D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

MarkB

Legend
These are all third party products, so they don't have access to everything.

Why WotC is not releasing more stuff themselves is a mystery, to be sure.
In terms of actual game-mechanical product, they do have a very set-in-stone product schedule over the next year, combined with them developing and playtesting a semi-new ruleset. (Plus that whole try-to-take-over-the-gaming-world project they were expecting to be working on). Quite possibly they simply didn't have the time and staff to dedicate to developing any serious tie-in material.

Also, the studio have done a remarkably good job so far of keeping a very tight lid on the actual plot of the movie. All we've had to go on is hints from some interviews plus the trailers. That tight security may have extended to not even letting WotC know all that much detail about it, at least in terms of allowing any of their product development staff in on it (they're not exactly immune to leaks, after all). So WotC may simply not have been in a position to develop much that ties in with the details of the movie, thus the only tie-in products so far featuring nothing more pertinent than some publicity material.

Maybe they'll work on something in time for the streaming release.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Because they aren't releasing a new edition, and I know folks have trouble accepting this, but if you use DnDBeyond it is sort of obvious. There isn't going to come a moment when all your content on DDB is suddenly no longer usable. All the books that you buy this year will continue to work with books that are published the year after, just as your books from 2014 will work with books from 2024 and beyond. Everything is interconnected on DDB.

What will likely happen when the updated PHB comes out is that the 2014 edition becomes "legacy content," meaning they will stop selling it but you can keep using it if you prefer. When Monsters of the Multiverse came out, my Volo's and Mordenkainen's content didn't go anywhere. When I finally did purchase MotM, several months later, it supplanted them...until I toggled them back on, as legacy content (I prefer the way they handle spell lists for creatures).

The old editions paradigm is dead. WotC needs to keep everything compatible because the the backbone of the game is no longer the books on your shelf, it's the integrated marketplace of DDB.
Ok, but in 2024 the game will have minor differences and maybe they want to highlight that with a movie tie in gamer set for the anniversary. I didn't mean to set off your aint an edition change alarm bell. We still dont know what to call these updates, and they will continue, and at some point 2014 will not really be fully compatible. I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So? Chris Pine's character gets eaten by a gelatinous cube? Major spoiler.
Which character goes into the cube in the trailer? I just saw it was someone jumping out of the way of the displacer beast in the arena, but not who. (And this is an extremely well stocked arena, for the record.)

Dire Bare

Legend
Which character goes into the cube in the trailer? I just saw it was someone jumping out of the way of the displacer beast in the arena, but not who. (And this is an extremely well stocked arena, for the record.)
If you look at the artwork in the OP, and which also appears on the packaging for the gelatinous cube action figure, it's Chris Pine in the cube. It's also clear in some of the trailers that two characters jump into the cube, and one of them is Pine.

Emrico

Adventurer
I am definitely going to get the dice tray if it's decent quality. I don't have one yet and I like the style and size of that one.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
This warns the Magic player in me that there'll probably be a Secret Lair drop in March that includes a crossover for the movie, not that Ultra Pro hasn't made accessories specifically for D&D before but that art on the binder/playmat looks better than your standard run of the mill concept art.

Argyle King

Legend
At least two of the products seem to push using cards while playing D&D.

Is it common to use a lot of cards while playing D&D?

The dice try is kinda cool, but it's difficult -for me personally- to ignore that it is virtually identical to a tray that I bought for around $10 a few years ago. The main difference seems to be a newer version of the logo. That doesn't bother me though. The "official" store at the college I went to was the same way: what would otherwise be a basic $3-$4 notebook turned into a $10 product when the school logo was on it.

I'm sure that somebody out there is the target audience for these products.

I can see now why there was/is so much concern over other people being able to use the old open license to put out products.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases