• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name a Firey Macguffin

Stoat

Adventurer
In an effort to escape his frozen tomb, the Archdevil Levistus has directed his minions to recover the [Firey Macguffin] from the Elemental Chaos/Plane of Elemental Fire. He hopes the legendary power of the [Firey Macguffin] will melt the infernal ice which holds him captive.

I can't think of what to call the Firey Macguffin. I'd prefer to use an existing name with historical meaning in the game -- an artifact from the 1E DMG, some obscure Planescape doo-dad, something from a good adventure, etc. That way, I could draw on a little published background to flesh things out.

Any suggestions?

Mallus

Legend
How about the Talisman of Colorless Fire cf. The Rain of Colorless Fire -- the thing that ended the Suloise Empire in the World of Greyhawk.

How does the MacGuffin look like? That might inform its name or might create some relations to existing items. Or the other way around.
- "Phoenix Feather"
- "Feuerstein" (Firestone/Flintstone in German)
- "Cirque du Soleil" ("Circus of the Sun")

Dykstrav

Adventurer
What immediately springs to mind is the blade of fiery might from 3E's Lord of the Iron Fortress. I don't remember much about it (I think it was an unholy keen flaming burst scimitar), but the adventure focuses on the PCs trying to stop a villain from reforging it. It was forged by efreet wizards and stolen, its shards scattered across the multiverse.

There's also a crystal of the ebon flame from the 2E Book of Artifacts. I don't remember what it does other than allow you to summon shades. It's a chunk of crystal that is the relic of a cult of fire-worshippers though.

What immediately springs to mind is the blade of fiery might from 3E's Lord of the Iron Fortress. I don't remember much about it (I think it was an unholy keen flaming burst scimitar), but the adventure focuses on the PCs trying to stop a villain from reforging it. It was forged by efreet wizards and stolen, its shards scattered across the multiverse.

There's also a crystal of the ebon flame from the 2E Book of Artifacts. I don't remember what it does other than allow you to summon shades. It's a chunk of crystal that is the relic of a cult of fire-worshippers though.
The story for the first sounds interesting, less so the name. But the second name is pretty cool. Err. Hot. Whatever. ;)

Doug McCrae

Legend
I was going to suggest that too. It's originally from the 1e DMG, the only one I could find that was fire-related.

Crystal of the Ebon Flame
The origin of this artefact is entirely unknown, as is its exact whereabouts. It is a beautifully formed, diamond-hard mineral the size of a hand. When it is touched, the Crystal sends forth rays of light and a black flame seems to leap and dance in the heart of the jewel.

Pretty cool and evocative, eh?

Some other good ones from the 1e DMG (though nothing to do with fire) are the Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless, the Jacinth of Inestimable Beauty, the Ring of Gaxx and the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads