D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie. From ICv2: Playmats...

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Easy to do in a VTT. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if a programmable dice exists for this too.
The D&D Beyond dice have been getting more and more involved in recent months. (I'm guessing they changed the coding on them to allow for more effects.) I wouldn't be surprised if March's subscriber bonus was movie-related dice and wallpaper.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I really don't understand how they can have so little and such bad marketing products for this. You would think they would sell miniatures of the main characters of the movie, tie-in starter sets etc. Anything else for the game. This seems really lazy and they only use two concept art pieces, one of Chris Pine and the other of the Ooze, which we've seen before. Where is the other art and all other products?
These are all third party products, so they don't have access to everything.

Why WotC is not releasing more stuff themselves is a mystery, to be sure.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't need a new starter box with a new movie cover, I don't need a book with gaming stats for . . . what? The characters? I don't need a tie-in adventure. Do you really think the movie going public is going to see the movie, get excited for the game, and not be able to figure out that the "Starter Set" in Target is what they want? The entire D&D line is tied into the movie, by virtue of the logo and the setting of the film, the Forgotten Realms.
You aren't the audience for them. If a movie-branded starter set only brought in 10% more new players than not doing it would, that's a huge long-term win for D&D. Heck, they could pay for the development of the boxed set out of the marketing budget and justify it.

The movies-to-game-to-movies loop is supposed to be a virtuous circle, but that only works if there's an actual effort to feed customers through the entire cycle.

"Build it and they will come" is a marketing plan that ends in failure.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I know folks aint going to like it, but WotC is on the cusp of launching an anniversary edition in 2024. Its likely thats when the gaming tie ins will happen.
Why on earth would they wait a year to do movie stuff instead of just going all-in on golden anniversary branding?

If they're doing movie stuff in 2024, does that mean we have to wait until 2025 or later for the 50th anniversary stuff?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Why on earth would they wait a year to do movie stuff instead of just going all-in on golden anniversary branding?

If they're doing movie stuff in 2024, does that mean we have to wait until 2025 or later for the 50th anniversary stuff?
Are you saying they cant work on 50th anniversary and movie tie in products at the same time?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The premise of the movie based on the trailer is that the party were hired to steal something only to find out that what they stole would lead to something terrible, so they are trying to undo it. The Golden Vault book is a bunch of short heist adventures. I could see the logic that they would want a heist focused adventure for existing and new fans inspired to play a heist-style adventure after seeing the movie. So, while not a movie tie-in (unless a golden vault features prominently in the film), it is at least synergistic with it.
It would have taken them very little effort to have the generic rogues on the front cover of Golden Vault be the characters from the movie.

You all are putting in a lot more thought into how these would work together than WotC has.

Remove ads

Remove ads