Re: Re: Re: Charisma?

Hypersmurf said:

Ooh... Metamount feats!

Enlarge Mount.
Empower Mount.
Silent Mount.
Heightne Mount.
Quicken Mount!

I'm not sure how useful Still Mount would be, though...

-Hyp.

I LOVE this - I think a few paladin-mount feats are just the thing!

Moving over to house rule for this part.

Rashak Mani

First Post
You could "order" a larger size of Dog ? Maybe ride a bear ? The enlargment rules for animals is quite neat... take your 2HD war dog into a 3 HD and a little tougher but still medium size dog... 4HD is large already and you wouldnt be able to go dungeon crawling.

Other mounts like Lizards and Dire Weasels are possible... take a peek.

PS I hadnt noticed that the shared save was only the base save... yikes !!

Madfox

First Post
Artoomis said:

Base = Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 2, modified by Paladin's higher base = Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 3, modifed by stats = Fort 9, Ref 7, Will 4

In an 11th level party. Not good. Not good at all.

I think you are to used to your paladin saves, who tend to be very good compared to other classes ;) While these saves are not incredibly good, most other PCs I have seen of those levels also have got 1 very weak save. Fighters for instance are also very vulnerable to those reflex and especially will saves (which rarely are higher then the saves of your mount). That is, unless they have boosted their saves with spells and magical items. With improved evasion reflex saves -even if failed- reduce the damage of most things to 1/2 anyway. Most fighters would be very jalous of that ability. I would buy a saddle blanket of resistance and a collar of protection.

Dingleberry

First Post
Instead of plain "+x to Y" magic items, see if your DM will let you make magic items that permit the paladin to share some of his class abilities (e.g., Charisma bonus to saves) with the mount.

In my campaign, the gnome druid was given a druid's saddle for use with his animal companion riding dog, which permits the dog to share the druid's woodland stride and trackless step abilities (as well as giving him an empathic connection similar to the familiar/mount) when the druid is in or touching the saddle. (Since it was a gift, I didn't price it out.)

Artoomis

First Post
Madfox said:

I think you are to used to your paladin saves, who tend to be very good compared to other classes ;) While these saves are not incredibly good, most other PCs I have seen of those levels also have got 1 very weak save. Fighters for instance are also very vulnerable to those reflex and especially will saves (which rarely are higher then the saves of your mount). That is, unless they have boosted their saves with spells and magical items. With improved evasion reflex saves -even if failed- reduce the damage of most things to 1/2 anyway. Most fighters would be very jalous of that ability. I would buy a saddle blanket of resistance and a collar of protection.

You are quite right - I am used to my paladin's save's. The problem is that my concept is for the two of them to act as an inseperable team, pretty much, which means I have, in essence, two chances to fail many saving throws. Also, my only means of flying is the mount's celestial armor.

This means he has become my weak link, as it were, so I have to do what I can to boost him up.

The feat idea is a pretty good one - once we get past the jokes, I'll see if there is actually something useful there - see the house rules for that discussion. It's pretty costly, as to take a feat or two for the doggy means NOT taking Divine Might, among other things.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Want you really want is a feat something like:

"While riding her Paladin mount, the mount may use the Paladin's modified save if it higher than its own."

I think that is a very reasonable feat. As you know each feat is very precious to the Paladin.

Artoomis

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
Want you really want is a feat something like:

"While riding her Paladin mount, the mount may use the Paladin's modified save if it higher than its own."

I think that is a very reasonable feat. As you know each feat is very precious to the Paladin.

Darn tootin' those feats are precious. My DM already indicated he thought sharing the Paladin's modified saves was was too powerful (though we were not talking feats, then), but that he might look kindly on a way to share the paladin's Divine Grace. That plus some magic items would do it, I suppose.

I'll have to think about that - I was kind of looking forward to Divine Might.

Meantime my 11th level paladin only has an armor class of 20 due to buying things for the mount and wanting Rhino Hide armor for extra punch in the charge. Well, that's not so bad - his basic tactic is to do ride-by attacks and not get hit (which works moderately well). This tactic fails when the mount fails to make his will save and stops, though. Not a pretty sight to see a halfling paladin stranded atop his mount who is too confused (or in a web or whatever) to act properly. Others may find it a bit funny, and providing comic relief is a good thing, but it does not aid survival.

So I guess I'll be trying to figure out how to commission magic items to be made. That should be an interesting side adventure all by itself; well, once I have the money, that is. He never buys on credit, even if someone would do that.

Last edited:

wolff96

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Charisma?

Hypersmurf said:
I'm not sure how useful Still Mount would be, though...

LOL! That sounds like something out of a Warner Bros. cartoon...

The paladin, astride his trusty warhorse, charges toward the enemy. The enemy lets his Mirage Arcana spell fade, revealing the enormous canyon that rider and horse are about to plunge into. The paladin's mount, using it's STILL MOUNT feat, stops dead in it's tracks.

The paladin and his saddle continue forward at the charging rate of 100ft. per round. The paladin holds up a small sign that says "Not again, Heironeous!" before plummeting towards the ground.

He makes a paladin-shaped dent. Then, as he begins to rise, his saddle conks him on the head.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
If you start making feats as requirtements to making a paladin/mount as effective as you believe he should be, than you are almost requiring that the paladin multiclass into fighter.

Remove ads