• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Here's A Look At 3 Adventures from the Radiant Citadel

Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel features 13 adventures, all written by people of colour. Here's a quick peek at three of them, as details start to emerge across the internet! Salted Legacy (1st level, Surena Marie). Rival merchant families are at war in the Night Market. Various challenges such as a timed cooking challenge. Written in Blood (3rd level, Erin Roberts). Based on the black...

Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel features 13 adventures, all written by people of colour. Here's a quick peek at three of them, as details start to emerge across the internet!
  • Salted Legacy (1st level, Surena Marie). Rival merchant families are at war in the Night Market. Various challenges such as a timed cooking challenge.
  • Written in Blood (3rd level, Erin Roberts). Based on the black experience in the Southern US, features a haunted farm and commoners who becoming violent; the adventurers need to figure out why without harming them.
  • Shadow of the Sun (11th level, Justice Arman). Persian-themed, factions in a city ruled by a celestial being are in conflict.

citadel_alt.jpg

The full list of adventures is:
  • Salted Legacy
  • Written In Blood
  • The Fiend of Hollow Mine
  • Wages of Vice
  • Sins of Our Elders
  • Gold for Fools and Princes
  • Trail of Destruction
  • In the Mists of Manivarsha
  • Between Tangled Roots
  • Shadow of the Sun
  • The Nightsea’s Succor
  • Buried Dynasty
  • Orchids of the Invisible Mountain

The 5e skill system is actually the heart of the game, it's just been well hidden under a layer of "traditional D&D language" to make it less obvious to those of us who have been playing the game across multiple editions - but new players figure it out very quickly. (In fact it was watching my groups of teenagers and seeing how they see the skill list as the major focus of their character sheet rather than their combat bonuses as the first step towards my realization of what Wizards actually did with the 5e redesign and starting to appreciate it a bit more than I had in the past).
Yep, this was my realization when introducing the game to 8-13 year olds at a Summer Camp. The game we actually spent most our time playing and most enjoyed was "trying things with skills and narrating outcomes". It's unfortunate that the elaborate skill challenges we call "combat" are so granular and complicated as they tended to bog down a robust little storytelling game in elaborate wargaming rules that didn't really appeal to most of my campers.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
WotC really can't win.

People have complained for quite a while that the other two pillars - exploration and social - don't get enough loving in published products. That the game as presented is really combat heavy. And, really, that's not an unreasonable criticism. Most of the modules are very combat heavy, the supplements are chock full of new ways to kill stuff or new stuff to kill.

Yeah, we've gotten some stuff like the ship rules in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but, again, those rules were about ship COMBAT, and not a whole lot on how to actually run a ship, crew, and whatnot with a ship in the game.

So, WotC listens to the fandom and starts coming out with some stuff that isn't quite so combat focused. Strixhaven, Candlekeep, and now this.

And people endlessly jump into every thread to bitch about how the game is all fluffy and if you don't want combat why are you playing D&D?

:erm:

Eh, considering they grow their profits every year, I wonder how much the D&D team thinks about social media criticism. It seems they take criticism seriously when it also translates into actual articles on Polygon for example... but if the critics can't get that far, I'm not sure they care.

Hasbro is a megacorporation with enough experencie about toxic criticism and how defend the prestige of the brand. D&D is becoming very famous, and some times when a poppy flower grows taller than others somebody wants to cut it.

They can hire psicologies to explain how TTRPG in the right hands can be very good of the mental health, as a subtile therapy, or to teach social skills for youngest players.

Usually the customers should realise when some members of the social members are toxic, and their words really don't help to fix anything.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh, considering they grow their profits every year, I wonder how much the D&D team thinks about social media criticism. It seems they take criticism seriously when it also translates into actual articles on Polygon for example... but if the critics can't get that far, I'm not sure they care.
Back in the playtest, WotC said they discovered that forum received opinion was pretty close to being the opposite of general customer opinion...and then they stopped posting on forums.

jgsugden

Legend
Back in the playtest, WotC said they discovered that forum received opinion was pretty close to being the opposite of general customer opinion...and then they stopped posting on forums.
I missed this statement. Where was it said, and by whom? It seems an odd thing to say, even if true.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads