Level Up (A5E) Help me make a necromancer archetype

evildmguy

Explorer
In the fwiw category, I do like this. The only change from the base is that, after saying the necromancer uses their ability for good, the process of creating a minion is an unholy ritual?

To expand it, I agree that two paths are needed for this class. One that works with undead, and one that can heal. It seems like those two are exclusive. Then two spell lists for that as well. Or there needs to be a White Necromancer class and this one needs to firmly be on the unholy side of things. Just my two coppers.

Faolyn

(she/her)
In the fwiw category, I do like this. The only change from the base is that, after saying the necromancer uses their ability for good, the process of creating a minion is an unholy ritual?

To expand it, I agree that two paths are needed for this class. One that works with undead, and one that can heal. It seems like those two are exclusive. Then two spell lists for that as well. Or there needs to be a White Necromancer class and this one needs to firmly be on the unholy side of things. Just my two coppers.
It's a wizard archetype, not a class. A "white necromancer" would be a different archetype.

One small thing I noticed when reading the published description (sorry for being late): is it acceptable that Touch of Death can grant temp HP even if the killed creature is not living or undead (like a construct)?

Also: the CR of the undead created by Create Minion scales with total character level instead of class level. Given that this class is quite front loaded in terms of abilities, this would make a 2 level dip extremely enticing (maybe too much). Shouldn't we restrict the Create Minion scaling to class level instead?

For the rest, this archetype is awesome, especially for multiclassing possibilities: I'm already thinking how to re-create a version of Arthas the Lich King!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also: the CR of the undead created by Create Minion scales with total character level instead of class level. Given that this class is quite front loaded in terms of abilities, this would make a 2 level dip extremely enticing (maybe too much). Shouldn't we restrict the Create Minion scaling to class level instead?
It was intended to be wizard level just like Army of Darkness.

Andvari

Hero
Might become rather time-consuming to have one character controlling both themselves and multiple minions in combat. Perhaps one could simulate it by creating a "horde" representing multiple creatures, like a group of skeletons, but acts as a single creature. Depending on its HP, it does less damage per attack. For example, 4d8 damage at full HP and 2d8 at half HP.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Might become rather time-consuming to have one character controlling both themselves and multiple minions in combat. Perhaps one could simulate it by creating a "horde" representing multiple creatures, like a group of skeletons, but acts as a single creature. Depending on its HP, it does less damage per attack. For example, 4d8 damage at full HP and 2d8 at half HP.
Hordes are already in the MoMe. There’s nothing in the archetype stopping you from using them. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases