• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E Heroes of Hydellor

gargoyleking

Explorer
"Beturea, a beautiful name would that I could see the face to match."

His teeth flashed white in the darkness for a moment as he tried to cheer the woman up. Then, he stood and moved to the door of their cage to listen. He could hear something in the distance but wasn't quite sure what it was. In the meantime he took stock of their surroundings trying to decide on the best way to secure an escape.

Well Beturea, You say this place might be Eobold's Tower? What can you tell me about it? Also, what do you know of our captors?"

"Any little details might help. I once snuck past an orc who had a sweet tooth the size of Errol's Peak. Just left a basket of cookies out where he could find them. The best part is the sounds he made. Crunch, Munch, Snort!"

OOC: Perception: 1d20+4 21
 

Lord Twig

Explorer
OOC: Mindra's Thieves' tools check for blocking the door: [roll0]
Mindra will then try to hide and keep an eye out.
Stealth: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]
 

Lord Twig

Explorer
Mindra silently hopes that the door holds a bit longer as she takes cover and readies her bow.

OOC: How many HP does Mindra have at this point? She currently has a max HP of 35, but I think it still shows 19 in the status section.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Unknown location/Tower
Seaday, Emperorweek, 2 Moon/12:24 PM
Weather: Chilly temps, light wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim to Dark: Disadvantage for Perception and Investigation unless you have a light source
Round 0


TOWER


OOC: Wow. I don’t think I’ve updated the status section in a while! LOL Sorry! Not sure on Mindra’s current HP, but I’ve updated it to her new max. She should have at least gotten HP from her level up. If everyone else wants to double check them, let me know and I will correct it. And sorry about the mistake on the casting time of Find Familiar!



[sblock=If you got a 10 on your Perception check]Did the body of one of the ambush drakes you killed twitch a bit?[/sblock]


Theramin and Mindra do their best to hide in the vast openness of the room. The only thing in it is the large arcane table.


Strength to break down door: 1D20+1 = [17]+1 = 18


Mindra did a good job securing the door, but apparently the kobolds were just that determined. It splintered, and they could see the tip of the cold blue flame of the spear of the armored kobold they had fought before, followed by a kobold carrying a bunch of sacks and cages, and two other kobolds. All of them had the same strange white patches of scales that nearly covered the armored kobold.


OOC: A lucky roll for the bad guys! That means Initiative for those in the tower. If you beat a 19, you can post your first action, then we’ll go via side initiative. We will do this combat theatre of the mind, as it isn’t too complicated.



DUNGEON


Beturea spoke in fits and starts, with a bit of a stutter. “Mached and I w-were heading to Bredonshire for some business. We were attacked on the road by some b-bandits! They took my Mached! They knocked me out and left me. Wh-When I came to, I found a ransom note in my bodice and the wagon destroyed. Then the k-kobolds came and dragged me here! I’ve been here for d-days.”


As Owyn studied the cell, he could tell that the bars were old. He found a couple that seemed loose and might be rusty enough with the right application of strength or pressure. He could hear voices speaking in Draconic through the barred window of the dungeon door where the torchlight came from. They seemed to be arguing, and he heard the occasional rattle of dice.


“As for the tower, I d-don’t know much. I am not from B-Bredonshire. All I know is it was said to have been b-built by Eobald the Mad a long time ago. During the w-war there was a great battle here between Essess and Arideen. B-Both armies disappeared and no one knew what happened to them. They say it’s been h-haunted ever since. We did see a light in the t-tower the night we were attacked.”

[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=31754]Lord Twig[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]


[sblock=Rolls]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Maps]
Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:


[sblock=Status]
Coriana (+2) AC 15 24/24+5 thp PP 14
Liam (+2) AC 14 14/18 PP 14 Devil’s Sight
Mindra (+4) AC 15 6/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 36/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 5/19 PP 14 Darkvision
Sayine (+5) AC 15 8/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*


Engir (+2) AC 15 30/64 PP 11 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold Inventor (+2) AC 12 13/13 PP 10 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 1 (+2) AC 12 8/8 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 2 (+2) AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]
Survival:
Marching Order: Mindra, Coriana, Theremin (Sayine), Liam
Travel Pace: Normal
Travel activity: Mindra (watch), Coriana (map), Liam (watch), Theremin (watch), Sayine (watch)
Light: Dim light
[/sblock]


[sblock=Loot]
300 gp
[/sblock]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
"That's quite a set of unfortunate circumstances. For myself, I was on a trip to The Academy, hoping to visit my sister Cera. She's a scholar there."

He listens to the bit about the tower and frowns. "Abandoned magic tower, infested by kobolds and who knows what else... what could go wrong?"

Wary of the dicing kobolds, Owyn gave a half-hearted yank on one of the weakened bars, testing it. Then he looked around the cell, hoping there was something he could use as a tool, or make into one.

"Don't suppose those bandits left a crowbar in your bodice as well?" He asked jokingly.

OOC: Str Check:: 1d20+4 7
+2 if you feel like adding Athletics.
 

Lord Twig

Explorer
OOC: Initiative roll: [roll0]
Mindra gained 8 hit points from her level up. So there is that.
And with that roll she won't be going first. Would she get a shot off because she had her bow ready and was waiting?
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
OOC: Initiative roll: [roll0]
Mindra gained 8 hit points from her level up. So there is that.
And with that roll she won't be going first. Would she get a shot off because she had her bow ready and was waiting?
Okay. I gave her another 8 points so she is at 14. Unfortunately you can't Ready an Action outside of combat, so she was just a bit distracted or too slow or however you want to narrate it.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Unknown location/Tower
Seaday, Emperorweek, 2 Moon/12:24 PM
Weather: Chilly temps, light wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim to Dark: Disadvantage for Perception and Investigation unless you have a light source
Round 0


DUNGEON


The loose bar moved a little bit. It was apparent that the brick it was anchored in was old and weak.


“No crowbar, but I have my sash,” Beturea said. There was the sound of fumbling with clothes and then a delicate hand pressed something silken against Owyn’s arm. “Maybe I could help pull, if you wrap it around the bar. I am not strong, but maybe it would help.”


OOC: You can try again with Advantage for Beturea’s help. You just need a 10 really. And use Athletics, sure.




[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=31754]Lord Twig[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]


[sblock=Rolls]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Maps]
Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:


[sblock=Status]
Coriana (+2) AC 15 24/24+5 thp PP 14
Liam (+2) AC 14 14/18 PP 14 Devil’s Sight
Mindra (+4) AC 15 14/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 36/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 5/19 PP 14 Darkvision
Sayine (+5) AC 15 8/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*


Engir (+2) AC 15 30/64 PP 11 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold Inventor (+2) AC 12 13/13 PP 10 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 1 (+2) AC 12 8/8 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 2 (+2) AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]
Survival:
Marching Order: Mindra, Coriana, Theremin (Sayine), Liam
Travel Pace: Normal
Travel activity: Mindra (watch), Coriana (map), Liam (watch), Theremin (watch), Sayine (watch)
Light: Dim light
[/sblock]


[sblock=Loot]
300 gp
[/sblock]
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
OOC: Theremin gained 8 hp from leveling up. He will hide behind the table instead of what I described earlier.
Here's his initiative: [roll0]
 
Last edited:

tglassy

Explorer
Liam sighs, rubbing his eyes. He was never going to get this ritual done.

OOC: Liam should have 31 HP total, I think. He’d have gained 7 at lvl up.

Initiative: [roll0]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Again, Owyn's teeth flash in the darkness.

"That should probably just about do the trick. Once we're out, stay close to me. I just need to find my gear, and then we should be able to walk out of here..."

Owyn spoke with more confidence than he felt. But he took Beturea's sash and wound it strategically around the bar and giving her both ends. Then he took hold directly and gave a mighty heave.

