Pathfinder 2E Here's A Pathfinder 2E Goblin

Paizo has shared part of its upcoming Bestiary for Pathfinder 2nd Edition with a quick look at the goblin entry.

EALsI6GW4AAIRNM.jpg

How does this differ from the playtest version? Let's take a look! Generally the layout is much the same with some minor tweaks; the differences appear to be under the hood as various numbers change.

• It's gone from CREATURE 0 to CREATURE -1.
  • Perception has increased from +1 to +2.
  • Skills no longer have an initial 'blanket' entry; in the playtest goblin skills were "–2; Acrobatics +3, Athletics +3, Stealth +5"; now they're "Acrobaitcs +5, Athletics +2, Nature +1, Stealth +5".
  • Con has increased to +1
  • AC has gone from 14 to 16, TAC is gone, Fort, Ref, and Will have all increased significantly
  • Dogslicer attack has gone from +6 to +8 and now has finesse added
  • Shortbow attack has gone from +6 to +8, and various additional info added in parenthesis

Last edited by a moderator:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Thanks for this. Looks pretty good, though I do not like the idea of a goblin with reach - I don't care how big the weapon it wields is ;)

As a veteran of the Edition Wars (2007-2011 were grim days for this hobby), I find immense irony and humour in how much PF2 reminds me of 4E. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
As a veteran of the Edition Wars (2007-2011 were grim days for his hobby), I find immense irony and humour in how much PF2 reminds me of 4E. lol

Those stat blocks look like 3e to me. Slightly better organized 3e, but still 3e.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The use of color blocks, and the various symbols, and the erasure of certain details, are what add a 4E tinge to me.
(I have a critique of the elements that I'm working on, but that doesn't pertain to possible 4E similarities.)

Teemu

Hero
The goblin scuttle ability is certainly a bit reminiscent of the 4e goblin's racial ability. It's not identical, but they're both off-turn actions in reaction to a trigger that allow the goblin to move 5 feet without provoking attacks.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Oof. That "As goblin warrior" reference is a little painful.

It works in the context of the book: both stat blocks show up on the same page, referencing the thing nearby is easy. Okay. But in an adventure where you might not have an encounter that features both creatures, you suddenly have to change the Commando's stat block, or else you are page-flipping to find the reference. Even worse in an online SRD, without a lot of back-links.

May not seem like a big deal for one ability in one stat block here, but imagine dragons of different ages all referring back to each other. Or any number of other instances where there are several variations of a monster with several similar abilities that may require references like this.

The scuttle ability does remind me of 4e in a way. The wording is kind of weird too. Why wouldn't it just say "when a goblin ends its action adjacent to a player character" (or enemy for that matter) instead of "a warrior"? Just reads strange to me.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
That horse chopper 10ft reach does seem a little anime-ish. Human with a spear, 5ft reach, human with a pike 10ft reach. 3 ft goblin has 10ft reach...just visually odd to me as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases