Spoilers The Marvels (Spoilers)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Kind of a side question / comment … I also don’t understand what the backlash is over Brie Larson or why some people seem to have an issue with her.

She’s an excellent actress and she does a great job playing Captain Marvel in my opinion. Is there some concrete thing that she did or that happened to cause this ‘backlash’ or is it more of the general internet negativity just aimed at her?

That’s a legitimate question, I’m actually interested in what (if any) actual reason is behind it.
She dared to speak up for diversity among film critics and said that they were "overwhelmingly white male". In other words, the backlash is the typical fragile masculinity freakout whenever women or POC point out the obvious. Samuel L Jackson called her critics a bunch of incels in the most vigorous defense of her at the time.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Why see it in theatres when I can watch it on Disney+ in a few months? In fact Disney+ has conditioned me to watch Marvel on a small screen with all their TV series.

I wonder if the big problem is that theaters and big home screens have conditioned lots of people to stay home except for huge event movies.

In any case, I liked the movie fine except for one of the planets they visitied. Bleh! Even discounting that, I didn't like it nearly as much as the 1st one.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I wonder if the big problem is that theaters and big home screens have conditioned lots of people to stay home except for huge event movies.
Definitely an interesting question. Right before the pandemic lockdown, Disney+ was just getting going. There was no reliable prospect for seeing the MCU movies just a few months after release. Maybe Netflix would get it. Maybe AmazonPrime. But now there's Disney+ so I really do have some incentive to sit in my own ass-groove on my couch at home rather than spike my anxieties by going out to the theater.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Big screens at home, sure.

But having several years to establish how gathering in large groups of sweaty, coughing humans was not safe sure didn't help matters. Folks were grumbling about movie prices already, but add in that little tinge of "unclean"...

Zardnaar

Legend
Kind of a side question / comment … I also don’t understand what the backlash is over Brie Larson or why some people seem to have an issue with her.

She’s an excellent actress and she does a great job playing Captain Marvel in my opinion. Is there some concrete thing that she did or that happened to cause this ‘backlash’ or is it more of the general internet negativity just aimed at her?

That’s a legitimate question, I’m actually interested in what (if any) actual reason is behind it.

Partly internet chuds, partly her own comments, partly superhero fatigue.

Box office overall is rown but you still get hits. Iirc only 2/12 Superhero films did well last year. One was animated the other was essentially the last Phase 3 MCU movie.

Bagpuss

Legend
I liked the movie fine except for one of the planets they visitied. Bleh!

I suspect I know the one you mean, and if they had made that into the big Bollywood style production with Ms Marvel getting involved I would have been completely down with it. As it would have fitted the style they established for her in the TV series, you know like how we accept Deadpool knows he is in a comic/movie, and She-Hulk breaks the 4th Wall.

Involving just Captain Marvel it just felt weird.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I suspect I know the one you mean, and if they had made that into the big Bollywood style production with Ms Marvel getting involved I would have been completely down with it. As it would have fitted the style they established for her in the TV series, you know like how we accept Deadpool knows he is in a comic/movie, and She-Hulk breaks the 4th Wall.

But is she now officially a Disney princess?

It was rather like Love and Thunder in that it didn't balance the whimsical and the serious very well. It didn't know which way to jump, and ended up falling short in both areas. The whole water planet segment felt completely superfluous, because it didn't dare go full on Bollywood musical. Or it could have been cut and replaced with 15 minutes at the start of the movie explaining the antagonist backstory and the political situation on Hala, for a more serious movie.

Remove ads