• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think you are wrong in this interpretation. But if it were accurate, that could be considered anachronistic. Elastic* fabrics didn't start to come in until the 19th century (and then were limited to bathing, circus and theatrical costumes). 19th century Leotards were made from kitted cotton, Nylon was invented in 1935, with other synthetics following soon after.

*Wool was used for hose, but has a somewhat limited ability to return to it's original shape compared to modern synthetic fabrics.
Looking at ripples in fabric over the mid-riff, I don't think it is elastic. I'm just using anachronistic words to describe the clothing because I'm not very educated sartorially.

MNblockhead

I noticed this:
Ah! Sorry, this thread has a lot of posts. I guess we were all in the heat of battle over glasses and didn't take proper notice.

She is obviously not a poor commoner. So, her fashion needn't be practical. Real-life fashion for the better off has been far more over the top than what I see in most D&D art.

As for logic, well, I think its just "this shows I'm much better off / more important than you."

MNblockhead

Yeah. In the same way that you can have technology that allows robots to assemble cars, but you still tie your own shoes by hand. You don't use a 7th level spell slot to turn pages on a book when fingerless gloves will do the trick.
Mage Hand is a cantrip.

MNblockhead

I think you will perhaps at least admit there is a certain level of ironic humour (intended or otherwise) in a man called Jean-Luc Picard having a beautiful Shakespearian English accent and loving a very British style of tea.

Of course we nearly had a very French captain with an American/British name with Geneviève Bujold in VOY.
Lots of people living in lots of places with names that are not traditional to that place who speak like the locals.
Lots of people living in lots of places who are expats and retain their accents.
I've also met a lot of people from various countries who speak with a native English, American, or Australian accent when they speak English. My wife didn't come to the US until college but when she speaks English, you'd think she grew up in the American midwest.

I think increased ability to move around the world and even more advanced communications in Star Trek's future would make all of the above even more common.

MNblockhead

Could be. I'm thinking it is more a set that uses the same material. I don't know why, there is no visual evidence for it, but the idea of it being a "onesie" of sorts doesn't fit right with me.
Actually, I like the idea of it being one piece better. It is more practical and comfortable. Keeps things from riding up, feels snug, has a slimming effect, etc.

MNblockhead

So yes. Magic could likely give someone 20/20 vision. It could likely give someone bald hair. It could likely untwist spines, give people limbs who were born without them, and anything else you want it to do.

That doesn't mean we should see it as a world-building flaw that powerful, wealthy, beautiful people might have scars/glasses/missing limbs/need glasses.
Exactly. How exactly restoration magic works for various edge cases is up to the GM and players.

For some of your examples, we don't need any explanation other than vanity. In real life, wealthy, powerful, handsome young men would GIVE themselves facial scars (google "Mensur scars", "the bragging scar", "smite", "Schmitte", or "Renommierschmiss").

I started needing reading glasses a few years ago. I had better than average vision for most of my life. I still have excellent distant vision. There is this magic called "LASIK surgery" available to me, which I could easily afford. Now, maybe it is more of a hassle than a restoration spell (but who knows, the RAW have nothing to say about whether the process is painful, etc.), but it is about as easy as a medical procedure can be. But I see not reason to bother. I don't see it worth the money. (As might a wizard, 100 GP is 100 GP after all, and how easy it is to procure diamond dust is a world-building decision). But, even more importantly, I find that wearing reading glasses, especially blue-light glasses, make the long hours I have to work on the computer (and discuss glasses on EN World) much more comfortable. My eyes just don't get fatigued like they used to. Wearing reading glass even if you don't need them to reduce eye strain is something people do in real life. Maybe reading arcane script and diagrams is even more taxing on the eyes.

I don't know if greater restoration would restore congenitally missing limbs (I'd rule not), and I'd expect that most people who lose a limb in battle are from an accident would be much more likely to restore that limb if they could. But in real life, there are some people who want to (and do) cut off normally functioning limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads