Help me "get" Forged in the Dark.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
One thing I have noticed about Scum and Villainy so far is its descriptions and instructions about how the game mechanics work are very clear and easy to understand. It may be because of this thread and having read those sections of Band, but it feels like the S&V iteration has been edited and distilled better.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
General GMing Question: is it strongly advised to run the "starter adventure" associated with the chosen (Bands) or ship (Scum) the players choose. If so is it simply because it is kind of outlined for you, or is there another reason.

Relatedly: if this is everyone's first time, should the GM pre-choose that Chosen or ship?

hawkeyefan

Legend
General GMing Question: is it strongly advised to run the "starter adventure" associated with the chosen (Bands) or ship (Scum) the players choose. If so is it simply because it is kind of outlined for you, or is there another reason.

Relatedly: if this is everyone's first time, should the GM pre-choose that Chosen or ship?

I think it’s probably a good idea to stick with the initial scenarios given in the book. At the very least, use them for inspiration for a similar opening mission.

For the Chosen/Ship selection, I would definitely include the players. That choice will impact how the game goes, so they should be the ones to make that decision.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

It's not at all required, but it's a helpful starting place if your group does have experience. And, no, you should not choose the Chosen or ship. That's something very much important to let the players do.

pemerton

Legend
For the Chosen/Ship selection, I would definitely include the players. That choice will impact how the game goes, so they should be the ones to make that decision.
you should not choose the Chosen or ship. That's something very much important to let the players do.
That sounds like it's the equivalent of choosing the type of gang in BitD - is that right?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think it’s probably a good idea to stick with the initial scenarios given in the book. At the very least, use them for inspiration for a similar opening mission.

It's not at all required, but it's a helpful starting place if your group does have experience. And, no, you should not choose the Chosen or ship. That's something very much important to let the players do.
Practically speaking, how long does chargen and ship create take? If we do 2.5-3 hour sessions, should I dedicate a whole session 0 to it? Should I do it over chat or discord prior to?

Also, how many PCs is optimal for the first trial game?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Practically speaking, how long does chargen and ship create take? If we do 2.5-3 hour sessions, should I dedicate a whole session 0 to it? Should I do it over chat or discord prior to?

Also, how many PCs is optimal for the first trial game?
Chargen and ship gen rely aren't that involved, but you might want to make it a session to not just make characters but do some shared world building-- asking questions, establishing relationships, fleshing out friends/rivals, things like that. Remember the GM is supposed to facilitate, not direct.

As for players, no more than four. I'm experienced, and I wouldn't run for more.

MarkB

Legend
I haven't used the starter adventure either time I ran the game, but it's a nice quickstart if you want it.
It's better to have the players be comfortable with what they're playing. I originally bought S&V because I wanted to run a Mandalorian or Cowboy Bebop style bounty hunters game, and so far that's the one ship that players haven't gone for - but I still had a great time running the games.
That sounds like it's the equivalent of choosing the type of gang in BitD - is that right?
Yes, that's correct. Essentially you've got a Millennium Falcon equivalent ship for a group of smugglers, a Bebop style ship for a group of bounty hunters, or a Blockade Runner type ship for a group of rebels. Players don't have to exclusively run those specific kinds of missions, but the ship earns XP when the players complete missions of the type it was built for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads