• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with an Alignment System

SimonTVesper

First Post
I'm working on running a Planescape setting with 4th Edition rules. My intent is to create an alignment system that is 1) based on the classic AD&D alignments, and 2) that provides some form of measurable game benefit. The final product does not have to be an exact copy, nor does it even need to closely reflect the original. All that matters is that it is something that can be fitted into the Planescape setting.

I have a few ideas already, inspired in part by discussion on this and other forums.

For example, the Wereworlf game (1st edition, I think) had a way of keeping track of and rewarding character behavior. The books outline specific actions and how they relate to different measures of Renown. I might use something like this, whereby the four components of Alignment (good, evil, law and chaos) are tracked by the player with a point system. More points in one component means a leaning toward that alignment. For example, a lawful good character would start with 10 points divided between law and good (most likely 5 each). If the character performs notably good acts (based on concrete examples), he advances his good rating.

I see problems already, though, which is why I'm soliciting help. What kind of actions can I define as good, or evil, or whatever? Should I look for different qualifying adjectives, like honor or glory? (Those two are terms used in Werewolf, BTW.) Once I've decided how to define alignment, what actions belong to each category? What sort of benefits can I provide to characters for having an alignment score?

For the purposes of this discussion, I welcome thoughts and opinions about the old alignment system, including stong negative ones, because it helps to identify the problems. After all, you can't fix something if you don't know what's wrong with it. However, I want it known that I intend to fix the problems, because, as I see it, alignment is integral to the Planescape experience. I could simply use 2nd edition rules, but I've grown fond of 4th edition mechanics, and I'd rather my players get some use of the books they've invested in.

Final note: if you know of a thread that already discusses these concepts, please let me know. I've been searching, but I haven't found any so far. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Remove ads