Help with some character ideas...

EccentricBard

First Post
Hello,I'm new to the forums here, and I'm also fairly new to D&D.

Right now,I'm trying to play a Marksman class I found on the SRD -http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Marksman_(DnD_Class)- but Im having a few issues.

My main problem creating a class is that I can never find one that quite fits into what I would like him to be. I am content with most classes but never quite happy.

The kind of class I'm trying to find is something that can use stealth and magic (Meaning hide and move silently should be class skills) and in terms of magic, I don't really seek damaging spells. I'm interested in the Assassin class in DMG,since it has Death Attack and some cool spells. Essentially,I like using odd spells to solve my problems (Makes me feel smarter at the end of the day,and poses a quandry when I get bored.)

Honestly,I'm probably going Assassin as soon as I can,but my DM said I could change my 5 levels to something I would enjoy more.Preferably with some form of sneak attack/sudden strike. The progression of it doesn't bother me much,as long as I get SOME benefit to being sneaky. Melle and Ranged damage aren't much of a concern for me,since Style goes over Substance for me.

I obviously like Dex based classes or anything that comes associated with cool imagery in my mind. My friends refer to my old Bard as the "Eccentric Bard" since he was utterly useless in battle,but was so awesome in the things he said and the way he beat traps, that it blew their minds.

If anyone has an old homebrew class that they made for a player that might help,or can perhaps point me at a sourcebook, just post it on this thread. I'll probably be checking every one to two hours since I'm always impatient.

Lastly,If I DO find a class like this, any cool magic items,spells or good sneaking tactics would be appreciated.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First- Welcome to ENWorld!

Second- I understand impatience, but realize that even though ENWorld attracts posters from all over the world, most are going to live in the USA...meaning you won't get too many responses in the wee hours of the weekday. (I'm in the USA myself, but I'm an insomniac.)

Third
- I'm assuming you're talking about 3Ed or 3.5, right? If you're talking about a different edition, let us know.

Fourth- regardless of edition, what books can you use?

So...sneaky & magic using?

Bards are the closest thing right out of the PHB, unless you multiclass Rogue with either Sorc or Wiz.

If you have access to the "Complete" series, there is the Spellthief class in CompAdv.

If your DM allows it and you don't mind something a little different, the Lurk from CompPsi mixes rogueish abilities with psionics.

There are also probably some classes out there in 3rd party products- most people respect the quality of products from Paizo, Malhavoc and Green Ronin, so you might look there. AEG also has some interesting products.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The kind of class I'm trying to find is something that can use stealth and magic (Meaning hide and move silently should be class skills) and in terms of magic, I don't really seek damaging spells.
There are a few WotC offerings, and then a ton of others. I'll name the WotC one that comes to mind (other than those options listed by Danny, above):

Beguiler (from Players Handbook II).

The first idea that comes to mind is from the book (is it PHB2 or UA) that allows you to take a level of Human/Paragon, so that certain skills can become class skills for you.

For example, you could play a wizard, but have Hide and Move Silently as class skills.

Bungus

First Post
Spellthief would be a good choice, as mentioned above. Rogue abilities, sneak attacks, some spellcasting, and the ability to steal spells & spell-like abilities. Spellthief is in Complete Adventurer.

Welcome to enworld, too!

Darklone

Rogue or scout mixed with a spellcaster: Arcane trickster or daggerspellmage (twin dagger fighter).

Both prestige classes can be easily combined.

Thanael

Explorer
Right now,I'm trying to play a Marksman class I found on the SRD Marksman (3.5e Class) - D&D Wiki but Im having a few issues.

That class is not from the SRD, it's a homebrew addition to the D&D wiki.

Checkout The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org for a very browsable SRD, without any homebrew content added.

That said, the Assassin PrC really seems to fit your bill, but it requires an evil alignment and can only be entered at CL5.

The Beguiler and Spellthief are also a great fit. IMO multiclassing is the way to go if you want a bit of this and a bit of that. A very sneak class yet without real spellcasting is the Ninja from Complete Adventurer. And why not add in a little of the 3E Bard too?

Thanee

First Post
I think the Arcane Trickster (already mentioned above) might be right up your ally.

Rogue 1 / Spellthief 1 / Wizard 5 / Arcane Trickster X

Spellthief is from Complete Adventurer, everything else is in the SRD (PHB/DMG).

For extra sneakiness be a Whisper Gnome from Races of Stone (I think).

Bye
Thanee

EccentricBard

First Post
Alright, I'm pretty happy with all the options that have opened up to me at this stage. Arcane Tricker with the suggested level distribution from Thanee seems to be really good. If im not mistaken,at level 20 I would have the spells of a level 18 wizard, and with practiced caster a caster level of 20?

I went through the Beguiler but I didn't like Suprise Casting, (Although at level 20 it seems really good). Going Bard was what I did last campaign,so I doubt I'll do it again,although it was a blast. My DM really hates Bards. He views them as the archenemy of Duskblades for some reason.

My characters are typically N.Good or C.Good,though I don't like Lawful Stupid :p, so Assassin is out of the question.

Also,I don't know much about 4e,but why do people ask me what books I'm using if I'm posting on the pre-4e forum?

Daggerspell guy seems REALLY cool,and I am going to use him in one of our upcoming campaigns for sure. Thanks for that Darklone.

So,regardless,I think im going Arcane Trickster. Does anyone have any idea for Feats? Also, will there be an XP penalty for going Rogue 1/ Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster X?

If I have it right,Rogue/Spellthief do not conflict since they are both within one level of each other. Im going Moon Elf,so my favoured class is Wizard,so that's not a problem. Do prestige classes invoke XP penalties?

Thanks for all the help.You guys have been great.Thanks for the warm welcome! :lol:

Edit : Are there any better races for this build? I don't have Races of Stone,and I prefer Elves anyway on account of awesome.

Last edited:

Remove ads