• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help to whip up a nice L3 heal/buff Cleric

Swamptreader

First Post
Yeah, I know, only L3, but I've actually never played a cleric before and I need some pointers to get one going on relatively short notice.

Here's the clay to work with.

3.5e rules

36 point buy, base 8 stats as usual.

Starting Level 3. No +LA.

Books allowed: Core (including Psionics books), Complete Series, PHBII, Libris Mortis, Heroes of Battle/Horror. Other sources are possible, but not guaranteed. As such, a build that favors, at least mostly, the listed books is more likely to fly, but alternative suggestions that use material from other books would be appreciated. I can run 'em by the GM.

Gods, domains are open. No restrictions were mentioned.

Race: Any from the listed books, and here again, possibly from unlisted "official" books, as long as there is no LA attached.

Any non-evil alignment is fine.

Starting Gold: 2700, no more than 60% of which can be tied up in any single item.

Looking forward? I don't expect to advance levels a great deal in this particular game, so setting him up as well as possible out of the gate, or possibly focused on peaking within 1-3 additional levels (i.e. at L4-7) would be best.

I have no preconceptions for this one other than to function as a support character. Entering combat is not a priority, though I'd like to contribute in between those times I need to heal/re-buff. I actually want to be a helpful hand, rather than a face-smasher. :) Summoning might be useful if it doesn't detract too much from the healing/buffing. I realize L3 doesn't have much leeway for diversification, though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Swamptreader

Wish

First Post
Well, the real decision you need to make is whether or not you're going to use Divine Metamagic. Is this going to be a powergaming, any-cheese-goes campaign, or something where the characters are more modest?

If you want to use divine metamagic, you probably want to do something like human cleric of Pelor (healing and sun domains), extra turning, quicken spell, divine metamagic quicken. High Wis and Cha, of course. That way you can throw multiple heal or buff spells in a round if needed.

If you want to avoid that level of powergaming, you might look at getting Augment Healing as a feat. There are a number of domains that are nice for buffing, including Strength, War, and Plant.

Jack Simth

First Post
Wait... Complete Divine? Divine Metamagic allowed?

Fun.

Be Human.

Feats:
Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistant spell).

You'll need at least a 14 in Charisma, and preffereably a 16 or better in Wisdom. If you can arrange for the Planning domain, take Extra Turning in place of Extend Spell, and this will work with a Charisma score as low as 6; the Undeath domain grants Extra Turning as a bonus feat for the domain power - which again reduces the Charisma requirement to 6. With either secondary route, a Charisma score of 10 negates the need to cast Eagle's Splendor, saving you a 2nd level spell slot.

That will give you spells per day of 4/4+1/2+1

For the trick, you'll want Bless and Eagle's Splendor prepared. In the morning, cast Eagle's Splendor (yes, on yourself, outside combat) to get yourself up to 7 turning attempts. Then burn them all on Divine Metamagic(Persistant): Bless. The entire party gets +1 attack rolls and saves against fear all day (or at least until someone casts Bane on the party....).

If you're short a rogue, you prepare Find Traps and Eagle's Splendor - use Divine Metamagic to Persist Find Traps, and for the rest of the day, you're finding traps nearly as well as a dedicated rogue (especially if you took cross-class ranks in Search).

If you're short a fighter, you persist Divine Favor in the same way.

Or play a Druid, and pick up a wand of Cure Light wounds, dedicating your spell slots to buff spells. A halfling with Dodge and Mobility, on, oh, a Riding Dog or Wolf for the speed, can make a very effective combat healer. At 4th, switch out to a Dire Bat for 3-d manuevering, and prepare Reduce Animal for when you need to go into a meduim-sized dungeon. If your DM lets Natural Bond mitigate the level adjusted animal companions, take it instead of Mobility, and have a tough flying mount with an extra feat at 4th.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
For something a bit more standard, try:

Str 14
Dex 11
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 17
Cha 14

Wisdom is your first priority since it's your spellcasting stat. Charisma is also a priority to enable turning, etc. Con should always get as much as you can afford in a point buy system--14 unless you have a compelling reason to do something else. And, since you're on 36 points, you can afford to have enough strength that you can step up and hit things with your mace if you need to.

A less offensively minded cleric could go with strength 10, dex 10 and wisdom 18, int 12. That would give you more skill points and better save DCs at the cost of the ability to make a contribution in melee with your mace.

Race: Human--it's simple and the extra feat gives you a lot of options. If you would prefer a more melee centric cleric, half-orc (Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12 or even Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10) has a bit more hitting power, and dwarf (Str 14, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 12) has a bit more staying power.

Now, the next selection is going to be deity and domains.

A cleric of Pelor is a good, standard cleric. Since you have access to Complete Divine, you can pick Sun and Glory domains. Other possibilities: Sticking with a cleric of Pelor and choosing Strength instead of glory gives you a better combat capability. Taking the healing domain instead of glory gives you the ability to use your domain spells for healing--I chose to forgo it in the initial recommendation because it's not really a good trade until you pick up the Radiant Servant of Pelor prestige class and the glory domain power is best at low levels when turning undead is a frequent occurance and an effective tactic.

Other possibilities: Cleric of Heironeous--courage (Complete Warrior) and war domains. This is more of an in your face melee cleric choice, but at third level, you won't have enough spells for the support/healing role to be satisfying.

Cleric of St Cuthbert--Destruction, Strength--this is another melee domain combination. It gives you two ways to dish out the damage (which may actually be more effective than simply getting weapon focus and a martial weapon--which is only better than a mace in crit range anyway).

Now we come to your feats. This is the place where you really choose your cleric's path.

Healing/Support:

1. Augment Healing is possibly your number 1 pick. It makes your healing more effective and always works without any expending of turn attempts or fancy manuevering.

2. Extra Turning: It's a prerequisite for Radiant Servant of Pelor so if you go the cleric of Pelor route, you want to take it. It's also nice to have extra turnings if you run up against undead.

3. Divine Spellpower: It's not so useful at 3rd level since you don't have many long-duration spells yet, but you could pump your shields of faith to +3 a little early and you can't really argue with extra duration and damage on a spiritual weapon spell. Mostly, however, it will be useful when you hit level 5+ to boost your bonus and/or duration on longer duration spells like magic vestment and magic circle vs. evil and to boost damage dealing spells like Holy smite (glory domain) and searing light.

Other possibilities: Domain substitution: Glory (eventually searing light and holy smite); domain susbstitution: Sun (eventually searing light, flame strike, sunbeam, etc).; Craft Wondrous Item; Tower Shield proficiency (if you won't be attacking much, you can at least make sure you won't be hit much either).

If you feel like taking a more martial bent while retaining healing and support as your primary role, the cleric of St. Cuthbert build would benefit from Power Attack, Extra Smiting, Augment Healing to enable him to switch from beater to healer or simply Power Attack, Divine Might, Extra Smiting to be a beater who heals. The cleric of Heironeous suggested above might make use of Power Attack, Divine Might, Augment Healing.

Equipment: The one big decision you have to make is what kind of armor you want and how much you spend on it. Now, 60% of your available total is 1630gp--not quite enough for masterwork fullplate at 1650 but your DM will most likely be flexible enough to let you have it. The question is whether or not you want it.

If you are going to be pure healing and support, you don't really need the heavy armor and may find the extra speed you gain by using a chain shirt to be more advantageous. If, on the other hand, you want to mix more melee capability into the character, you will probably want the fullplate. (And, if your DM is not flexible, get banded mail and buy fullplate at your earliest opportunity).

Your next investment should be your primary weapon. If you dumped your strength, this will just be an ordinary weapon--probably a longspear since you can contribute from behind the lines with one. On the other hand, if you have any melee capability at all--even if a 14 strength is your only recommendation--buy yourself a masterwork cold iron weapon. Now you have a choice to make--what weapon will you use. Here are the main options:
1. Longspear. Since it's a reach weapon, you can contribute to the fight from behind the fighters and be ready to heal them when they are injured. As a two-handed weapon, it's also easy to take one hand off the weapon in order to cast a spell and then put it back on the weapon in order to threaten with it. (The worst case scenario here is that your DM considers putting the hand back on the weapon like drawing a weapon and charges you a move action (which can be combined with a move) for it).

It's a two-handed weapon so Power Attack works well with it as well.

2. Heavy Mace/Morning Star: d8 damage, bludgeoning, and difficult to sunder; what more could you ask for? These are the standard weapons for clerics--and for good reason. You could wield one with a heavy shield if you're willing to pay close attention to what's in your hand and drop your weapon/sling your shield when it's time to cast a spell. However, you're probably better off just using a buckler on your off hand and always having that hand free to cast spells.

3. Longsword/etc. If you pick up a deity with the war domain, you may end up with a martial weapon proficiency. If you do, use it. If not, don't bother. And use a buckler with it for the same reasons it's good with the heavy mace.

So, if you can get the fullplate, that's about 2000 of your equipment. Now you're just rounding out the edges. You'll want backup weapons. A dagger and, if you have any melee capability, a spiked gauntlet are good for backup melee. You'll also want a crossbow (or maybe a sling) for when you have to engage in a ranged fight. You'll also want standard adventuring gear--rations, a waterskin, rope, pitons, bedroll, etc and some holy water, alchemist's fire, sunrods, a tanglefoot bag, a lantern, and some lamp oil (for the lantern or for using as a weapon--toss the oil first then toss the alchemist's fire).

That will probably leave you with 550gp or so. You'll want some cash for expenses and you should put the rest in scrolls and potions. A potion of cure light wounds is a necessity. Sure you can cast it, but if you're in the dark or if you've gone down and someone else is reviving you, a scroll won't get the job done. You'll also want a couple scrolls of magic weapon (for dealing with DR/magic), a scroll of obscuring mist (to cover a retreat or to prevent missile fire), and a bunch of scrolls of lesser vigor and cure light wounds. When you can, you should also get scrolls of lesser restoration, remove paralysis, and invisibility purge. If your DM didn't let you buy the masterwork fullplate or if you opted for the chain shirt, you'll have a lot of gold left over. Use it to buy a pearl of power I and a wand of lesser vigor (or cure light wounds).

Spell selection:

You don't have many spells so you want to prepare them well:
0. Detect Magic, Light, Guidance
1. Good spells: Bless (unless there's a bard in the party), Protection From Evil, Shield of Faith (if you have Divine Spellpower or fight a reasonable number of neutral foes), Command, Cause Fear
2. Bull's Strength, Sound Burst (if you have rogues in the party), Calm Emotions, Remove Paralysis, spiritual weapon, deific vengeance (though only if you have divine spellpower).

Swamptreader

First Post
Wow! That's a lot of info. Thanks a ton to all of you!

I'm going to have to reread it all and then do some reference so I can put it all together. Odds are I'll continue to lean toward the healing/buffing/support and forego most of the melee, however, the longspear looks like a nifty route since it'll help keep me out of direct combat but still leave me both in the fray so I can use touch spells on my allies and occasionally kick in some damage even if my attack rolls are low.

I'm not sure of the makeup of the party yet, but I think I'll suggest to any that would be hard-pressed to use a wand to reserve cash for one of Lesser Vigor or CLW (or other appropriate low-end spells) and toss it/them my way. I'll be a mobile, autonomous backpack of (semi) wondrous items. :)

I'll post back tomorrow and outline what I'm leaning towards in case anyone is curious. Would welcome further suggestions and feedback on the outline when it gets posted.

Thanks again!

Swamptreader

nittanytbone

First Post
Divine Metamagic:

The two best options here are persistent and quicken spell.

Persistent is more powerful but doesn't get off the ground until level 7. Contrary to what one of the posters above wrote, persistent spell ONLY WORKS ON SPELLS OF RANGE PERSONAL. So, that means Divine Favor, and later Divine Power. So if you don't expect to get to level 7 for a long time for Divine Power, skip Persistent spell.

Quicken spell is also quite potent, and at lower levels it is nice to throw around quickened buffs.

Here's a few sample builds for you to consider:

Dwarvish Hammer of Moradin

Str 14+, Con 16, Dex 12, Wis 15+, Int 10+, Cha 6+ (you have such high point buy adjust as desired)

Take the racial substitution levels from Races of Stone at levels 1 and 4 (giving up turn undead to smite giants). Normally this is weaker than using Turn Undead to fuel Divine Metamagic, but at low levels its actually pretty potent.

Feats: Any combat related feats work great. If you have cha 12+, then Divine Vigor can be good at low levels (temp HP, bonus move speed).

Elvish Cleric Archer

Emphasize Dex for a low-level cleric archer. Otherwise, Wis 15+, con as high as you can get it.

Domain: Elf Domain and then either War (with the longbow) or Time (free Improved Initiative feat)

Feats: Point Blank Shot (Free with Elf Domain), Precise Shot (1), Rapid Shot (3); Then start on the Divine Metamagic or Divine feats. Use Divine Favor to gain even more bonuses on each shot, and with your domain you can cast Cat's Grace. For a higher level build, you can dump dex down lower and take Zen Archery to focus soley on Wisdom to hit.

Human Divine Metamagicker

For this build we're not using Persistent Spell, as that doesn't get off the ground until level 7.

Domain: Luck & Travel are great domains due to their granted abilities (and do to the spells on the Travel domain). For an undead destroying machine, Sun and Glory are strong (but not flexible).

Feats: Quicken Spell, DMM Quicken Spell, level 3 Open (Augment Healing, Craft Wondrous Item, Extra Turning, etc)

Very generic build, but quickening spells is very potent. The only downside is its a lot of investment for an ability usable 1-2 times/day.

Human Melee Tank Machine

Deity: Kord
Ability Scores: Str 14+, Dex 12, Con 14+, Int 10, Wis 15+, Cha 14
Domain: War and Strength, or War and Luck
Feats: Power Attack, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM Persistent Spell

Use a greatsword, cast Enlarge Person as your domain spell, and Persist Divine Favor until you get Divine Power. When enlarged, with 14 base str and divine favor, power attacking for -2, your damage should be 3d6+4 str+1 divine favor+4 PA = 19.5.

This build is quite devastating.

Jack Simth

First Post
nittanytbone said:
Persistent is more powerful but doesn't get off the ground until level 7. Contrary to what one of the posters above wrote, persistent spell ONLY WORKS ON SPELLS OF RANGE PERSONAL. So, that means Divine Favor, and later Divine Power. So if you don't expect to get to level 7 for a long time for Divine Power, skip Persistent spell.
Actually, it can work on certain non-personal spells:

SRD said:
PERSISTENT SPELL [METAMAGIC]
Prerequisite: Extend Spell.

Benefit: A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You need not concentrate on spells such as detect magic or detect thoughts to be aware of the mere presence of absence of the things detected, but you must still concentrate to gain additional information as normal. Concentration on such a spell is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
(Emphasis added)

SRD said:
Bless

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1 Components: V, S, DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: 50 ft. Area: The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster Duration: 1 min./level Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Bless fills your allies with courage. Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Bless counters and dispels bane.
(Emphasis added)
Bless fits. Almost no spells have a fixed range, so it almost never comes up, but it works for Bless, Bane, Obscurring Mist, Prayer, and some other non-personal spells. Works with Mass Lesser Vigor, too (although the DM can nix it, RAW, by the maximum duration in the spell description), if you want to spend three feats at 5th to get fast healing 1 for the entire party all day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads