• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Here's A Look At 3 Adventures from the Radiant Citadel

Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel features 13 adventures, all written by people of colour. Here's a quick peek at three of them, as details start to emerge across the internet! Salted Legacy (1st level, Surena Marie). Rival merchant families are at war in the Night Market. Various challenges such as a timed cooking challenge. Written in Blood (3rd level, Erin Roberts). Based on the black...

Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel features 13 adventures, all written by people of colour. Here's a quick peek at three of them, as details start to emerge across the internet!
  • Salted Legacy (1st level, Surena Marie). Rival merchant families are at war in the Night Market. Various challenges such as a timed cooking challenge.
  • Written in Blood (3rd level, Erin Roberts). Based on the black experience in the Southern US, features a haunted farm and commoners who becoming violent; the adventurers need to figure out why without harming them.
  • Shadow of the Sun (11th level, Justice Arman). Persian-themed, factions in a city ruled by a celestial being are in conflict.

citadel_alt.jpg

The full list of adventures is:
  • Salted Legacy
  • Written In Blood
  • The Fiend of Hollow Mine
  • Wages of Vice
  • Sins of Our Elders
  • Gold for Fools and Princes
  • Trail of Destruction
  • In the Mists of Manivarsha
  • Between Tangled Roots
  • Shadow of the Sun
  • The Nightsea’s Succor
  • Buried Dynasty
  • Orchids of the Invisible Mountain

jgsugden

Legend
Oh, man that was years ago.
Would explain the disappearance of the WotC forums though.
Yeah, they stopped engaging their own forums a little bit before they took them down.
You're playing connect the dots on a Jackson Pollock. The reasoning posted for why they took down their forums was that their forums were not providing unique value and they could let others bear the cost of maintaining forums without losing any of the benefit of having them out there.
Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.
Trevor Kidd, then of WotC said the following on Twitter:
... Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere.
As we can see, their expressly said that the forum discussions were valuable - but why the %@$& should they foot the bill for them when Enworld did a better job and it didn't cost them a penny?

That contradicts the idea that they closed the forums and ran away from posting on them because they thought that the opinion expressed there was opposite the general fan.

Now, I expressly remember contradictions like poll results telling them that the majority of D&D players did not use feats, while the vast majority of message board based users did. So there were contradictions - but they also talked a bit about how the situation was more complex than that simple discussion stated. For example, there was discussion of how important the dedicated fans that visited the boards were as ambassadors of the game. However, there was never a lick of evidence that I saw that indicated that the boards going away was due to a lack of respect for the value of the discussion expressed on them in terms of the general approach to the game of the general playing public.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
As someone who was on the WotC forums, there was absolutely no value in any of those discussions.
As someone who was there as well, there was a lot of negativity towards 5E, but given that the people who were on the forums were largely interested in 4E, that shouldn't be surprising.

There was a tremendous community of 4E discussion and support (builds, optimization and the like) and that was really useful in that context.

It was not at all useful for the game that 5E was developing into, and I think most of the arguments or hate came from that. Wotc made some tough decisions about the game they were going to build. I don't think they would go back and do things differently from where we are now of course.

It's years later, and that's all water under the bridge that's long gone.

Wotc has a strong online presence now, but it's completely different from the way it was back then. I had a great series of conversations with Mearls about some errata that you would never see now. Part of the reason is that for every person who was polite and friendly, there were seemingly dozens who ... weren't.

D&D today wouldn't benefit from the same forum structure as we had back then, but to say that the discussions weren't useful or fruitful is only true from a certain point of view, which of course is where the game has gone now.

Vaalingrade

Legend
There was a tremendous community of 4E discussion and support (builds, optimization and the like) and that was really useful in that context.
That we did... in the roughly thirty seconds between anti-4e incursions by trolls... or at least that one guy who make (at leas count) 12 sock puppets but was never smart enough to change his Warforged avatar.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You're playing connect the dots on a Jackson Pollock. The reasoning posted for why they took down their forums was that their forums were not providing unique value and they could let others bear the cost of maintaining forums without losing any of the benefit of having them out there.Trevor Kidd, then of WotC said the following on Twitter:As we can see, their expressly said that the forum discussions were valuable - but why the %@$& should they foot the bill for them when Enworld did a better job and it didn't cost them a penny?

That contradicts the idea that they closed the forums and ran away from posting on them because they thought that the opinion expressed there was opposite the general fan.

Now, I expressly remember contradictions like poll results telling them that the majority of D&D players did not use feats, while the vast majority of message board based users did. So there were contradictions - but they also talked a bit about how the situation was more complex than that simple discussion stated. For example, there was discussion of how important the dedicated fans that visited the boards were as ambassadors of the game. However, there was never a lick of evidence that I saw that indicated that the boards going away was due to a lack of respect for the value of the discussion expressed on them in terms of the general approach to the game of the general playing public.
And yet...they haven't engaged with forums in years and years.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads