• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes #22:Turn And Face The Strange/Season 3/2009

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Turn And Face The Strange

Someone close to Danko is put in the line of fire as he spearheads the anti-superhuman operation. Meanwhile, Noah's marriage continues to crumble while Hiro and Ando continue their journey to save Matt. Angela faces some demons from her past.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I'm mostly giving up this this show, just sticking around until the end of this volume. The writers seem to be only interested in short term actions with no concept of hoew those actions fit the characters or the story as a whole. B5 showed that you can do long term arcs without sacrificing short term episodic TV.

Arnwyn

First Post
That wasn't a half-bad episode, actually - at least compared to most of the others.

... except for Danko. Wow... just wow. For pete's :):):):)ing sake, just shoot him! Shoothimshoothimshoothimshoothimshoothimshoothimshoothimshoothim! Splatter his brains against the wall ASAP. It was absolutely stupid that Bennett didn't blow Danko's head clean off at that one point, and instead just pushed him away. He had full proof that Danko was jerking him around, and he doesn't pop him right there.

Extremely frustrating, and not enjoyable at all. Every scene with Danko is crap.

Edit: Hmmm... I'm beginning to wonder - what's NBC's opportunity cost of keeping Heroes on the air?

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
I thought this episode was ok, but like you said (and like i tell people in real life) if you point a gun at someone you better be ready to fire it. We've seen this before, people just wave guns around like their instant intimidate checks.

I thought HRG acted uncharacteristically this episode. I thought that Mrs HRG was uncharacteristically unsympathetic (especially her line of maybe i should get a divorce). I thought Hiro and ando and the baby went back to characteristically silly and Mohinder went back to characteristically stupid. Seriously, what hunted being goes back to their old apartment.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I thought this episode was ok, but like you said (and like i tell people in real life) if you point a gun at someone you better be ready to fire it. We've seen this before, people just wave guns around like their instant intimidate checks.

We've seen it before in real life too. The non-political instance that instantly jumps to mind is muggings. Most muggers aren't (generally) going to shoot someone - they just want the gigantic bonus to intimidation. Even with a knife, most muggers don't actually want to use it. They just want intimidation and thus control over the situation. Individual shootings are not usually random, but have some personal aspect to them (drug deals, spurned lovers, self-defense, etc).

LightPhoenix

First Post
As an introduction, I just want to say that this review may be biased based on my response to this week's House. The short version is I agreed with the message, but hated the ham-fisted way with which the aftermath was written, and didn't like (MAJOR SPOILER)
that my favorite character was killed off, while my least favorite character (Thirteen) was not
. So I was already in a bit of a cranky mood going into Heroes tonight.

I am sick of Danko. I don't think that his story is interesting, and I certainly didn't find it any more interesting tonight. Every day I hope for his death, and not because he's the villain.

I enjoyed the HRG mind-futz via Sylar's shapechanging. I do have two criticisms. First, I thought for sure Danko was really Sylar; after all, Danko was dealing with Matt at the time. I think that was poor editing, and could have used a throwaway line about Danko "dealing with something." My second is that we've never seen someone with regeneration be able to control it; I'm willing to chalk that up to Sylar being able to understand how powers work, but it stuck out in my mind. I think I would have liked it better if HRG actually killed the guy, and he was "innocent," and Sylar tricked him into doing it. Great acting by Jack Coleman and Ashley Crow... they were just off enough to make me realize they were Sylar, without being completely off.

Hiro/Ando/Baby Matt was completely pointless. It was made more pointless by the fact that the baby cheered up for Matt... who has not been in his life. I was hoping after last week they were going to make Hiro's stories less childishly stupid. I guess it was a one-off.

The Petrelli clan's scenes were equally pointless, since they didn't go anywhere. There's no reason that all of their scenes couldn't have been moved into the next episode.

I liked the show acknowledging Mohinder and Matt's friendship, and his attempt to stop Matt. I don't necessarily buy that Homeland Security would miss stuff in storage, but okay, if it gets Mohinder involved in the main story, I'm okay with it.

As for Matt... I actually enjoyed his part. Matt was devestated and wanted revenge, but Matt was never that person that could go and kill an innocent person, no matter how much he tried. Once he realized he couldn't have revenge, he gave up wanting to live. It took Hiro rescuing him and bringing him his son to bring him back around. I'm willing to fan-wank a bit and guess that since Baby Matt has a power, Matt knows it's his son, and can at least begin to forgive his wife a little.

I have two hopes for the end of this season. First, I hope that Sylar's powers are reduced again, possibly via Baby Matt. Second, there really needs to be a large scale "blow the budget" action scene when they (hopefully) confront Sylar again.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
No they can't. He was shown on national TV as a terrorist. There is no way this can all be salvaged without a giant reset button that wipes away this entire season.

Yes, but he can work with the other heroes again. He had gone rogue for a while.

LightPhoenix

First Post
No they can't. He was shown on national TV as a terrorist. There is no way this can all be salvaged without a giant reset button that wipes away this entire season.

While I agree that would be tremendously unsatisfactory, Matt + Ando could result in Matt being able to wipe away the memory of that incident from everyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads