• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Reef

Hero
This is a horrible piece of "wizard" fantasy art IMO. I'm not going to say why, because I don't have to.

Later everyone.
Let’s say there are two people who don’t like this wizard. One says:

“Nice painting, but not my cup of tea.”

And the other says:

“This is a horrible piece of “wizard” art!”

Which one is more likely to generate 1000+ posts? And if you can’t figure that out, I predict you aren’t going to have a very peaceful online life…:)

Both are valid opinions. But the first leaves room for other people, while the second states their opinion as fact which is likely to draw questions for clarification at the very least.

This is like Picard being bald in the 24th century.

This wizard can't cast cure astigmatism.
What's really weird to me about this glasses kerfuffle is that, I am very certain that if we go back through 2E books (mine are all currently in storage sadly), we're going to find multiple images of apparent spell-casters with glasses or pince-nez, probably 1E as well, almost certainly 3E, and hell there are probably ones in 5E somewhere, so why is this controversial now?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
What's really weird to me about this glasses kerfuffle is that, I am very certain that if we go back through 2E books (mine are all currently in storage sadly), we're going to find multiple images of apparent spell-casters with glasses or pince-nez, probably 1E as well, almost certainly 3E, and hell there are probably ones in 5E somewhere, so why is this controversial now?
Oh, it's not controversial, at least to me, I just find it worth pointing out as sort of a weird diegetic inconsistency. I mean Picard is a bald French man from Yorkshire and we all love him. Lots of stuff fits in that bucket in D&D. I didn't read the middle, say, 100 pages of this thread, are people seriously upset by it?

Oh, it's not controversial, at least to me, I just find it worth pointing out as sort of a weird diegetic inconsistency. I mean Picard is a bald French man from Yorkshire and we all love him. Lots of stuff fits in that bucket in D&D. I didn't read the middle, say, 100 pages of this thread, are people seriously upset by it?
Seems that way.

Mandatory Cowboy Bebop image because I literally cannot even think the phrase "Seems that way" without it coming up. Thanks for melting my brain, Cowboy Bebop (the guy on the right keeps responding "Seems that way" to questions)

1712325402940.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It is mostly one guy from what I have skimmed, or there may have been a couple of others then other jumped on their reasons. Reasons like, she wears glasses, could not a high level MU fix their sight. The colours are not wizardly, why is the staff floating, the art does not represent a known spell. Stuff along those lines.

I mean there is nothing weird about Picard. He obviously could get hair if he wanted, but he doesn't feel the need to. And of course him having British accent is not even least bit weird either. An European learning to speak English with British accent is perfectly normal. There are countless non-Americans in Star Trek that nevertheless speak with perfect American accents and no one ever finds that unusual.

I mean there is nothing weird about Picard. He obviously could get hair if he wanted, but he doesn't feel the need to. And of course him having British accent is not even least bit weird either. An European learning to speak English with British accent is perfectly normal. There are countless non-Americans in Star Trek that nevertheless speak with perfect American accents and no one ever finds that unusual.
I think you will perhaps at least admit there is a certain level of ironic humour (intended or otherwise) in a man called Jean-Luc Picard having a beautiful Shakespearian English accent and loving a very British style of tea.

Of course we nearly had a very French captain with an American/British name with Geneviève Bujold in VOY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads