D&D 5E Here's Dragons of Stormwreck Isle's Table of Contents

Enterprising fans have managed to decipher the table of contents from the upcoming starter set, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The ToC was posted Reddit by a user named bobbness. The boxed set comes out in July (if you're in America) or October (if you're not). Here is is in full! Running the Adventure Overview Role of the Dungeon Master Adventure Maps The Forgotten Realms Adventure...

Enterprising fans have managed to decipher the table of contents from the upcoming starter set, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle.

The ToC was posted Reddit by a user named bobbness. The boxed set comes out in July (if you're in America) or October (if you're not).

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.38.54 AM.png

Here is is in full!

Running the Adventure
Overview
Role of the Dungeon Master
Adventure Maps
The Forgotten Realms
Adventure Background
- Adventure Outline
Getting Started
- Number of Players

Chapter 1: Dragon's Rest
Welcome to Dragon's Rest
Drowned Sailors
Meeting the Inhabitants
Dragon's Rest Locations
Character Quests
Exploring the Island
Hot Springs House
There, There, Owlbear
Kobold Renegades
What Lies Beneath

Chapter 2: Seagrow Caves
Caves Overview
- Seagrow Caves Features
Running This Chapter
Approaching at Sea Level
Approaching from Above
Exploring the Caves
Interacting with Myconids
-Seagrow Caves Locations
Ending this Chapter
- Gain a Level

Chapter 3: The Wreck of Compass Rose
Shipwreck Overview
- Shipwreck Features
Running this Chapter
Shipwreck Locations
Harpy's _____
Ending this Chapter
- Gain a Level

Chapter 4: Clifftop Observatory
Observatory Overview
- Observatory Features
Running this Chapter
Approaching by Land
Approaching by Water
Sparkrender Kobold ______
Observatory Locations
Sparkrender’s ______
Ending the Adventure

Appendix A: Magic Items
Using a Magic Item
Item Descriptions

Appendix B: Creatures
Creature Stat Blocks
Creature Descriptions
Credits

The adventure references a location called Dragon’s Rest — which is also the name of an old Dragonlance module set in the continent of Taladas.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I would love if the 5.5/6/anniversary edition just let all weapons be fitness
I'm hoping that the armor and weapon charts are the two things that get the most work done on them for the upcoming revamps. I've always believed that those charts were just made up initially at the beginning of the edition design so that playtesters had something to use... but then nobody went back later in the process to actually refine them and clean them up for publication (as the spear/trident issue would have been the first thing pointed out as being kind of stupid, along with the Rogue's proficiency in longswords but no way to use it for any of their abilities like Sneak Attack).

Hopefully for this new one the designers go in and really hammer down on a better system across the board-- including things like opening up the chart for more options for Rogues and Monks. For my money... don't do any of this based upon the actual weapons, but do it based on damage die-- if the weapon is a d6... a Rogue can Sneak Attack with it, regardless of what weapon it is. By the same token... if you are okay with the Rogue and Monk having a d8 damage weapon (the Rapier for the Rogue and the Versatile Quarterstaff / Spear for the Monk)... then again just let them use any d8 weapon so they can create the stylistic choice for their character that they want.

Truth be told, that's what I pretty much do now for my players anyway-- they can select the "best" damage die option for what a Rogue or Monk could use in the style they are fighting (two-handed, weapon/empty hand, dual-wielding etc.) and they can make that weapon whatever they want. So if the Monk wants to fight with a "sickle"... they can use the d6 damage die for it as though they were just using a shortsword. Because why not? Nothing is thrown off in the game by allowing them do so.

Last edited:

I'm hoping that the armor and weapon charts are the two things that get the most work done on them for the upcoming revamps. I've always believed that those charts were just made up initially at the beginning of the edition design so that playtesters had something to use... but then nobody went back later in the process to actually refine them and clean them up for publication (as the spear/trident issue would have been the first thing pointed out as being kind of stupid, along with the Rogue's proficiency in longswords but no way to use it for any of their abilities like Sneak Attack).

Hopefully for this new one the designers go in and really hammer down on a better system across the board-- including things like opening up the chart for more options for Rogues and Monks. For my money... don't do any of this based upon the actual weapons, but do it based on damage die-- if the weapon is a d6... a Rogue can Sneak Attack with it, regardless of what weapon it is. By the same token... if you are okay with the Rogue and Monk having a d8 damage weapon (the Rapier for the Rogue and the Quarterstaff / Versatile Spear for the Monk)... then again just let them use any d8 weapon so they can create the stylistic choice for their character that they want.

Truth be told, that's what I pretty much do now for my players anyway-- they can select the "best" damage die option for what a Rogue or Monk could use in the style they are fighting (two-handed, weapon/empty hand, dual-wielding etc.) and they can make that weapon whatever they want. So if the Monk wants to fight with a "sickle"... they can use the d6 damage die for it as though they were just using a shortsword. Because why not? Nothing is thrown off in the game by allowing them do so.
yeah people say it's a balance issue but I imagine a 10th level rogue with 1 attack with a great sword and another with 2 (2 swords) attacks with short swords... the diffence between 2 attacks 1 for 1d6+3 and 1 for 1d6 if either hits add 5d6 from 1 attack for 2d6+3+5d6 is minimal

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm another one surprised by the lack of char-gen - basically, the rules booklet in the Essentials Kit is close to perfect, so I'm at something of a loss as to why you wouldn't just include that. And it's not like it's an either/or - no reason you can't include 4-5 pregen character sheets as well as a blank for players to photocopy.

There's only two things I'd say against that: 1) Doing both CharGen and Pregens would make the Starter more expensive (as a retailer I can attest that the price point on 5eStarter is ideal). And 2) It is so ingrained in old players that the first thing you do is make characters, I am sure that, for example, an uncle that played D&D in 1998 that now wants to teach some teems and has the new Starter set (a scenario I have seen dozens of times, hundreds with tweaks) is gonna start with that. Which, IMPO is a mistake.

It's nice to have both, sure, but it comes at a cost.

I also wonder - (I am seriously asking this to anyone who feels this way) - Why, if you already know how to play and to make characters, would you want the Starter to have CharGen rules? What difference does it make?

darjr

I crit!
I think it’ll be fine without it.

Still I’ll add why it’s cool. Character creation is part of the game and a lot of us started by making characters. New and old folks to the game.

It can seem like a big chunk is missing without it.

However essentials has it and if this doesn’t there are other things that do as well.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Character creation is part of the game and a lot of us started by making characters. New and old folks to the game.

While that's true, making your first character would still have the same charm even if you played a session or two of the game first (I'd say probably more because you'd at least have a clue as to why you're picking one thing over another), AND I would argue that making a character as the first thing you do has been one (of the many) "barriers to entry" for a lot of people over the years.

Look, I will remind everyone: I am not saying that making a character is a bad/unfun part of the game! It's great! It's just not ideal for first-time players as their first experience of play.

darjr

I crit!
While that's true, making your first character would still have the same charm even if you played a session or two of the game first (I'd say probably more because you'd at least have a clue as to why you're picking one thing over another), AND I would argue that making a character as the first thing you do has been one (of the many) "barriers to entry" for a lot of people over the years.

Look, I will remind everyone: I am not saying that making a character is a bad/unfun part of the game! It's great! It's just not ideal for first-time players as their first experience of play.
I disagree somewhat. Maybe not ideal but it can and has been amazing. Especially for folks having trouble getting into that first game, which thankfully isn’t near as bad as it used to be.

I definitely don’t think it’s a requirement for this box. I’ll be happily surprised if it’s in it.

Do I think it’s best if it isn’t in the box? That’s a good question. Maybe. Especially given all the other sources.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree somewhat. Maybe not ideal but it can and has been amazing. Especially for folks having trouble getting into that first game, which thankfully isn’t near as bad as it used to be.

I definitely don’t think it’s a requirement for this box. I’ll be happily surprised if it’s in it.

Do I think it’s best if it isn’t in the box? That’s a good question. Maybe. Especially given all the other sources.
Well, this new box will still be on the shelf next to the Essentials Kit, which does have character generation.

I also just realized, now that Lost Mines of Phandelver is automatically available to everyone on D&D Beyond, new DMs who get the Essentials Kit and go to Beyond to redeem the digital portion will have an easier time mixing the two Phandelin Modules into a campaign.

Remove ads

Remove ads