• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help w/ my cleric character? Please?

scout989

First Post
O.K. I have my guy pretty well planned out now- Wiz1 Clr9- Dweomerkeeper 7. There are already two frontline combatants and we don't need/want more, that's not what I'm trying to build. My character is magic-focussed (strongly) to the point that it would take quite a few buffs to get him really combat ready. However he will have a Wis of 40-41 thanks to the nonstandard stat generation system. Pretty much all my other stats are ugly, so I plan to tank up as much as possible and try to keep the half-orc between me and the bad guys. But there is one thing on here that I haven't been able to find yet, wqhich is the persistent spell feat. Where is that and what, exactly, are its effects? BTW Nail starting wealth is 340k, I plan to buy +5 Wis book, +6 items for Wis, Con, Dex, and Cha (cause I want divine metamagic too), also +5 resistance, Hewards bookbag, and that'll be near all if my DM doesn't let me make at least some of those items. If he won't I *WILL* rework that list. Then mithral fullplate, some kinda stabby thingy, odds and ends I don't remember right now.

Khristos

First Post
Those 2 are a dandy to use on the persistant spell cleric. You can go really crazy with divine innate spell whi I wouldnt suggest to try and build to in a normal campaign (however you are starting high). With the nice divine metamagic cheese you can make 9th lvl spells innate. If you can get enough turns you can do things like

Divine Innate Time Stop- Fighter killing you use this and you will stay winter fresh ... now you can only gain this by picking a domain with time stop but I think you will find it worthwhile especially when you have...........................

Divine Heal- granted you can only heal yourself 1x a rd (2-5 times with the divine timestop)for 150 pts of damage (or 300-750 hps of damage with the divine timestop)

This costs you the ability to use 6th and 9th lvl spells while the divine innate metamagic is in effect which is a small price to pay to be able to cast heal and timestop as often as you like (1x a rd offer void in Tennessee) If you need to pop out a miracle you can always drop the metamagic and do it the next day.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Persistant spell is from Complete Acane, and makes a spell last 24 hours instead of whatever it's current non-instantaneous duration is. It costs +6 spell levels to cast a persistant spell, hence the need for divine metamagic.

Voodoo

First Post
Mistwell said:
Persistant spell is from Complete Acane, and makes a spell last 24 hours instead of whatever it's current non-instantaneous duration is. It costs +6 spell levels to cast a persistant spell, hence the need for divine metamagic.

Also it can only be applied to personal or fixed ranged spells (not touch spells).

Dont bother spending too much on a stabby thing pick your self up a pointy stick and cast greater magic weapon on it and spikes (comp divine), it'll be better most stabby things you'll find, though getting a +1 ghost touched, sure striking, metalline (underdark) club (50K) and then casting thouse spells is also worthwhile.

Khristos

First Post
I still think divine persistant metamagic is weaker than divine innate metamagic since the character gets to come out of the box at 17th lvl.... really the ability to to cast time stop 1/rd is nothing to scoff at.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Voodoo said:
Also it can only be applied to personal or fixed ranged spells (not touch spells).

Dont bother spending too much on a stabby thing pick your self up a pointy stick and cast greater magic weapon on it and spikes (comp divine), it'll be better most stabby things you'll find, though getting a +1 ghost touched, sure striking, metalline (underdark) club (50K) and then casting thouse spells is also worthwhile.

I thought Spikes and Greater Magic Weapon both give enhancement bonuses and therefore do not stack?

Roquen

First Post
Can I use the turns/rebukes from Elemental Domains - Fire, Water, Air and Earth - with the Divine Metamagic Feat? I can´t find where in the book is said that I can´t use them!

Thanks.

cmanos

First Post
That and your party should go OUT OF THEIR WAY to keep you alive at all costs if they are worried about dying. You're the only one that can bring them back....

Take Leadership. Get yourself a cohort to be your bodyguard, Get yourself a Planar Ally. Screw the Prestige classes and just go straight cleric. What level are we ralking here??

Nail

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
1. Expect Spell Resistance. Assay Resistance (CD, CA), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, and the orange prism ioun stone are your friends.
BTW, Assay Resistance is just about all you need. Make sure your party's Sor has this one.

Depending on the DM (and the modules he's using), SR can be in the mid-twenties by EL 14, and low 30's by EL 17. You will need some way of reliably overcoming SR.

That is, unless you're doing your job correctly. :) As a cleric, you should be concentrating on buffing and healing your party. Attacking your enemy is of secondary importance. Face it: the Fighter-types just do more damage than you ever will (barring multiple rounds of self-buffs).

Elder-Basilisk said:
2. Buy fortification armor. You can always cast magic vestment on your armor to boost the AC bonus.
I hear this alot, but I'm just not convinced it's a good idea. Fortification armor is nice, but a higher AC is nicer. Moreover, it's those silly "death effects" that happen in the surpise rounds that can really take the wind out of your sails. Far better, IMO, to get the Soulfire power (from BoED).

Elder-Basilisk said:
6. Use your spells to buff yourself and your allies. Hero's Feast. Magic Vestment. Greater Magic Weapon. Magic Circle vs. evil (keep the summoned creatures away). Freedom of Movement, etc all have fairly long durations and don't take up slots that are first tier offense by 17th level.
This one bears repeating.

Heroes’ Feast, for example, makes all of your friends immune to poison and fear effects, as well as temporary hp and a bless effect....for 12 hours! Hello? What's not to like? (Okay, so my party and I (Clr 14) are battling demons right now, and this spell has been a life-saver more than once.)

Don't forget Spell Resistance and Spell Resistance,Mass! (Be sure to boost your caster level when you cast it.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads