D&D 5E Here Are The Races In The New Eberron Book

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

According to WotC's Jeremy Crawford, the following eight races appear in Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

ECWPIdDU4AIpBse.jpg

Official versions of previous playtest races: Warforged, Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters.

Playable versions of: Goblins, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs.

He goes on to clarifiy that "The playable orc in "Eberron" is a bit different from the orc in "Volo's Guide to Monster's." The playable goblinoids in "Eberron" use the same traits as the ones in "Volo's."

I would they wouldn't do much to the orcs apart from removing the intelligence penalty to bring them in line with the general playable race policy. They possibly could do with a bit of help to stop them being inferior to half orcs. I can't think of anything in Eberron lore that would make them really distinguishable from half orcs.
Easiest thing for them to do IMO would be to give them a +1 to Wis to emphasize their Druidic roots. That and replacing Aggressive with something more useful please and thank you!

I guess we have to admit the goblins from Warcraft with their steampunk touch may have been a great influence.

Eberron is the best world to play PCs from "monster" races.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I would be interested in how you (or anyone else) would stat an Eberron orc PC race.

I just took the Half-Orc from the PHB and changed the following:

1). +1 to wisdom, instead of constitution.
2). Insight proficiency, instead of Intimidation.
3). Detect Magic and Protection from Evil and Good 1/long rest each, instead of Savage Attacks.

The Orc Life Cleric in the party was happy with the changes. She said that she felt like her character really could have been from “some kind of 19th century-Lord of the Rings-mirror universe”.

The presence of Goblins as a core race in Pathfinder 2, might also be part of the increased significance of Goblins, even though their Goblins seem to be more of the psychotic Gremlin types.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They'd be foolish to NOT have Greyhawk -- specifically Castle Greyhawk -- as a 50th anniversary release. (Of course, there's all the drama around Gail Gygax, though, so it might not be worth it from a financial standpoint.)

I think we will see something around 2024, God willing and the creek don't rise.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
It'll be the 3rd book that has Goblin PC stats, I'm of the opinion Goblins should have been in the PHB to begin with. I feel they might be more popular than the other 3 in many campaigns, as being small and "funny" makes them more acceptable or sympathetic out of the other "antagonistic" humanoid races.

I'm glad they're doing it for Eberron since those races have a big and different presence in the campaign that they don't typically have in others.

If you like goblins, you might like Pathfinder 2. They are a core race now

R_J_K75

Legend
The way things are going, a Greyhawk book will probably happen eventually: however, several settings are ahead in line, and we may see several books use Greyhawk piecemeal first, as Ghosts of Saltmarsh does.

When WotC surveyed peopel regarding their favorite settings for D&D, there three tiers:

1. Forgotten Realms (covered), Ravenloft (covered), Eberron (covered), Dark Sun, Planescape, and Dragonlance

2. Greyhawk and Spelljammer

3. Everything else (Mystarra, Birthright, etc.)

In addition to this book, expect to see Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Planecape before Greyhawk. Maybe even Spelljammer, who knows? Greyahwk might be 50th anniversary material, if you ask me.

Personally I cant wait for the JAKANDOR: ISLAND OF WAR 5E conversion. :LOL:!! That probably sold maybe 8 copies ever, I think that box set sat on my local Media Play shelf until they went bankrupt. All kidding aside...

I think you might be on to something with Greyhawk, they may do a whole year of that stuff that year. Or maybe some Dragonlance thrown in at that time. Ive never played either so I would rather they wait to adapt those to 5E. I'd like to see them role Planescape and Spelljammer into one hard back book or boxed set. I know they are technically 2 separate settings but I think they compliment each other enough to justify that like they did in 4E. Id like to see them return to the campaign setting format rather than the mega adventures that we've been getting. But thats just my opinion, I really miss the cool fold out maps from the 2E days.

Remove ads

Remove ads