,000 gp (half my wealth). Should I go for the same effect with different items?

+5 armor bonus to AC.
Spell resistance 18.
+4 resistance bonus on all saving throws.
+2 enhancement bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance.

2. Any suggestions for other magical items to psend my money on?

3. Any spells that are "must haves?" I have access to PHB, MoF, FRCS and Tome and Blood. Right now, I know Limited Wish, Contingency, and Stoneskin and going in the spellbook. But what else? Thanks!

Thanee

First Post
Robe of archmagi isn't really worth the money. Especially as an archmage you won't really need the +2 to caster level. The SR is worthless mostly and the armor bonus is just 1 point better than a first level spell.

Important items, obviously, are:

Headband of intellect +6
Cloak of resistance +5
Boccob's Blessed Book
Ring of Counterspells (for Greater Dispelling)

What school - if any - do you specialize in? What prohibited schools?
Any idea, what the character will focus in?
Or do you just want a generalist, good at mostly everything?

Here's a list of spells, copied from one of my characters. It surely includes a lot of good spells up to 5th level (tho few of them, like Superior Resistance, come from other sources and it's updated with the Player's Guide to Faerûn).

Spellbook:
0th - Resistance, Acid Splash, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Daze, Dancing Lights, Flare, Light, Ray of Frost, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation
1st - Protection from Evil, Shield, Mage Armor, Mount, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, True Strike, Charm Person, Magic Missile, Tenser's Floating Disk, Disguise Self, Nystul's Magic Aura, Silent Image, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Reduce Person, Know Protections, Kaupaer's Skittish Nerves
2nd - Resist Energy, Locate Object, See Invisibility, Touch of Idiocy, Scorching Ray, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Misdirection, Alter Self, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Knock, Levitate, Rope Trick, Create Magic Tattoo, Blindsight, Familiar Pocket
3rd - Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against Evil, Phantom Steed, Arcane Sight, Clairvoyance/Clairaudiance, Tongues, Heroism, Suggestion, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Displacement, Major Image, Blink, Flame Arrow, Fly, Haste, Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Shrink Item, Slow, Blacklight, Nchaser's Glowing Orb, Khelben's Suspended Silence, Deeper Darkvision
4th - Dimensional Anchor, Remove Curse, Stoneskin, Dimension Door, Leomund's Secure Shelter, Detect Scrying, Locate Creature, Scrying, Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Stone Shape, Spell Enhancer, Tirumael's Energy Spheres, Superior Darkvision
5th - Break Enchantment, Major Creation, Lesser Planar Binding, Teleport, Prying Eyes, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Sending, Wall of Force, Persistant Image, Fabricate, Passwall, Telekinesis, Firebrand, Simbul's Spell Matrix, Energy Buffer, Ghostform, Superior Resistance

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Thanee said:
What school - if any - do you specialize in? What prohibited schools?

I'd specialize in divination and drop necromancy (doesn't really befit a sun elf).
Spell Focus in evocation and enchantment.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Other good items to consider:

Lesser metamagic rod of quicken spell
Metamagic rod of maximize spell
Pearl of power (not too high level, maybe up to 4)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
And finally...

Feats:

I'd choose the following:

Skill Focus: spellcraft
Spell Focus: enchantment
Spell Focus: evocation
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Craft Wondrous Item or Empower Spell
Quicken Spell

And some 6th level spells to consider:

Antimagic Field, Greater Dispelling, Summon Monster VI, Analyze Dweomer, True Seeing, Mass Suggestion, Contingency, Mislead, Permanent Image, Shadow Walk, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Mordenkainen's Lucubration, Stone to Flesh, Tenser's Transformation, , Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability.

Bye
Thanee

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
d12 said:
But what else? Thanks!

Thanee made good suggestions. I've got an Archmage which is oriented towards Evocation (he's also Elemental Savant (fire)), so it depends on your style.

For your first Archmage ability, I highly recommend Mastery of Shaping. Throw AoE spells in the midst of melee without affecting your friends.

Andargor

d12

First Post
Wow, these are all great suggestions. I think I am going to specialize in divination. I'm also going to take leadership to take advantage of my PC's Cha of 16.

I would have never thought of Boccob's blessed book, but I totally see the benefit. I think I am going to take Mastery of Shaping as my archmage ability. I'm not going to get the robe of the archmagi. I'll post more thoughts as they come along.

Last edited:

d12

First Post
Also: with the headband of intellect - that affects the DCs of my spells but I DON'T get more bonus spells for having it, right? For determining bonus spells, my Int is still a 22, right?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
d12 said:
Also: with the headband of intellect - that affects the DCs of my spells but I DON'T get more bonus spells for having it, right? For determining bonus spells, my Int is still a 22, right?

You get all the benefits of increased intelligence, except bonus skill points. So, yes, this includes extra spells slots per day.

A Headband goes a long way...

Andargor

Last edited:

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I almost forgot. As a Wizard/Archmage, you will totally rock and roll on the battlefield. UNLESS they get the jump on you: you are then the most vulnerable.

If you act first, you will almost be guaranteed to take out the biggest baddie in the enemy camp. Intitiative becomes that more important at high levels, and so do defensive capabilities.

Yesterday, a beholder got the jump on my wizard/archmage. I was right after it in the initiative order. If I had the chance to act first, it was toast (literally).

However, it got off a Finger of Death, a Disintegration and a Flesh to Stone ray at me before I could do anything, and I was very lucky to only be petrified.

So anything protecting you from death magic is good. Take a look at a Scarab of Protection. SR 20, protection from death effects and negative energy.

In my case, Contingency: Mirror Image would have gone a long way to avoid being hit by those rays. Do not underestimate Mirror Image, it has saved my butt more than once.

Look at anything that will improve you survivability, as that is your Achilles' Heel.

Andargor

Last edited:

Remove ads