D&D 5E Here Are The Races In The New Eberron Book

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

ECWPIdDU4AIpBse.jpg

Official versions of previous playtest races: Warforged, Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters.

Playable versions of: Goblins, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs.

He goes on to clarifiy that "The playable orc in "Eberron" is a bit different from the orc in "Volo's Guide to Monster's." The playable goblinoids in "Eberron" use the same traits as the ones in "Volo's."

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
I wonder how the gobbo, hobgobbo, bugbear, and orc interact with the 16 race/subrace options mentioned in the product overview for the book, since if they count, that means we're getting at most 8 dragonmarks, which seems odd, unless the 16 doesn't count the dragonmarks which seems unlikely given the wording.

The product overview said:
Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.

MarkB

Legend
I wonder how the gobbo, hobgobbo, bugbear, and orc interact with the 16 race/subrace options mentioned in the product overview for the book, since if they count, that means we're getting at most 8 dragonmarks, which seems odd, unless the 16 doesn't count the dragonmarks which seems unlikely given the wording.
Well, it does say new subrace options. If the goblins and hobgoblins are reprints of their Volo's Guide versions, they wouldn't count as new.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
From what JC said, I'd say the orc would count as new since it'll be different to the one in Volo's. That would put us a dragonmark down.

oreofox

Explorer
I hope WotC doesn't do like they did in 3e, where we ended up with about 4 reprints of the thri-kreen race in 4 different books. Knowing the 3 goblinoids are just reprints from Volo's makes me sad. Curious how the orcs differ. If it is just removing the penalty to Int, that's kinda lame.

Still, looking forward to the officially published warforged, shifter, etc.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Another possibility is that maybe they aren't counting each dragonmark as an individual subrace, and instead are putting all the dragonmarks for a race under one "dragonmarked" subrace (and then giving the individual abilities for each mark)?

So instead of four "human subraces" for Cannith, Deneith, Orien, & Tharashk there's a single "dragonmarked" human subrace, and then you select the abilities you get for it based on the mark you have? It could just be an organizational thing for them, no idea.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another possibility is that maybe they aren't counting each dragonmark as an individual subrace, and instead are putting all the dragonmarks for a race under one "dragonmarked" subrace (and then giving the individual abilities for each mark)?

So instead of four "human subraces" for Cannith, Deneith, Orien, & Tharashk there's a single "dragonmarked" human subrace, and then you select the abilities you get for it based on the mark you have? It could just be an organizational thing for them, no idea.

They tested all 12 subraces in UA, and they got good marks. I'm thinking they are not counting the repeats from Volo's as "new" race options, even if the Orc is changed up.

Remove ads

Remove ads