• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me name my store

JPL

Adventurer
The Dorkshack is a little ole place where
We can be fat and beard-e-e-ed
Dorkshack bay-ay-be-ee
Dorkshack, watchin' Star Trek!
Dockshack, watchin' Star Trek!

Torgal

First Post
Gamer's Den

The right people will know what you sell and alongside of your idea to have gaming occur there it will also convey the idea of a hangout. "We'll play at the Den around 6" Simple name that rolls of the tongue easy.

The name conjures up an image of a pub almost, but a pub for games...

Anyway that is 2 cents from an infrequent poster.

-Torgal

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Torgal said:
Gamer's Den

The right people will know what you sell and alongside of your idea to have gaming occur there it will also convey the idea of a hangout. "We'll play at the Den around 6" Simple name that rolls of the tongue easy.

The name conjures up an image of a pub almost, but a pub for games...

Anyway that is 2 cents from an infrequent poster.

-Torgal

Thanks, yep, that's why I picked it those many years ago (high school days). Wanted to convey games, ownership, belonging, a place to hang out. And nicknamable, as you pointed out.

One day I'll open the Den. One day... :)

-z

Skullfyre

First Post
JPL said:
Dorkshack bay-ay-be-ee

*carbonated drink coming back up through nose*

OMG

To funny

my sides are splitting......

:)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
"The games people play"
Jack Chick's game shop
Weird Pete's game shop
Wizard of the Coast
Legends and Lore
Dice and Dames
The Dragon's Lair
Tomb of Horrors
Wonderous Items
Needful Things

Sir Edgar

First Post
JPL said:
Dorkshack bay-ay-be-ee

Lol, yeah, my vote's for Dorkshack.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Several years ago I investigated opening my own game shop. I researched the subject for a while with some local game stores, and found they all said the same thing - It might not look like it, but somehow the miniatures always seemed to pay the bills better than anything else. Everyone once in a while someone would order an entire army (often over the phone), and BAM, you just made many hundreds of dollars.

I have no idea if it still works that way (this was 8 years ago or so, I think).

ced1106

Explorer
jezter6 said:
I know ccg's are a certain evil, and I may go small into them, but never as large as other people. The thing I don't understand is, I know that a lot of those kids spend money (how else did they get all those cards), but a lot of time they just hang out and trade with each other and play, not really buying...and I do, personally, refuse to play babysitter.

Odd thing. The FLGS sells rpgs, ccgs, and mini's, and she says that if you asked her clients what she sells, the rpg'ers will say "roleplaying games", the ccg'ers will say "collectable card games", and mini's will say "miniatures games". It's as if they're three completely different segments.

Another CCG thorn. She does not let trading go on inside her store, nor do others in the area. She's had to cancel the store-sponsored Yu-Gi-Oh nights at the local pizza parlor b/c of the amount of card theft.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the current Pokemon, with all the headaches it entails. Maybe safer to stick with Magic. Dunno. Gonna do HeroClix? :)

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

hong

WotC's bitch
jezter6 said:
I know ccg's are a certain evil, and I may go small into them, but never as large as other people. The thing I don't understand is, I know that a lot of those kids spend money (how else did they get all those cards), but a lot of time they just hang out and trade with each other and play, not really buying...and I do, personally, refuse to play babysitter.

Perhaps you could find a partner who likes CCGs. Then he/she could look after that side of the business, you could look after RPGs, and all would be peachy. Plus having two people helps spread the risk around.

Telor

First Post
Hey jezter6,
Is PSU Hazleton or Bloomsburg one of those universities?
My fiance and I spent 3 amazing years while we attended school up there. I spent the majority of my freetime enjoying the best montains PA has to offer. Anyhow, if you're plotting a spot in Hazleton I'd love to know where exactly, I've been looking for any excuse to stop and revisit some familiar places/people. It would have to be a monday night, the VFW has the best wings. I thought Wilkesbarre might be the other place but that city HAS to have more than 1 gaming store.

Back to the topic, I highly suggest that you take the advice of using 'game' or some similar word in your name.

I thought Jester's Games would be a good idea since everyone knows what a jester did (entertained, played games, told stories, etc.), jester is your name (we would assume you have some connection to the word or you would've chosen something else), and games totally explains what you sell.

If I had the chance to combine some portion of my identity, explain a cool aspect of what I do, and explain all of what I sell... I could'nt be any more pleased with myself.

-Telor

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads