• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name my store

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Dice, Pawns & Gamebooks

Gamestore *insert the rest of your title here*

The second one is to bypass the "must have game in title so can't be a cool name" problem. ie "ciritical hit game store, how may I help you" as you answer the phone etc.

Rav

Dingleberry

First Post
And to get my own posts back on topic...

Although I really like Dorkshack, I'd call the place either Get Your Geek On or The Geek Shall Inherit.

Corwyn

First Post
I would also consider selling pocket dragons and fairy statues.
Those cute little ones.

Mothers seeing these can only think: “If they have these cute things, then they can't be all that bad.”

This will keep the store from getting black listed by the association of mothers concerned with icky shops.

Damon Griffin

First Post
What, no one suggested Games R Us?

Seriously, what about...

CIRCUS MAXIMUS
"Let the games begin"

That catch phrase could also be translated into Latin, in the same way Mongoose uses theirs...sadly I'm not conversant in Latin and the best translation I can do for the Mongoose phrase is "Which mongoose do you want to play?", so I'd advise asking someone else to give you the Latin for 'Let the games begin'. :)

Switching from Roman to Greek influence, you might use a play on words to link 'gamer' with 'gamma' and style your shop as a sort of frat house for gamers: Phi Beta Gamer or whatever. This sort of thing would work best in a college town, and you could sell fraternity-style t-shirts with the Greek letters Phi and Beta followed by a d6: Phi Beta Gamer. (There may also be a market for Delta Nu Delta -- DND -- shirts, but that doesn't make a good name for a store.)

Also, Odyssey Games.

Moving on to Egypt as we continue our tour of the ancient world: Pyramid Games, with a logo depicting scores of game boxes stacked up to form a pyramid.

Speaking of ancient world..."the Garden of d10"? No, definitely not.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
For your store name, don't count on an in-game reference (d20, saving throw, critical hit) to bring in customers. Gamers will understand, but gamer's parents or significant others (who buy the gifts) won't make the connection, neither will potential new players. You need a name the general public will understand.

But go with something more clever than we chose. Hey, it was an 80's thing. :eek:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Jester's Game Store -- says it all, really.

It's less likely to scare parents of small children, too.

-- Nifft

JPL

Adventurer
[Chorus]
It's the Geek...
House!
Bring your d20
Just watchin' the nerds hang out
It's the Geek...
House!
It's the one, the only one
With posters of Amazons

[Breakdown]
Monte Cook, Monte Cook, Monte Cook now
Monte Cook, Monte Cook, Monte Cook now...

jezter6

Explorer
Hey guys...I really don't mind you going off topic, because any of these issues are good think to at least go over with an attorney. I plan on being as bulletproof as possible, but I'm not going to go overboard with getting a thousand licenses just in case I might sell tick-tacks. ;)

I think we have about 100 names now, a lot of which are good and have gotten me thinking.

I'd like to keep the thread open for other discussion (such as some of the fun legal stuff), or I could open another thread....

I am keeping an eye on the "What do you want from your game shop" thread as well, so keep posting there too!

Thanks a million all.

drnuncheon

Explorer
jezter6 said:
Telor:

Wilkes-Barre it is! How'd you guess?

Does NE PA have any cities other than Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? :D

Too bad I don't still live in Boston, because I would always stop in S/W-B for the night, on the way between there and visiting my folks here in Pittsburgh. I guess if I get off my duff and visit people back in Boston I'll have to drop in on the way. Good luck!

J

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads