Help Me Build a BBEG

gabrion

First Post
My vote goes for a NE Druid 17/MoMF 7.

The problem with BBEG fights at this level is that the PCs, if they no what they are doing, can easily wreck a GMs plans for fun RP and the like. Using the above build you will have control over what goes on (immunity to all damage is an effective way to bring about RP). Of course MoMF may be redundent when you have shapechange, but if you feel that's the case then Druid 20/Beasmaster 4 would also get the job done.

Plus the flavor would be cool if you make him into a nature's general/summoner kinda guy. Most summons will be easy enough to kill at these levels, but the fact that you can make so many of them will still make it tough for the PCs.

My problem with this idea is that I always have a hard time effectively making an evil druid without a super detailed backstory/reason, but if you can fit it into your campaign then I think it is a good option.

Infiniti2000

First Post
gabrion said:
My vote goes for a NE Druid 17/MoMF 7.
He absolutely must be CE and clerical. For those wishing to know more, here are RttToEE spoilers:
[sblock] This BBEG will be Unariq VoTalsimol, "Greatest of us all, gone but not forgotten." I have a plan to have him impact the world from within the prison, much like his master. He will have a significant impact, in fact, to such a point that the only way the PCs will be able to stop him is free him -- making darn sure they don't free his master at the same time of course -- just to kill him (or somehow render him inoperative so to speak). Once I stat up Unariq, I will post more detailed motivations and ideas on Monte's site. [/sblock]

gabrion said:
My problem with this idea is that I always have a hard time effectively making an evil druid without a super detailed backstory/reason, but if you can fit it into your campaign then I think it is a good option.
I like an evil druid as much as the next DM. I must give credit where credit is due, however, and the evil druid in Sunless Citadel was actually pretty cool. IMC, he survived and became part of my RttToEE campaign (different group of characters -- same players). He's still alive, so there are plotlines there that could be used, but not for this BBEG.

Wish

First Post
Werewolf Troll Cleric 7/Divine Oracle 10. You get all sorts of interesting things to stack onto the clerical spellcasting ability - dr 10/silver, enormous con boost (always good for a single BBEG to have lots of hp), regeneration, evasion even in full plate, immunity to surprise.

Scion

First Post
Awakened Ape Fighter1/Dervish10/Warmind10

Awakened Ape (ready for pc class level, so slightly stronger than a normal one)
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: Claws +10 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+7) and bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: Climb (9 ranks), Listen (9 ranks), Spot (9 ranks), Tumble (9 ranks at CC), Perform(dance)(9 ranks at CC), 9 ranks left over for crossclass skills
Feats: Dodge, Combat Expertise, weapon focus (scimitar)
CR: 3 (higher because of the better stats, but they are higher because pc classes are going to be taken and so is subsumed in that calculation)

Created by a druid, or at least someone with an appropriate item, of your choice. Whatever goals or purpose.. for good or evil.. betrayed or not.. The ape has his start at the world, and he only goes up from there.

Fighter 1 (take Mobility feat, spend skill points appropriately)
CR 4

Now the fun part.

Dervish 10 (tons of skill points to be spent all over at least 16 of which must be spent on knowledge(psionics) and at least 4 must be spent on knowledge(history), movement increases to 45' for normal and climbing, pick up twf, greater two weapon fighting and wild talent or hidden talent, become whirling doom)
CR 14

Warmind 10 (finish twf tree, pick up a few powers to make the dervish a better opponent such as expansion and graft weapon, use sweeping strike with dervish dance and cleave to massacre entire armies)
CR 24

Now you just need some light armor and general equipment and two minor artifacts.

for the minor artifacts, lets go with the scimitars.

I wont name them because likely it would be changed anyway plus it might be best to have the name of some ancient person in a tale already in the game.
Scimitar 1: Normally this weapon appears as a normal +1 flaming scimitar but when weilded with its brother its true powers come to life.
When weilded with scimitar 2 this weapon becomes a +4 flaming burst scimitar and the fire damage is always maximum for the dice. In addition, on any successful critical the weilder may, as a free action, dimension door to another area they can see within 250' and be able to continue on with their turn (ignoring the normal dimension door penalty). When this is done a firey burst is left behind and all within 5' of where the weilder left take d6 fire damage (reflex save DC 22 negates).

Scimitar 2: Normally this weapon appears as a normal +1 lucky defender scimitar but when weilded with its brother its true power comes to life.
When weilded with scimitar 1 this weapon becomes a +5 lucky defending scimitar. Whenever the weilder is using combat expertise he may activate the defending property for the same amount but without the extra penalty (ie if the weilder chooses to use combat expertise for 4 points he may also use defender for 4 but without reducing the weapons normal bonus). The lucky property may be used as normal 1/day but whenever you roll a successful critical with both weapons in the same round this ability recharges.

As a special action at the beginning of his round when weilding both weapons the character may lower his AC by 10 until the beginning of his next round but gain the effects of the Karmic strike feat plus the ability to reflect targetted spells back at the caster as spell turning (whenever a spell comes in that could be reflected make an attack roll against it vs the casters caster level check +5 +5/previous use so far this round).

Definately a rough guy.. He would be feared by subordinates from all over, even if they were hundreds of feat apart..

Wonder how he would like it in my game..hmm..lol

Edit: I forgot. Intelligent Armor of the highest caliber with a host of spells and the dedicated power to true ressurect the wearer 1/month. I dont think it will qualify overall for the goal you are setting.. but I just thought of the whole idea and liked it ;)

Last edited:

Bryan898

First Post
A Frost Giant Cleric 20/Hierophant 2., a tank that could deal with both physical combat and spells with little problem. The CR would be 24 (9 base + 7 for 14 nonassociated class levels +8 for associated class levels). Here's a basic idea:

Hit Dice: 14d8+20d8+2d8+360 (525 average hp)
Init:+5
Speed: 30'
AC: 36, touch 14, flat-footed 35 (+13 full plate, +1 dex, +4 RoP, +9 natural, -1 size)
Bab/Grp: +26/+40
Full Atk: Frostbite +41/+36/+31/+26 melee (3d6+20 plus 1d6 cold plus 2d6 unholy/ 19-20 x3)
SA: Rock Throwing, Divine Reach, Spell Power, Rebuke Undead 3/day
SQ: Immunity to Cold, Low-Light Vision, Rock Catching, Vulnerability to Fire
SV: Fort +39 Ref +20 Will +32
Abilities: Str 30 Dex 14 (20) Con 30 Int 13 Wis 22 (28) Cha 11
Skills: 112 points to spend after Knowledge (religion) 15.
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Craft Arms and Armor, Dodge, Elusive Target*, Improved Critical (greataxe), Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Karmic Strike*, Mobility, Power Attack, Quicken Spell.
Possessions: Frostbite- +5 unholy frost large greataxe, +5 full plate, +6 gloves of dex, +6 periapt of wisdom, +4 RoP, +5 Cloak of Resistance, +5 tome of wisdom & consitution

Spells: Caster level 21, DC 18+spell level; Spells per day: 6/8/8/8/8/8/6/6/6/6

*Appears in Complete Warrior

CrusadeDave

First Post
RttToEE?

Infiniti2000 said:
He absolutely must be CE and clerical. For those wishing to know more, here are RttToEE spoilers:

Hey Infinit2000. Haven't been around Monte's site since my campaign moved on from RttToEE, and off to Bastion of Broken Souls and City of the Spider Queen, before heading to the Fire Node, but let me try something here for you.

At this point, your BBEG has to have had some-sort of transformation to be more like his God to go along with his 17 Clerical Levels of casting. Which probably means either a Half Fiend template or some Fiendish/Fallen Angel base change, an undead template, or some Elemental templates/infusions depending on how exactly you've played his God.

People have given you good jumping off points for the Half/Fiend/Evil outsider/Fallen Angel base change so I'll skip that.

How about this: A Nightwalker (CR 16) + 18 Cleric Levels (Unassociated Class levels +9 CR). And since he has class levels, remember to have him use the elite stat array, which when combined with the Nightwalkers stat mods: +24 Str, +4 Dex, +8 Int, +8 Wis, +8 Charisma....

Ouch.

I'd assume your BBEG, was orignally statted like so:
Cleric 18 Str 10, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 13. When he hit level 18 he was probably, 10, 8, 12, 14, 18, 14. Which means as a Nightwalker Cleric 18 he'd be: 34, 12, -, 22, 31, 22. Y'ouch!

As for an elemental....
You could easily stick 17 Levels of Cleric on any of the Elder Elementals. And be within reason. Use Elite Stat Array, and maybe for pure craziness, have him be able to shift between all 4 forms as a standard action, and have all 4 forms have their own hit point sink. You have to kill all 4 to kill him.

But that's stealing MY BBEG from my RttToEE campaign.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hmm, that giant has merit. I need to drop off 2 class levels, but perhaps half-red dragon (or half-fire elemental) frost giant cleric x, contemplative y, prestige class z, hierophant 2 would work (where x+y+z=18). I'm not positive about the non-associativity. I don't think a frost giant is equivalent to a level 14 cleric. I understand the exploit, but I'll have to think about that.

Infiniti2000

First Post
CrusadeDave said:
How about this: A Nightwalker (CR 16) + 18 Cleric Levels (Unassociated Class levels +9 CR).
Ah, but 16+9=25. ;)

Maybe a nightwing with 18 class levels (CR 14 + 8.5 non-associative + 1 associative). The PrC is full caster progression, so that would work.

Scion

First Post
I think that the nonassociativity rules are a bit hard to use in the case of the cleric class.. you are still able to wear whatever armor you like, and the creature may in fact gain extra armor types to use.. the BAB is medium so after 4 levels you have gained +3 bab, which isnt exactly a huge amount different from +4 of a primary fighting class.

Plus you get 2 domains which may very well increase combat potential if chosen properly and turning attempts could be traded in with various divine feats for some definate combat boosts.

As such, I think that adding cleric levels to the giant would be dicey at best.. They have access to the war domain and full plate armor suddenly.

Remove ads