• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think we all missed an important detail in this painting. She's wearing bodywear with gloves under her other clothes...

View attachment 356013(like this...this example was the most appropriate image for posting here without offending Morris's grandmother)

...but she cut off the fingers.

View attachment 356014

Now, I'll admit to having worn gloves with the top halves of the fingers cut off, and smoking Swisher Sweets Cigarillos, but I was 19 and a ridiculous person.

So can we please spend the next 50 pages discussing whether:

(A) she just has great, trend-setting fashion sense;

(B) she is a ridiculous young apprentice (seems too powerful of a castor, but maybe she stole her professor's glasses of spell storing), or

(C) Somatic components don't work for casting unless the tips of your fingers are uncovered.

Surely this is an important and compelling detail that deserves more attention than her glasses, what spells she's casting, or the colors of her outerwear.

Hmmm....

It doesn't feel like a body suit to me. I think those might just be elbow length gloves. And I would come down on the idea that Somatic components can work with full gloves, but the more tactile feel and extra precision of fingerless gloves make it less likely you will make a mistake in the crafting.

It reminds me of being in marching band. We always had to cut our gloves fingers off, because you just couldn't play the woodwinds as effectively with fingered gloves.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

(B) she is a ridiculous young apprentice (seems too powerful of a castor, but maybe she stole her professor's glasses of spell storing), or

(C) Somatic components don't work for casting unless the tips of your fingers are uncovered.

(D) Castles are chilly, but turning the pages of that book next to her with gloved fingers doesn't work well.

I bought a nice pair of merino wool work gloves that have the fingertips exposed just for playing Pokemon Go when it gets chilly. So I don't really see the problem there.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hmmm....

It doesn't feel like a body suit to me. I think those might just be elbow length gloves.

The cloth on the arms and hands seems to match that covering her midriff. I think it would be one piece covering her upper body.

And I would come down on the idea that Somatic components can work with full gloves, but the more tactile feel and extra precision of fingerless gloves make it less likely you will make a mistake in the crafting.
If only D&D had mis-cast mechanics. Maybe she was originally painted as a Warhammer Fantasy Role Play caster. But WotC certainly seems to be promoting a trope of female casters wearing glovettes.

1712292053110.png

It reminds me of being in marching band. We always had to cut our gloves fingers off, because you just couldn't play the woodwinds as effectively with fingered gloves.
WAIT! THAT'S IT! She's a bard!

I think we all missed an important detail in this painting. She's wearing bodywear with gloves under her other clothes...

View attachment 356013(like this...this example was the most appropriate image for posting here without offending Morris's grandmother)

...but she cut off the fingers.

View attachment 356014

Now, I'll admit to having worn gloves with the top halves of the fingers cut off, and smoking Swisher Sweets Cigarillos, but I was 19 and a ridiculous person.

Surely this is an important and compelling detail that deserves more attention than her glasses, what spells she's casting, or the colors of her outerwear.

I guess c is a safe bet. Try handling fiddly components woth gloves that cover your tips.

MNblockhead

(D) Castles are chilly, but turning the pages of that book next to her with gloved fingers doesn't work well.
She has the magic to have her books fly around her but has to use her fingers to flip the pages?
I bought a nice pair of merino wool work gloves that have the fingertips exposed just for playing Pokemon Go when it gets chilly. So I don't really see the problem there.
Can we find any official 5e are with male wizards wearing glovettes? Apparently women do tend to have colder hands than men IRL. Not sure that should apply to a fantasy world.

I have fingerless gloves whhere you can put a cover over it for riding my bike in the winter.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

I guess c is a safe bet. Try handling fiddly components woth gloves that cover your tips.
I would assume from the picture that she is using her staff as a focus instead of material components. Do any spells implied by the picture require material components with a GP value? Though...I suppose as she isn't holding the staff, she may need components to cast. Or she just wants to be ready to cast spells that do require costly material components, even if she normally uses a staff as a focus.

I would assume from the picture that she is using her staff as a focus instead of material components. Do any spells implied by the picture require material components with a GP value? Though...I suppose as she isn't holding the staff, she may need components to cast. Or she just wants to be ready to cast spells that do require costly material components, even if she normally uses a staff as a focus.
Yes. Probably the latter.
Also at some point you becom accustomed to wearing fingerless gloves.

MNblockhead

I have fongerless gloves whhere you can put a cover over it for riding my bike in the winter.
Yeah, I have the same. Helpful when working outdoors in the winter. Given that she's indoors, not otherwise wearing cold-weather wear, and the hand coverings seem to be part of a body suit rather than gloves, I'm thinking this isn't because of cold. Her outerwear is probably just itchy without the unitard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads