D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

teitan

Legend
I found the Otus Dragon. There's a Vance Kovacs I found for MtG work. Did Doug do some?

Was there a Secret Lair in the Poag style? (Edit: Anyone remember which one? Or am I imagining that?)

In any case, I wasn't trying to correct your taste. I was clapping back a bit at the idea that MtG had one single style any more than saying "D&D style" and meaning only this latest stuff.
Sure sure and yes Doug does some MtG art. There is a slickness to MtG art though that I was referring to in modern D&D art, considering it is the same pool of artists doing the work. ;-)

The artists I listed have a unique style and flair that is also a throwback to Otus, Willingham, Dee, Holloway, & Sutherland that I prefer. Particularly Otus and Holloway. Too much slickness and it becomes samey.

teitan

Legend
I hope you're not implying there's a required reading list for fans of the post-1980's fantasy genre. Modern fantasy is (and should remain) a large tent, not an exclusive club with gatekeepers checking everyone's "nerd cred" at the door. I'm sure there are plenty of modern fantasy fans who aren't familiar with Neil Gaiman.
I mean there IS a striking difference in fantasy, mainstream, than there was before 1990. It was more freeform and didn't fit that D&D mold. Even The Witcher has a ton of D&Dism in it whereas before it was more broad. Gaiman is like Moore, he fills that fantasist niche but doesn't do D&D fantasy. He's like Monte Cook if he wrote RPGs, weird concepts that are fantasy but not fantasy in the D&D vein though he certainly excels in that area. Before 1990, to give a softball year, it was Fantasy, like Lord of the Rings and then Weird Fiction/Sword & Sorcery and they all sorta get tucked together now but have to fill that niche of how D&D and then video games reshaped how people think about heroic epic fantasy. Gaiman doesn't write that. He's more Moorcock, Vance and Lovecraft than Tolkien

Hussar

Legend
Not disagreeing with any of that, but it made me pull "Songs of the Dying Earth" from my shelf.

"Every now and again I've noticed myself crafting a Vance sentence, and it always makes me happy when I do-but he's not a writer I'd ever dare to imitate. I don't think he's imitable.
There are few enough of the writers I loved when I was 13 I can see myself going back to in twenty years from now. Jack Vance I will reread forever."
- Neil Gaiman
Vance is one of those author's authors. Read by genre fans, but, virtually unheard of outside of certain circles.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean there IS a striking difference in fantasy, mainstream, than there was before 1990. It was more freeform and didn't fit that D&D mold. Even The Witcher has a ton of D&Dism in it whereas before it was more broad. Gaiman is like Moore, he fills that fantasist niche but doesn't do D&D fantasy. He's like Monte Cook if he wrote RPGs, weird concepts that are fantasy but not fantasy in the D&D vein though he certainly excels in that area. Before 1990, to give a softball year, it was Fantasy, like Lord of the Rings and then Weird Fiction/Sword & Sorcery and they all sorta get tucked together now but have to fill that niche of how D&D and then video games reshaped how people think about heroic epic fantasy. Gaiman doesn't write that. He's more Moorcock, Vance and Lovecraft than Tolkien
To be fair, D&D has grown out a bit over the past couple decades, as well.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My general feel of this art is that she's a high-up in a wizard guild, she definitely isn't level 1, she's got a fair few levels under her belt. She's probably the one in charge of keeping the guild's headquarter's wards up and running.

It's a cool looking image, not really sure why people have such a negative view of it.

Zardnaar

Legend
My general feel of this art is that she's a high-up in a wizard guild, she definitely isn't level 1, she's got a fair few levels under her belt. She's probably the one in charge of keeping the guild's headquarter's wards up and running.

It's a cool looking image, not really sure why people have such a negative view of it.

It's not bad but much like tge fighter and dragon it's very risp and clean. Kinda looks like CGI.

Even worse it's very generic nothing distinct about it. AI spits out similar images along every other digital artist.

Who did it? Don't know. Doesn't look like a distinct style or anything.
Gliw8ng eyes kinda more superhero. Storm on a MtG card.

It's better than the dragon, it's not bad as such just doesn't do anything for me.

Arts very subjective though. Personally I'm not a fan of this style of digital art.

Prefer this type as always ymmv.

I'm guessing that the images for each class are going to be aspirational - "This illustration gives you some idea of what your character could look like once they've become powerful in their chosen class."

World of Warcraft does something similar during character creation. As you go through the class list, you'll see what the character will look like once they have higher-powered gear, to give a new player a preview of what the future may bring. Then, once you choose, on the next page you'll have what the character will actually look like at level 1 (usually having pretty raggedy and basic equipment).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's not bad but much like tge fighter and dragon it's very risp and clean. Kinda looks like CGI.

Even worse it's very generic nothing distinct about it. AI spits out similar images along every other digital artist.

Who did it? Don't know. Doesn't look like a distinct style or anything.
Gliw8ng eyes kinda more superhero. Storm on a MtG card.

It's better than the dragon, it's not bad as such just doesn't do anything for me.

Arts very subjective though. Personally I'm not a fan of this style of digital art.

Prefer this type as always ymmv.

Other than a very small handful of artists, I pretty much never know who does any art. It could probably be all AI generated and I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads