• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

I think we all missed an important detail in this painting. She's wearing bodywear with gloves under her other clothes...

View attachment 356013(like this...this example was the most appropriate image for posting here without offending Morris's grandmother)

...but she cut off the fingers.

View attachment 356014

Now, I'll admit to having worn gloves with the top halves of the fingers cut off, and smoking Swisher Sweets Cigarillos, but I was 19 and a ridiculous person.

So can we please spend the next 50 pages discussing whether:

(A) she just has great, trend-setting fashion sense;

(B) she is a ridiculous young apprentice (seems too powerful of a castor, but maybe she stole her professor's glasses of spell storing), or

(C) Somatic components don't work for casting unless the tips of your fingers are uncovered.

Surely this is an important and compelling detail that deserves more attention than her glasses, what spells she's casting, or the colors of her outerwear.
I think you are wrong in this interpretation. But if it were accurate, that could be considered anachronistic. Elastic* fabrics didn't start to come in until the 19th century (and then were limited to bathing, circus and theatrical costumes). 19th century Leotards were made from kitted cotton, Nylon was invented in 1935, with other synthetics following soon after.

*Wool was used for hose, but has a somewhat limited ability to return to it's original shape compared to modern synthetic fabrics.

pemerton

Legend
I think we all missed an important detail in this painting. She's wearing bodywear with gloves under her other clothes...

View attachment 356013(like this...this example was the most appropriate image for posting here without offending Morris's grandmother)

...but she cut off the fingers.
I noticed this:
Just following this bit of advice - why is she wearing fingerless gloves? (Or is it a body suit with holes only for the fingers rather than the whole hand?)

Fashion knows no logic either in the real world, or in the imagined world of fantasy artists.

It's folly to question it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
She has the magic to have her books fly around her but has to use her fingers to flip the pages?

Yeah. In the same way that you can have technology that allows robots to assemble cars, but you still tie your own shoes by hand. You don't use a 7th level spell slot to turn pages on a book when fingerless gloves will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads