Spoilers Madam Web Review with Spoilers

Okay once again the movie is not as bad as folks say it is.

There are some flaws in it, the first part before the thriller part is slower then it should have been, and the flashes of the future when the girls have there powers should have been much longer, the girls should have been 18, not 15 especially given the Diner scene pre villian, but its a fun movie, especially when the thriller part happens.

The trailer really screwed this movie hard, just like Star Trek Beyond trailer did for that movie. After that trailer turned the movie into meme it was done like dinner. That damn meme line doesn't even appear in the movie and Cassandra Web doesn't actually have super strenth or sticky hands. Her powers are completely Pyscho Spiritual/Mental, and also misleading is that Ezirkiels powers are completely the opposite, completely physical, superstrength, agility, wall crawling, poison touch, and the "vision" he sees of the Spiderbabes killing him isn't actually a precog ability at all, its a curse and a lie and trap that leads him to his doom.

The first part sets up her mom in the Peruvian jungle, she and her crew gets murdered by Eziekiel who ironically was hired to protect her, although she doesn't die right away, she gets save by a member of the Spider Tribe.

The dude acts like midwife, trying to save Cassandra's and fetus by having the mystical spider bite her. Her mom's injuries are too great and she dies anyways, but it does save her daughter.

Folks complain how did Cassandra get back to America? To me that answer to that becomes obvious to me when Cassandra goes back to the rainforest for later on. The Spider Tribe isn't really an isolated tribe at all, its a secret identity of a far more worldly tribe who are not named. This is shown when Cassandra meets the shaman? I guess you could call him again and the dude this time is dress in modern garb and speaks perfect english (likely speaks perfect Spanish too given he lives in Peru). So that explains that.

Anyways before she goes back to Peru, despite being a lifecsaving paramedic Cassandra is a pretty cynical person and believes her mom didn't care about her as much as she cared about her research, so she very none maternal.

Still she's real world heroic and briefly dies saving someone else's life, and but good old Uncle Ben saves her (I really like Uncle Ben). While dead she has a vision of the web of the life or the multiverse or something. Some of the images do for shadow later events.

She's shown have a couple of brief vision later on and not know wjat going on.

Later she has a more important vision that invovles her fghter fighter friend gettung killed, she fails to stop it, and she is emotionally wrecked by the event and feels powerless. Later on however she gets a vision of a bird flying into her window and dying, but she prevents that, which tells her the future is not in fact set in stone.

Also the bad guy keeps getting dreams of the Spiderbabes killing him, so he sleeps with then snuffs with his poison touch this government agent for her face recognition software, which he videos to his tech lady minion to track the Spiderbabes for him (dudes rich now, but still has kind of hyper survival focus from.his upbringing in poverty).

Its not long after this that Cassandra ends up on the train with the 3 Spiderbabes, and gets a vision that allows her save the Spiderbabes from Eziekiel murdering them, although they are skeptical of her until they see the bad guy crawling on the ceiling.

They flee, but after Eziekiel beats the crap out if security guards, the authorities think she kidnapped the future Spiderbabes.

As time goes on as much as she tries to avoid it, Cassandra turns into Spidermom of the Spiderbabes.

She then hides the Spiderbabes in the woods, which is smart to go off the grid.

She leaves them there to go get intel on her mom from her apartment.

Now here is the part no one focuses on, it quickly becomes clear between the woods scene and the Diner scene that the all three Spiderbabes are bisexual, its not right in your face blatant, but its pretty obvious to me. Anya calls Julia cute in the woods, Maddie later on, makes Julia dress sexier and then pulls her onto her lap to flirt with a bunch of guys, and then Maddie gets the other two to dance sexy with her on the table while horny guys watch them, which is why making the characters minors was really, really bad idea.

Then Spidermom has a vision of Eziekiel going to on a murder spree of the horny Spiderbabes in the Diner, which she then prevents by running into him with taxi.

I found Eziekiel menancing, he's faster, stronger, poisionus, and wall crawling then all the Spiderbabes so it fet like they were in real danger.

Anyways Spidermom figures out she's got to go back to Peru for answers so she hides the Spiderbabes at Uncle Ben's house, because Spiderjerk doesn't know who Uncle Ben is, and as long as they stay inside and don't use any identifying tech Tech Lady can't find them.

Cassandra learns in the Amazon that her mom was so obssessed with the damn spider because it was the only cure for a horrible genetic disease Cassandra had, it was all to save her daughter, who loved her after all, and they huge is a very sweet scene in the vision until the dream disaolves and for brief seconds looks weirdly sexual instead of sweet at the end before completely dissolving and sending her back to her body. You got to see the special effects they used to see what I mean, its very brief and weird.

Still by the time Spidermom comes back, Mary Parker, mom of the Superhero who shall not be named, goes into labour early, so the Spiderbabes wear hoodies and go with Uncle Ben and Mary Parker of the boy who shall not be named by orders of Disney, but Maddie gets caught by a camera anyways, so now Tech Lady can tell Spiderjerk where they are.

Thankful when Spiderjerk is about to go on his next attempted killing spree, Spidermom of the Spiderbabes drives an Ambulance, her place of power clearly as a former paramedic, right into him from the second story of a building.

I think the taxi vs the ambulance as a weapon symbolizes going from a reaction mentality to a planning mentality.

Anyways they run away which is when the weirdest thing in my D-Box (the moving reactive threater seats) happened, lets just say my D-Box moved in time with the Spiderbabes bounce when they were running which weird.

Anyways they run to a Fireworks factory, and Spidermom is really being more Madame Web then Cassandra Web now much more tactical and in control of her powers. She and the Spiderbabes set off fire works and Chaos ensues making it harder for Spiderjerk to hunt them.

Spidermom uses her powers to keep random fire works from killing her or the Spiderbabes.

Eventually a fight breaks up and naturally, it does not go well for the Spiderbabes or Spidermom. Long story short in trying to save Spidermom from Spiderjerk, the Spiderbabes who have a lot of heart, but no powers get flung around and are seconds away from falling to their death when Spidermom enbraces her Spidermomhood and Astrally projects to save them, only to get gut punched by Spiderjerk (Eziekiel).

She uses her brains and heart vs his muscles and long story short they both fall from the building, he lands on concrete and gets killed by a falling product placement sign, and she falls into water and gets hit in the face by fireworks blinding her. She's pulled out Julia, reminding us all that Sydney Sweeney should have been in the Baywatch movie, she seems like a great swimmer, and the Spiderbabes take turns giving Spidermom chest compressions to save her.

Spidermom in later taken to Hosiptal, where she is now blind and can't watch, but she is at peace with it, having basically adopted the Spiderbabes. She's in a wheel chair and has the glasses, and seems completely at peace because she loves her adopted Spiderbabes who seem to live with her now. Maddie still a spoiled brat, but with leadership qualities. They seem to love her back.
No post credit scene.

Fun movie, but with a handful a changes it could have been an amazing movie.

Found online that at least one of the Spiderbabes (who are given no hero names in the movie hence why I call them Spiderbabes, even Madame Web isn't actually spoken in the movie), Anya is confirmed to be bisexual in the comics, so it seems a trait they decided to share with the other two Spiderbabes so it wasn't my imagination.

Thomas Shey

Legend
As I mentioned in the other thread there are a couple plot points that are odd--having only the ambulance show up at that accident is not how that works, they run around with the stolen (and damaged, along with a missing license plate) taxi too long, and there's too little reaction from the authorities to the number of cops the villain kills--and I thought the actor for the villain was awfully bland, but other than that I concur its not nearly as bad as being presented in some places.

No, it's not.

This is why critics get paid. They don't just read the book to you. :)

Anyway, I know you put spoilers in the title, but just to reiterate to people this is basically a detailed description of the plot. Maybe more spoilers than you were expecting! Though by the time you see this, it's too late...

Sorry not really used to doing movie reviews, but everyone just absoutely trashing this movie, left and right, and its as bad as they say and its like why do I understand this movie and no one else seems to? I just don't understand it.

Not saying some things could have been done better, but I've seen far worse things then this, it was a fun movie, especially once it really got going. The cast had great chemistry, the idea of making it a thriller was cool, I liked the characters, Uncle Ben was a great guy. Just like the Marvels I'm baffled by it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As I mentioned in the other thread there are a couple plot points that are odd--having only the ambulance show up at that accident is not how that works, they run around with the stolen (and damaged, along with a missing license plate) taxi too long, and there's too little reaction from the authorities to the number of cops the villain kills--and I thought the actor for the villain was awfully bland, but other than that I concur its not nearly as bad as being presented in some places.
Yes, the stolen taxi nobody looks for was weird. Stealing an ambulance that just arrived with a crew to help somebody was also a weird choice.

Yes, the stolen taxi nobody looks for was weird. Stealing an ambulance that just arrived with a crew to help somebody was also a weird choice.

The Ambulance made sense because its something she really understands the capablities of so she can plan accordingly. Its smart, playing to the advantage of her expertise.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The Ambulance made sense because its something she really understands the capablities of so she can plan accordingly. Its smart, playing to the advantage of her expertise.
Yes, but she is also an EMT by trade because she wants to save people. She might just be killing somebody as they now have to wait longer to get to the hospital with this decision to take the ambulance. They could have had Web have a brief clairvoyance moment where the person the EMTs are there to help turns out to be ok so taking the ambulance won't kill somebody. I understand that kind of thing drives up run time but it would make more sense. Though, if you just have her drive a stolen taxi for multiple days then its already who cares level. 🤷‍♂️

General_Tangent

Adventurer
I saw it a few days ago and I thought it was just average at best.

For me the number of writers is concerning and lead to the muddled story.

The one thing that just irked me is the plot thread while mentioned a few times and is never tied up.

Remove ads