Help w/ my cleric character? Please?

scout989

First Post
Hey everyone I couldn't find a more specific place for this thread so here it is. My question is this- I'm creating a high level cleric character to join an ongoing game. From everything that I hear, death is a frequent occurence in this game, but especially so for clerics. Does anyone know of a prestige class that might help me stay alive past the first game session while not giving up on being a cleric (mostly meaning not losing cleric cls)?

Vurt

First Post
You may need to be a touch more specific. How do characters tend to die in this campaign? Swamped by monsters with lots of physical attacks? Nastry traps? Spells? Tactical mistakes?

If the cleric is having trouble surviving than you have bigger issues than what prestige class you should be looking at. The cleric is generally regarded as one of the strongest classes available!

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Cheers,
Vurt

scout989

First Post
Why thank you, and here are more specifics. The DM of this campaign is not overly nice. Enemies tend to be able to hit rather often, are hard to hit, have spell resistance (guess if its easy to get through), etc etc. The enemies also use intelligent tactics, which means that if I start acting like a walking band-aid they will probably not be well pleased with me. I know that clerics can be effective as combatants, but it would be very interesting for me to build a cleric character who was as effective as the PCs who are solely combat- oriented- because I do want to play a cleric, not a fighter with a few cleric levels. I guess what I'm really looking for is a prestige slass that keeps spell progression but might let my 17th level character stand up for at least a minute in a 1-1 fight with a min-maxed 18-19th level NPC. Does this exist?

robberbaron

First Post
Here are some thoughts:

Being hit a lot is a problem: go for items that give you DR, Deflection and/or Invulnerability.
Going up against powerful spellchuckers: maybe go for stuff to give you a good SR and buffed saves and take Spell Penetration feats.

My general advice would be not to focus on PrCs, unless you find one that rocks your world, or on a high AC (which is pretty inconsequential at high levels). Also, because I am not up to date with the plethora of PrCs out there.

Concentrate on making your character harder to kill, rather than harder to hit or with a more powerful attack.

Last edited:

robberbaron

First Post
Using Silent/Still Healing spells would get your troops up without drawing too much attention to you. Wands of Metamagic would help here.

You are always going to be outclassed by a maxed-out Ftr 19 (of any sort). Best to avoid that situation if at all possible, definitely if not hugely buffed.

Focussing on their weaknesses (Fighters' Will saves, for example) could reap dividends.

I know that doesn't seem like much help but it's all I've got at the moment.
More later.

scout989

First Post
Oh yeah- direct quote "if there is a save or a skill check to make, they probably have you beat" though I think that applied more to the skills than the saves. Oh yeah, and I considered asking for half-celestial template (yes it actually does fit my character pretty well) for the SR and upped WIS, but can I afford to lose 4 cl's? Especially in terms of enemy SR? I know I will be outclassed by a 19th lvl FTR, I'm looking for ways to SURVIVE a 19th lvl FTR.

Last edited:

Estlor

Explorer
If you want a little more staying power from a prestige class, consider the War Priest prestige class. It costs you (IIRC) at least one level of spellcasting and forces you to cater your feets more toward a combat focus, but you pick up an extra domain and (again, IIRC) a d10 for hit points over the course of its ten levels.

Of course, I don't have Complete Divine handy. You might have to give up a touch more spellcasting than that.

There's a feat in Complete Warrior - Improved Toughness I think is the name of it - that gives you +1 hit points per class level. Taken early in your career, it's like a +2 bonus to Constitution at the expense of a feat. Throughout your career, that's probably enough hit points to survive one additional blow in combat.

Another consideration is stacking things. Exploit the fact that Armor bonus, Shield bonus, and Natural Armor bonus stack. If you play a dwarf, you can wear heavy armor without sacrificing any movement (since they have 20 feet base as it is). An amulet of natural armor + magic suit of full plate + magic shield = high armor class. Dexterity won't be your friend, but the high AC will offset that. Get magic items that provide DR and buff your Consitution and you'll be able to soak damage.

If you can avoid it, don't pick a god, be one of those "ethos" clerics that can pick any two Domains. If you're going to be in combat, consider War and Destruction, but don't overlook things like Fire or, if you think you'll need to be a band-aid, Healing. War will let you use better weapons.

If you're consistently going to be casting in combat, consider Combat Casting or just pouring ranks into Concentration so you can cast defensively with a good amount of success. If undead aren't a real threat in the campaign, you might want to look into the Divine feats in Complete Warrior that will let you channel your turn undead attempts into defensive (or offensive) capabilities.

scout989

First Post
Thank you Estlor, all good advice. Part of my problem is that I don't own CD, I'm waiting til next session to get to see it. I'm hoping that when I get there I'll have a fair idea what precisely I want so I can build this guy quick and be in the game. I think I've got lots to work with, but of course I invite anyone who has anything else to say- say it. Please. Oh yeah, in response to the undead thing- I don't think I could turn any of the undead in this campaign without fully maxed CHA and maybe a potion of Go Away Please.

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
If you want to survive, nothing beats taking quicken spell + Divine Metamagic.

Get a Cha bonus item. Take extra turning.

A tricked out cleric "can" stand up to a Fighter of equal level if he has enough time to buff himself up. This usually takes time, though, so any way you can hasten this is a plus.

Don't take Half-celestial. The CL hit is just too much. If you really want a boost to wis, take an Aasimar level. Less bonus but less cost as well. It also has the added benefit of amping up your Cha.

Spells to have handy:

Spell Resistance
Spell Immunity
Divine Power
Righteous might
Divine Agility (CD) (gives you spring attack, Ref of a rogue and +6 to dex)
Wall of Stone (surround yourself imediately with a wall in order to gain time)
Word of Recall (to save your bacon)
Heal
Mass, Heal
Air Walk
etc..

iwatt

First Post
Estlor said:
If you're consistently going to be casting in combat, consider Combat Casting or just pouring ranks into Concentration so you can cast defensively with a good amount of success.

Actually, at the level he's at he doesn't need the combat casting feat. 3+Lev+Con easily beats the cating defensively checks at Lev 12+. Skill focus (concentration) is a better investement since it also applies to other concentration checks

Remove ads