Hexographer - getting it to run on Mac?

Quickleaf

Legend
A while back I ran Hexographer (a JAVA-based cartography program) on Windows and loved it. Just so intuitive and quick :)

I am now trying to get it to run on my MacBook Pro and it just won't run. :-S

I tried emailing Inkwells for support but haven't heard back yet.

Any Mac-users get this program to run?

I have a hunch there is some system preference or setting regarding JAVA I need to change that the installation instructions don't mention, but I'm just not sure.

[SBLOCK=More details]
I installed Java 8 (update 45) for Mac OS X 64-bit and confirmed it was installed using the Oracle website.

I downloaded Hexographer for Mac/Linus/Windows based on the Java Launcher.

I set the amount of memory to 1.0 GB.

I then got double error messages:

Hexographer exited unusually. If this occurred soon after setting the memory, try again with a lower setting.

AND

To view this web content you need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

I went on to the Oracle website to confirm I have the latest version of Java installed, and I do.

I also tried setting the maximum memory to 750 MB - the lowest setting - but had the same problem.

Following the website’s instructions, I then tried the Launch from Web Browser method. Clicking “Start Hexographer” and nothing happened (as if JAVA were not installed), just a brief moment as if the page might be loading and then nothing.

I tried restarting and still nothing. Now I am truly at a loss![/SBLOCK]

Quickleaf

Legend
Ah, I think I just answered my own question.

Apparently, the Hexographer website direct you to install the latest version of JAVA 8 from the Oracle website.

However, for some reason with Mac OS X Yosemite you need to install JAVA 6 (2014) from the Apple website at this link: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US Go fricking figure. :/

Odd the Hexographer website gets this wrong since I assumed they did a lot of their development on Macs. Oh well, live and learn!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases