D&D 5E Here's Dragons of Stormwreck Isle's Table of Contents

Enterprising fans have managed to decipher the table of contents from the upcoming starter set, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The ToC was posted Reddit by a user named bobbness. The boxed set comes out in July (if you're in America) or October (if you're not). Here is is in full! Running the Adventure Overview Role of the Dungeon Master Adventure Maps The Forgotten Realms Adventure...

Enterprising fans have managed to decipher the table of contents from the upcoming starter set, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle.

The ToC was posted Reddit by a user named bobbness. The boxed set comes out in July (if you're in America) or October (if you're not).

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.38.54 AM.png

Here is is in full!

Running the Adventure
Overview
Role of the Dungeon Master
Adventure Maps
The Forgotten Realms
Adventure Background
- Adventure Outline
Getting Started
- Number of Players

Chapter 1: Dragon's Rest
Welcome to Dragon's Rest
Drowned Sailors
Meeting the Inhabitants
Dragon's Rest Locations
Character Quests
Exploring the Island
Hot Springs House
There, There, Owlbear
Kobold Renegades
What Lies Beneath

Chapter 2: Seagrow Caves
Caves Overview
- Seagrow Caves Features
Running This Chapter
Approaching at Sea Level
Approaching from Above
Exploring the Caves
Interacting with Myconids
-Seagrow Caves Locations
Ending this Chapter
- Gain a Level

Chapter 3: The Wreck of Compass Rose
Shipwreck Overview
- Shipwreck Features
Running this Chapter
Shipwreck Locations
Harpy's _____
Ending this Chapter
- Gain a Level

Chapter 4: Clifftop Observatory
Observatory Overview
- Observatory Features
Running this Chapter
Approaching by Land
Approaching by Water
Sparkrender Kobold ______
Observatory Locations
Sparkrender’s ______
Ending the Adventure

Appendix A: Magic Items
Using a Magic Item
Item Descriptions

Appendix B: Creatures
Creature Stat Blocks
Creature Descriptions
Credits

The adventure references a location called Dragon’s Rest — which is also the name of an old Dragonlance module set in the continent of Taladas.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The key phrase here is "with some guidance". Even now there are people out there who don't have guidance and a starter set should have them in mind too.

Yeah, but I mean that I have given guidance to hundreds of players (over multiple editions) to make characters before playing and I've found that NOT DOING THAT (and instead giving them pregens) works much, much better. I am sure that there are a few people who would have enjoyed making characters, and those people will still enjoy making characters in a session or two, but most players are much better off playing the game first.

Not asking new players to create characters when they don't know how the game works seems fairly obvious to me. I would always start with pregens until the player understands how the game works. Which is a good reason to make the starter adventure short. Once they understand the game most players will want to create their own character, which means dropping the pregen.

A mini-campaign like Lost Mines is actually too long to make a good starter adventure.

On making the Diana-based pregen a thief rogue (what is this, 1982?) this is presumably so there is a standard party composition. I would guess she will have a special feat (as a vuman) that lets her treat a staff as a finesse weapon. This is where it is appropriate for the DM to mod rules so the character can better fit the concept (they could even make it a tutorial point).

It's also worth noting that all the pregens are human. So there is no need for this starter set to touch on linages at all.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I'm another one surprised by the lack of char-gen - basically, the rules booklet in the Essentials Kit is close to perfect, so I'm at something of a loss as to why you wouldn't just include that. And it's not like it's an either/or - no reason you can't include 4-5 pregen character sheets as well as a blank for players to photocopy.

But my main interest in this set lies in the adventure - "Lost Mine of Phandelver" was great, but having run it twice it would be good to have another comparable adventure (and, sadly, "Dragons of Icespire Peak" just didn't impress).

[
Yeah, but I mean that I have given guidance to hundreds of players (over multiple editions) to make characters before playing and I've found that NOT DOING THAT (and instead giving them pregens) works much, much better. I am sure that there are a few people who would have enjoyed making characters, and those people will still enjoy making characters in a session or two, but most players are much better off playing the game first.

Oh. Then I rather agree. Seems I have read not carefully enough.

I would say that it also works well if you just ask, what race and background they want and what their character should be good at and just make them a personal pregen.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Not asking new players to create characters when they don't know how the game works seems fairly obvious to me. I would always start with pregens until the player understands how the game works. Which is a good reason to make the starter adventure short. Once they understand the game most players will want to create their own character, which means dropping the pregen.

A mini-campaign like Lost Mines is actually too long to make a good starter adventure.
I’ve said it before, but I think LMoP was an intro adventure to 5e not D&D in general. I.e. a welcome mat for existing players and DMs.

I find it funny that the one that says "rogue" under it is armed with a quarterstaff. I have a rogue character that I've played on-and-off for twenty-five years who used to use a quarterstaff, but it's been several editions of D&D in which that has been, let's call it, very "sub-optimal".
It looks like they used the characters from the 80's cartoon and the rouge pictured is Diana the thief-acrobat
yes I kow the cartoon, but in 5e stafff can't be a sneak attack right? unless that is a change or she has a special ability she will not only be suboptimal but activly not useing her main combat ability

Staff Fighter
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+
You gain the following benefits:
  • When you take the Attack action and attack with only quarterstaff held in two hands, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. This attack uses the same ability modifier as the primary attack. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d6, and it deals bludgeoning damage.
  • While you are wielding a quarterstaff held in two hands it gains the finesse property.
  • You have advantage on acrobatics skill checks whilst wielding a quarterstaff in both hands.

On making the Diana-based pregen a thief rogue (what is this, 1982?) this is presumably so there is a standard party composition. I would guess she will have a special feat (as a vuman) that lets her treat a staff as a finesse weapon. This is where it is appropriate for the DM to mod rules so the character can better fit the concept (they could even make it a tutorial point).

It's also worth noting that all the pregens are human. So there is no need for this starter set to touch on linages at all.
I would love if the 5.5/6/anniversary edition just let all weapons be fitness

Staff Fighter
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+
You gain the following benefits:
  • When you take the Attack action and attack with only quarterstaff held in two hands, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. This attack uses the same ability modifier as the primary attack. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d6, and it deals bludgeoning damage.
  • While you are wielding a quarterstaff held in two hands it gains the finesse property.
  • You have advantage on acrobatics skill checks whilst wielding a quarterstaff in both hands.
is this homebrew third party or do you know it's in the book?!?!

Remove ads

Remove ads