OOC: Athletics:: 2d20k1+6 20

If possible, he'll try to break the bar free entirely rather than bend it. He might need it for a weapon or for some other purpose.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Unknown location/Tower
Seaday, Emperorweek, 2 Moon/12:24 PM
Weather: Chilly temps, light wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim to Dark: Disadvantage for Perception and Investigation unless you have a light source
Round 0


TOWER


OOC: Just need Coriana’s Initiative and then we can go. If it’s over a 19, take your turn, then it’s the kobolds.





DUNGEON


The bar groaned a bit and then popped, the old concrete giving way. Owyn caught it before it clanged loudly to the floor and was able to ease it out. The space wasn’t wide, but it would be enough for him to squeeze through. Beturea was in the next cage, however, so she wasn’t yet free.


OOC: You can use the bar as a greatclub.


[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=31754]Lord Twig[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]


[sblock=Rolls]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Maps]
Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:


[sblock=Status]
Coriana (+2) AC 15 24/24+5 thp PP 14
Liam (+2) AC 14 21/31 PP 14 Devil’s Sight
Mindra (+4) AC 15 14/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 36/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 13/27 PP 14 Darkvision
Sayine (+5) AC 15 8/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*


Engir (+2) AC 15 30/64 PP 11 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold Inventor (+2) AC 12 13/13 PP 10 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 1 (+2) AC 12 8/8 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 2 (+2) AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]
Survival:
Marching Order: Mindra, Coriana, Theremin (Sayine), Liam
Travel Pace: Normal
Travel activity: Mindra (watch), Coriana (map), Liam (watch), Theremin (watch), Sayine (watch)
Light: Dim light
[/sblock]


[sblock=Loot]
300 gp
[/sblock]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Owyn handed the sash back as he inspected the bar. It wasn't pretty, but would do the trick until he could lay his hands on his equipment again. Then he leaned the bar against a nearby corner and set to work helping to free her as well.

OOC: Athletics:: 2d20k1+6 14
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Unknown location/Tower
Seaday, Emperorweek, 2 Moon/12:24 PM
Weather: Chilly temps, light wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim to Dark: Disadvantage for Perception and Investigation unless you have a light source
Round 0


TOWER


OOC: Just need Coriana’s Initiative and then we can go. If it’s over a 19, take your turn, then it’s the kobolds.





DUNGEON


Owyn was able to remove a bar and help Beturea out of her cage. Her hands moved blindly across the front of his armor, unable to see in the dark except for that square of torchlight from the door.


“Now what?” the woman asked fearfully.

[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=31754]Lord Twig[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]


[sblock=Rolls]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Maps]
Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:


[sblock=Status]
Coriana (+2) AC 15 24/24+5 thp PP 14
Liam (+2) AC 14 21/31 PP 14 Devil’s Sight
Mindra (+4) AC 15 14/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 36/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 13/27 PP 14 Darkvision
Sayine (+5) AC 15 8/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*


Engir (+2) AC 15 30/64 PP 11 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold Inventor (+2) AC 12 13/13 PP 10 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 1 (+2) AC 12 8/8 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 2 (+2) AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]
Survival:
Marching Order: Mindra, Coriana, Theremin (Sayine), Liam
Travel Pace: Normal
Travel activity: Mindra (watch), Coriana (map), Liam (watch), Theremin (watch), Sayine (watch)
Light: Dim light
[/sblock]


[sblock=Loot]
300 gp
[/sblock]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Owyn glanced down at her hand on his scale armor and chuckled. "Hmm, Kobolds, maybe they thought I was some sort of dragon descendant? Wouldn't that be a riot... Alright, I'm not much for plans, but I would rather not be surprised, again, if I can avoid it. Just stay behind me, and be as quiet as you can."

Then he crept to the door to take a listen and look through the window.

OOC: Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

That is, assuming there is a window. You mentioned something about light from a torch illuminating a small area of the room?
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Unknown location/Tower
Seaday, Emperorweek, 2 Moon/12:24 PM
Weather: Chilly temps, light wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim to Dark: Disadvantage for Perception and Investigation unless you have a light source
Round 0


TOWER


OOC: I’ll RC Coriana so we can continue on. Or if someone else wants to, they can, as well. I will mostly just have her do basic attacks and cantrips and not resources, unless needed.
Initiative: 1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20
And so she does get an attack off before the kobolds.



Coriana moved to the top of the stairs. As soon as the kobolds broke through, she let off a blast of eldritch energy, though it splattered on the remains of the door. She then prepared to meet them on the stairs where their numbers would be forced to approach individually.


Eldritch blast: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8
1D10+5 = [4]+5 = 9



The armored kobold, still injured from the fight before, rushed up the stairs, angrily screaming and brandishing the spear that flickered with a cold blue flame. He stabbed it at Coriana, but she parried it away with her greatsword.


Spear attack: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8
3D6+1 = [3, 1, 4]+1 = 9



The kobold behind him tried to sling a stone at Coriana, but found it difficult to get proper momentum in the stairwell and the stone clattered to the stairs.


Sling attack: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D4+2 = [1]+2 = 3



The next kobold tried to sling as well, and would have hit Coriana, but the stone pinged off the edge of the armored kobold’s shield and just missed her.


Sling attack: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16
1D4+2 = [1]+2 = 3



At the bottom of the stairs, a kobold loaded down with all sorts of odds and ends chucked a flask at Coriana, but it was a bit too far of a throw and the flask shattered, coating the wall with sizzling acid.


Acid flask attack: 2D20.LOW(1)+4 = [1, 18]+4 = 5
2D6 = [5, 6] = 11



OOC: The players can go now. You have clear shots at the armored kobold. The kobolds behind him in the stairwell have half cover (+2 AC), though the Inventor at the back has three-quarters cover (+5 AC). If you move up to the rail along the stairwell, you can remove the cover bonus. Right now they only know Coriana is there because of your stealth rolls. And I believe someone had a good enough perception roll to notice one of the drakes is twitching.



DUNGEON


Owyn crept up to the dungeon door and peered through the small window. Beturea pressed up behind him, trying to control her breathing.


Owyn saw a small guardroom. Three kobolds were sitting around a worn wooden table throwing dice and arguing in Draconic. Owyn could see his gear stacked nearby, and occasionally one of the kobolds would pull something out and put it on the table and they would begin to argue and dice for it.

[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=31754]Lord Twig[/MENTION] [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION]


[sblock=Rolls]
[/sblock]


[sblock=Maps]
Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:


[sblock=Status]
Coriana (+2) AC 15 24/24+5 thp PP 14
Liam (+2) AC 14 21/31 PP 14 Devil’s Sight
Mindra (+4) AC 15 14/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 36/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 13/27 PP 14 Darkvision
Sayine (+5) AC 15 8/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*


Engir (+2) AC 15 30/64 PP 11 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold Inventor (+2) AC 12 13/13 PP 10 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 1 (+2) AC 12 8/8 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold 2 (+2) AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity


Dungeon
Kobold A AC 12 6/6 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold B AC 12 6/6 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
Kobold C AC 12 4/4 PP 8 Darkvision, Sunlight sensitivity
[/sblock]


[sblock=Notes]
Survival:
Marching Order: Mindra, Coriana, Theremin (Sayine), Liam
Travel Pace: Normal
Travel activity: Mindra (watch), Coriana (map), Liam (watch), Theremin (watch), Sayine (watch)
Light: Dim light
[/sblock]


[sblock=Loot]
300 gp
[/sblock]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
"Well, the good news is there's my equipment. Only three of them, and they're distracting themselves nicely. You may want to stay in here for now, up to you though." Owyn whispered to his cellmate, then he tried the door, hoping it itself wasn't locked.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
From his hiding place, Theremin uses his remaining magical strenght and casts a spell. He then whispers to Sayine ''Stay close my dear, I wouldn't want you to get hurt again''

OOC: Theremin casts sleep using a second level slot. [roll0]hp of creatures are affected. The spell is centered behind the armored kobolt; far enough to include it and his comrades, but not Coriana.
 

Advertisement

Top