Help me with a d20 Modern one-shot

C. Baize

First Post
Hmmm.... for the no-FX side...

Red Dawn 2005 - (enemy country of your choice) is invading with a serious sneak attack. PCs are either good ol' boys with shotguns and rifles, or perhaps they're National Guardsmen off duty (or on, if you want to make a few NPCs, and go all out military duke 'em out action).
The enemy is advancing with armored and infantry divisions... How long will the PCs hold out?

The PCs are average Joes, with average jobs, your average white suburbanite slobs (okay... enough Denis Leary), on their way to the weekend pickup football game with the rest of their out of shape friends they hung out with in high school.
What's that? Dude! There's a big rig overturned! Let's check it out... see if everyone is okay.
Dude! It's a policecar behind it... Oh crap! The officer is face down in a pool of blood... so are the guys from the big rig... what the hell is in there?
Guns.
And drugs.
And computers.
And... do you hear a chopper? Or four?
Looks like the owners of the big rig are coming to reclaim their property... and whose cars do they see?

Dang... Life's so ... dull.
What the PCs wouldn't give to get a little bit of adventure.
*thump*
One of the PCs gets knocked over by a man running full speed behind him.
He grunts, yells an expletive as he's trying to get his briefcase. Looks just like the briefcase the PC was carrying. In a panic, the man grabs one and takes off running.
He is soon followed by two polite gentlemen in black suits, black ties, black sunshades, and earpieces. They follow him into the alley where he went, and come out a minute or so later with the poor sod's briefcase.
Wow...
PC gets to work, adrenaline buzzed from what he's witnessed.
The PC opens his briefcase (looks like the locks broke when he got knocked down), to get the Crittenden Survey Report and instead sees a pistol, several passports, an unmarked bottle of nondescript pills, a CD, and several pages of what looks to be a conversation between two individuals speaking near nonsense.

Oops....

Bobitron

Explorer
C. Baize said:
Dang... Life's so ... dull.
What the PCs wouldn't give to get a little bit of adventure.
*thump*
One of the PCs gets knocked over by a man running full speed behind him.
He grunts, yells an expletive as he's trying to get his briefcase. Looks just like the briefcase the PC was carrying. In a panic, the man grabs one and takes off running.
He is soon followed by two polite gentlemen in black suits, black ties, black sunshades, and earpieces. They follow him into the alley where he went, and come out a minute or so later with the poor sod's briefcase.
Wow...
PC gets to work, adrenaline buzzed from what he's witnessed.
The PC opens his briefcase (looks like the locks broke when he got knocked down), to get the Crittenden Survey Report and instead sees a pistol, several passports, an unmarked bottle of nondescript pills, a CD, and several pages of what looks to be a conversation between two individuals speaking near nonsense.

Oops....

Great one. Right now I would say it's between this and Modern Dispatch #15. Thanks!

Roudi

First Post
The best one-shot I've had was one based on the novel/movie Battle Royale. I had plans for a minigame based on it, but those are on hold right now.

Battle Royale is a great one-shot concept that encourages PK, has lots of combat, and is great for bragging rights afterward.

Bobitron

Explorer
Roudi said:
The best one-shot I've had was one based on the novel/movie Battle Royale. I had plans for a minigame based on it, but those are on hold right now.

Battle Royale is a great one-shot concept that encourages PK, has lots of combat, and is great for bragging rights afterward.

I LOVED that book. Haven't seen the film, but I would like to. I can't see fitting anything of the sort into a few hours, though, and I don't have time for the prep work on something of that scale.

Masada

First Post
Re-create the scene from Courage Under Fire.

The PC's are soldiers that have crashed behind enemy lines. They must hold a hill top until dawn. A couple of NPC's are wounded. Ammo and weapons are limited. Might even be fun say the captain is dead, so chain of command is threatened.

Roudi

First Post
Yeah, Battle Royale can be a boatload of prepwork. Getting a map together with a grid, plotting out the locations, doing the NPCs (unless you want to run a 30+ player game), designing the player aids, etc. Maybe I SHOULD buckle down and write up that minigame.

Bobitron

Explorer
First, thanks to everyone for the ideas and input.

Second, I ended up running Operation: Dry Country from RPG Objects, and it went very well. Using two pre-constructed characters, we finished the adventure in a little over three hours.

Remove ads