Here's That SCAG Table of Contents!

WotC's Extra Life charity funding campaign hit $50,000 just now, and as promised they added the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide table of contents to the already released preface. The chapters are Welcome to the Realms, The Swords Coast and the North, Races of the Realms, Classes, Backgrounds, and a two-page appendix dealing with using the aforementioned options in Dragonlance, Eberron, Greyhawk, and Homemade Worlds.

WotC's Extra Life charity funding campaign hit $50,000 just now, and as promised they added the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide table of contents to the already released preface. The chapters are Welcome to the Realms, The Swords Coast and the North, Races of the Realms, Classes, Backgrounds, and a two-page appendix dealing with using the aforementioned options in Dragonlance, Eberron, Greyhawk, and Homemade Worlds.

Find the preface, released yesterday, here. At $60,000, they will release a new cantrip, Greenflame Blade.

toc.jpg

Click here for the PDF version

Irennan

Explorer
A while back they said they where considereing giving specific gods variations on the domains we already have.
If they went that rouse I wonder if the variations are mentioned in the section on the gods or in the cleric section.

Considering that the cleric subsection says ''Divine Domain'', my guess is that those could be found there. It woud also be strange to put stats and mechanics in the middle of a section that is dedicated to background.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Thats one way to keep your publishing schedule lean: make the splat book and the campaign setting the same book.

Unless they really mess it up, should be good for sales. One small surprise for a FR book: no spells beyond the cantrips.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
At 160 pages, there is a lot less to this book than I was expecting. That's okay, as it appears to be player focused, but it leaves me hoping we get a deeper campaign setting book in the near future.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
One small surprise for a FR book: no spells beyond the cantrips.

I have to wonder if what we are getting here in the SCAG was actually going to be the other stuff that originally was planned to go in the Elemental Evil big player's book that never got announced/cancelled? Perhaps the original intention of the Adventurer's Guide was to come out with EE, but either they determined they wanted more time to playtest a lot of the character options, or that the stuff being written about the Underdark and the dwarven halls for OotA was important enough to hold off the setting guide until OotA was also released?

It might explain why there are no spells in the SCAG, if perhaps the spells that were intended for the EE player's book got split out from the AG and they released them with the EE adventure path book (along with several of the races), and everything else got put on hold to be released now during Rage of Demons so that the Rage of Demons material could be added to the setting material?

It also makes me wonder if perhaps now that we've had three FR adventure paths and a setting/player guide to tie them all together... maybe (just maybe) they're going to move onto a new campaign setting for the next three? Yeah, they'd have to do a little finagling around the Adventurer's League still set around the Moonsea, but if they wanted to move onto a new setting to work on... now's the time to do it (with the campaign guide bringing all the current FR info together.)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Agree. Sometimes I asked myself why is this so. Contents shouldn't be a problem since there is a vast library of old references to look into. Perhaps there are already several other worlds for WOTC to work on for years so Mystara doesn't matter. Perhaps WOTC sees a lack of interest in Mystara from the public. Then I thought maybe WOTC of today do not know much about Mystara so they simply give it a pass.
I think it might actually be a result of most of us big-time Mystara fans not making a great big stink about official support back when WotC first let the setting slip by in 3rd edition. Quite possibly many of us have become so used to tinkering with conversions and fan-expanding the setting that we didn't even show up and have our votes for Mystara counted (I mean, I did, and keep doing, at every possibly relevant survey question, but a lot of others that are into Mystara are just sticking with BECMI and likely didn't bother giving input during playtesting and surveys).

That's me being hopeful though, that it is a "we can wait for Mystara because those fans can handle it" rather than "Mystara isn't popular, so let's skip it entire", which I cling to the few sparse mentions in the core book as evidence of.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have to wonder if what we are getting here in the SCAG was actually going to be the other stuff that originally was planned to go in the Elemental Evil big player's book that never got announced/cancelled? Perhaps the original intention of the Adventurer's Guide was to come out with EE, but either they determined they wanted more time to playtest a lot of the character options, or that the stuff being written about the Underdark and the dwarven halls for OotA was important enough to hold off the setting guide until OotA was also released?

It might explain why there are no spells in the SCAG, if perhaps the spells that were intended for the EE player's book got split out from the AG and they released them with the EE adventure path book (along with several of the races), and everything else got put on hold to be released now during Rage of Demons so that the Rage of Demons material could be added to the setting material?

It also makes me wonder if perhaps now that we've had three FR adventure paths and a setting/player guide to tie them all together... maybe (just maybe) they're going to move onto a new campaign setting for the next three? Yeah, they'd have to do a little finagling around the Adventurer's League still set around the Moonsea, but if they wanted to move onto a new setting to work on... now's the time to do it (with the campaign guide bringing all the current FR info together.)

Could be...and could be.

I would expect a Dark Sun, Eberon or maybe horror/Ravenloft or planar product at some point. Less hope for the other more typical fantasy settings.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
That looks like ALOT of new character archetype options. 20 pages on the Gods is much more than I want. The endless pantheon sections campaign books are so tedious. I thought the PHB had just enough info.

Especially with wikipedia 1 second away on any connected device. As others mentioned, an article would be enough to avoid a ton of boring prose about what such and such represents, what his chosen wear, and what kind of temples they like to build.

It's fine world-building info, but there's so much of it that really isn't that gameable except under extremely specific circumstances. I mean, beyond a single descriptive line or two per temple/high-level cleric, how many GMs out there are really taking the time to make every one of those things feel markedly different, and moreover, true to canon?

timbannock

Hero
Supporter

Makes a lot of sense. Also, if they stick to two big adventure thingies per year, they could easily do one in FR each year as the "tried and true thing" and one in some other setting so they can dip their toes in. Or keep Adventurer's League as the FR thing and get a little more experimental with adventure paths, but I truly don't see that happening yet. FR is big bucks.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
On the general subject of SCAG: if it's due for release on November 3rd, how much earlier will the Premier Stores get it?

And are there Premier Stores that offer pre-orders by mail?

Remove ads

Remove ads