• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of the Day [Dawnforge] Part 1: Attack in Ebernath!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Targ shakes his head clear, then grunts a mostly unintelligible thanks to the man. "Bad magic woman..." he says to nobody in particular, then looks around at the fallen and dead around him. "She make frog-men attack. Maybe not like land people, want to drag into sea."

Starman

Adventurer
Augurn says, "If you have any questions about magical matters, I would inquire at one of the libraries in town. They are all over.

"You must be new in town. Who are you, if I may ask? And where are you staying?"

The soldier who healed Targ says, "Sea hags have the ability to cloud someone's mind so that they cannot act. It lasts three days, unless the proper counterspell is used."

Widowmaker

First Post
"Thank you, we will look at the libraries for advice and information. I am Kellix a member of the Storm Company. These fellows are the rest of the member of the company. We were looking at staying at the Giant's Tankard or Broken Horn. Are these okay establishments?" Kellix says.

Speaking to the soldier who healed Tarq "That is quite interesting. I will have to remember those facts the next time I face them."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Me Targ, these my brothers. Is S'sebek, Kellix, Ellawyn, Tervelyn, Placid," the ogre says, pointing to the slender yuan-ti, the dark-haired tiefling, the little gnome woman, lithe dawn elf, and sturdy lizardman. His pronunciation of their names is actually very good, as he practices how to say them... if nothing else.

scranford

Explorer
Tervelyn - Dawn Elf, Duskblade

Tervelny, noticing that Targ now seems to be OK, and that Kellix, seems to be handling the questioning of the guards looks more closely at the scene of the attack. Investigating one of the frog men to see if there are any interesting markings or tatoos, or if they are wearing any symbols or anything else unique. If the Ugly Womans corpse is retrievable he will do the same with her. Tervelyn will cast detect magic if there is anything unusual spoted.

Starman

Adventurer
Augurn's face betrays his shock. "The Storm Company! The group who fought the orc slavers on the mainland? I'm impressed. You fellows did quite a number on that group." He shakes his head and continues. "Both are good inns. The Giant's Tankard does cater to the larger races and fights break out often, but they are usually stamped out quickly. It is a good place to go for a rowdy good time. The Broken Horn is much quieter if that's what you're looking for."

Tervelyn searches the corpses, but is unable to find anything of note. There are an assortment of shortspears and wooden shields, though.

Starman

Adventurer
Placid Brokenfang-Somewhere on the Parthian Sea

After taking care of something that he needed to do, Placid Brokenfang, found himself on a ship heading to Ebernath to regroup with his companions from the Storm Company. Aboard a large cargo ship called The Whale's Blowhole captained by a saltblood human known as Aswan, the voyage had been pleasant. The skies were clear and the sailing was smooth.

On the fourth day, that changed. When Captain Aswan came on deck in the morning, he surveyed the horizon, sniffed the air, and declared that a storm was on the way. Preperations were made and sure enough, by midday, the wind was blowing fiercely and the sky was clouding up. A few hours later, the sky was black, rain pounded the ship, lighting arced down from the clouds, and the wind was a gale. Huge waves rocked the ship and it felt on the verge of tipping over many times.

Placid was in the cabin he shared with three other passengers. Sitting on his bunk, everything suddenly became quiet. Looking around he knew nothing had changed, that the storm was still raging. Somehow, though, it was all...muffled. A powerful urge to go up on deck came over him and the lizardman stood up and made his way topside. He knew that he shouldn't go up there, that it was dangerous and Captain Aswan would certainly be upset. Something in the back of his mind said that it was the will of the Spirit.

Getting up on deck, Placid found himself in the midst of chaos. Before he could blink, he was soaked to the skin. Sailors rushed around the deck trying to keep The Whale's Blowhole together. Aswan spotted the lizardman and started to hollar at him, but a shout (that was a whisper to Placid) interrupted him.

"Captain! Man in the water!"

Men rushed to where the sailor who called out was standing. In a flurry of action, ropes and poles were lowered down. They pulled a man up who seemed barely alive. His clothes were tattered and barely covered him. Scratches and bruises covered his sallow skin. His dark hair was missing in patches and streaked with gray. The man coughed weakly on his hands and knees and then looked up. His emerald eyes, full of life in stark contrast to the rest of him, looked straight at Placid and locked on the lizardman's eyes. The drowned man's lips moved and Placid could hear the man clearly over the storm.

The Pale King wakes.
The red moon rises.
The cunning man-thing calls.
The beast within answers.
The storm must rage.
The world will weep.

With a roar, Placid's hearing returns to normal. The drowned man collapses and two sailors drag him below deck. Captain Aswan staggers toward the lizardman, screaming. "What are you doing up here? Are you mad? Get below deck!"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Starman said:
With a roar, Placid's hearing returns to normal. The drowned man collapses and two sailors drag him below deck. Captain Aswan staggers toward the lizardman, screaming. "What are you doing up here? Are you mad? Get below deck!"

Placid starts at the sudden flood of volume. For an instant, he is bewildered, but then Aswan's words sink in.

"Pardons, Captain," Placid says, leaning toward Aswan so he can be heard. "I sensed something amiss. Bring that man below-decks. I might be able to help him."

With that, Placid retreats below-decks himself, thinking, Silly human. I swim better than his entire crew, by Semanyua, even in storm-tossed seas. Pish! Did he not hear his man's strange words? Something is quite amiss indeed!

[sblock]Assuming the injured (dead?) man is brought below-decks, Placid ministers to him with a cure light wounds[/sblock]

Widowmaker

First Post
Kellix looks at Augurn "Yes, that Storm Company. We have come here hunting. I like the sounds of the Giant's Tankard. My companion Tarq will need a good room and some rowdiness never hurts."

Kellix will return to the group. "Shall we move on? Augurn said the Giant's Tankard is as good a spot as any."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Targ grunts and nods at Kellix. "Thirsty, need ale," he says shortly, and puts his pick back in its loop. He will cheefully follow the others to the Giant's Tankard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads