HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 5

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Lathir Draws First Blood!

As Lathir is in flight, about 120' in the air, he notices something crucial. Even through the pounding rain, and even at this distance, he hears the Hill Giant gate guard... SNORING.

Lathir muses inwardly, ~That's the reason the Wolf Master didn't let the rain-soaked guard inside just now; he saw that the guard was sleeping, and decided that the lazy oaf didn't deserve the courtesy of being woken up. But the Wolf Master's spitefulness and vindictiveness will cost this guard his life. I do not intend to put the party's lives at risk by being merciful.~

Lathir acts quickly, realizing what must be done. Knowing that he won't miss a motionless opponent, he foregoes the Cat's Grace spell, opting for Bull's Strength by itself, to allow him to pierce the Giant's thick skin more effectively. He casts the spell as he is beginning to land.

GM:
Base DC 0 (A Giant snoring is equivalent of people talking)
Per 10 ft. = +1 (Total: +12) [120' in the air]
Rain: +5
Total DC = 17
Lathir's minimum result = 18 (Cannot fail to hear Giant snoring)

DC to hear Lathir swoop in: 14
Rain = +5
Sleeping = +10
Total DC = DC 29
Giant's Roll: 23 (Fail)

GM:
Round 1: Lathir makes Listen check (Swift Action), Lands (Move Action), reverts to Human form (as part of the Move Action), and casts Bull's Strength (Standard Action)
Round 2: Lathir takes a full round action to perform Coup De Grace on the sleeping Giant.
Round 3: Lathir (Whose STR is currently 19 from the Bull's Strength spell) lifts the gate bar from the inside.

GM:
Coup De Grace
Automatic Hit
Automatic Crit
Critical Damage: 2d6+8: 18 pts.
Coup De Grace DC: 28.
Giant Save (Fort +12): 24 (Fail.)
Giant Dies.

The Giant does not stir in the least as Lathir lands and approaches him. Lathir skewers the sleeping Giant, ramming the spear into his throat, in order to stifle any possible scream; but the Giant makes no noise, as his life-blood spills onto saturated ground, and his body slumps sideways.

Without wasting any time, Lathir moves to the gate, and lifts the bar, allowing the party access into the courtyard.

GM:
A total of 9 rounds have now elapsed from the party's spell durations.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen and Vale Communicating and Moving

Both Vale and Respen are communicating mentally while the party is on the move...

Vale said:
~ Methinks we go this way. What you say, Val? Secure this part of the fort, and then deal with what's inside? ~

Valoran Copperbeard, mentally: ~Sounds like a plan to me, laddie. Tally Ho!~

Respen said:
~ And I don't mean to overstep and tell you how to manage battle. I simply want you to be safe. ~

Nelvandra, mentally: ~Relax, my Pillow Pet. I am Drow. We are the reason that Surface Folk fear the Darkness.~

Respen said:
He moves to the fence on the other side of the gate and peeks into the yard himself.

Respen doesn't have a clear view, but he does hear a sickening gurgle, and instantly realizes what the sound is. Lathir has acted with lethal precision.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar looks at the others....Well that was easy enough, lets go. Sylvar steps into the courtyard...There is a giant in that room with several dire wolves. We should take him out first...I understand the ethics of doing so, but if anyone has an attack that can fill that room with a deadly cloud of something, I suggest we use it.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sylvar looks at the others....Well that was easy enough, lets go. Sylvar steps into the courtyard...There is a giant in that room with several dire wolves. We should take him out first...I understand the ethics of doing so, but if anyone has an attack that can fill that room with a deadly cloud of something, I suggest we use it.
Lathir understanding the wisdom of Sylvar's concern, offer an option.
"As I flew in, I also noticed a guard in the tower. With this rain, I do not think he can see anything, but it is also a concern. My biggest concern at this moment is also those wolves. I have the ability to conjure a wall of stone which I can shape to my design in order to most efficiently block that door from this side."

GM:
I have been looking back at the picture, and comparing it to the map. I have re-posted both below. The guard in the tower, even when he is alert, cannot see the rear of the compound; the roof of the main building (#2, below) is too high, and obstructs his view. Hence, it is obvious that the tower is not meant to observe the whole compound, only the front entrance.

The map shows the 3 structures: The Outbuilding (marked #1), The Main Building (marked #2), and The Tower (marked #3). These structures are connected by a palisade wall, which creates two courtyard areas: the entrance courtyard, which is where the front gate leads, and the rear courtyard, where the Dire Wolves are kept.

Giant Fort From Above 001c.jpg

000 - Hil Giant Fortress 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar nods, Thats a good idea...block the door and lets get out of the courtyard, my artificial cover is about to expire... I think we should enter the fortress through the single door behind us, it very likely leads to a store room or kitchen...I'm not sure how much energy we should expend on the giant in the tower. He probably won't hear the slaughter in the fortress from up there.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar replies with a flourish of his cape, while causing an arrow to appear in his hand and disappear as if into thin air. Well lets go then. I'm not the type to lead an assault, I'm more of a cheer from the sidelines while I shoot beasties with arrows, kind of fellow. I'll follow your lead.

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam knows the others have better skills than he does, so he decides to cover the rear, and make sure no one is following them.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen to the Courtyard outbuilding

Respen moves deftly toward the double doors to the outbuilding in the courtyard as Lathir creates his wall. He quietly tries the door, using his lowlight vision as he sneaks into this room.

GM:
As Respen reaches the double doors, Lathir's wall springs into being. Respen tries the doors, and finds them open! He opens them just a crack, and is able to peer inside. (See next post.)

DM REMINDER: Discussing plans in the LINE chat is considered OOC and does not waste game time. But posting dialogue here on the thread, DOES, because the thread is IC.

Posts 23-28: One round passes during this conversation.

Lathir casts Wall of Stone. This takes another round.

Respen peeks inside (and sees stuff, below) and steps into the room on the following round.

Thus, by the time my next post happens, 12 Rounds worth of Spell Durations have elapsed. The Invisibility Sphere has now run its course, and is gone. The party is now visible, albeit, they are currently alone and un-observed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Feeling emboldened by the emptiness of the room, Respen flings the doors open and steps inside. Tam-Tam and Sylvar follow right behind. While Respen has a look around Room #3, Tam and Sylvar examine Rooms #2 and #1, respectively.

Outbuilding-001.jpg

ROOM #3: There is a huge horn to wind to call the dire wolves. It rests upon the small table in the center of the room. There are 8 stools and 2 benches along the walls. A sheaf of 18 spears is by the door. A line of 7 giant-sized shields and 4 clubs stands along the south wall. No creatures are in the room.

ROOMS #2 and #1: These rooms contain a total of 20 beds, 20 chests, 20 stools, 4 tables, 2 benches, and miscellaneous junk. (Half of the listed amounts in each room.) There are several, smelly hides on the floors and walls of both rooms. Several broken weapons and dented helmets are strewn about. The rooms are deserted.

There is an alcove in Room #1 that contains 3 chests, which are all beside a single, Giant-sized cot. There is a bag of some sort stuffed under the cot, and another bag hangs from a hook on the wall. In the corner of the alcove, rests yet a third bag.

GM:
13 Rounds of spell durations have now elapsed.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases