Spoilers The Marvels (Spoilers)

I suspect I know the one you mean, and if they had made that into the big Bollywood style production with Ms Marvel getting involved I would have been completely down with it. As it would have fitted the style they established for her in the TV series, you know like how we accept Deadpool knows he is in a comic/movie, and She-Hulk breaks the 4th Wall.

Involving just Captain Marvel it just felt weird.

Supposedly, the whole Aladna musical section was where a lot of the bad editing happened, cutting it down too much. It was fun and I liked it as is, but would have been much better with more. Also, the musical part we did get allowed Brie to show a softer and more fun side of Captain Marvel and the bigots out there prefer her to be harsh and hard, since that makes her an easier target for their hate.

Supposedly, the whole Aladna musical section was where a lot of the bad editing happened, cutting it down too much. It was fun and I liked it as is, but would have been much better with more. Also, the musical part we did get allowed Brie to show a softer and more fun side of Captain Marvel and the bigots out there prefer her to be harsh and hard, since that makes her an easier target for their hate.
And Brie got to show off her voice ^_^

Ryujin

Legend
Sadly, that wasn't her voice doing the singing in the movie, but

I also didn't know she had an album https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finally_Out_of_P.E.
I did a little research, way back when, and turns out it was her voice, despite rumours to the contrary ;) Same group as listed in the credits, but she did vocals. Metric credits her. I know it goes back and forth, but I'll take the band's word for it.

Clint_L

Hero
My spouse and I watched this on D+. I really, really wanted it to be good, just to spite the haters. It's not very good. The stakes are never made very personal, there is little if any character development, and it relies WAY too heavily on inside baseball. Villain is lame, and the plot makes no sense, even by superhero movie standards (the whole time, I kept thinking, "Carol could solve this problem in three seconds by just torpedoing BBEG's ship like she did Thanos' far more impressive one). This is coming from someone who's seen all the movies and shows, and been a Marvel fan since the 70s.

It's just a mess. With a really underwhelming final act. But I did like that they made Larson's Captain Marvel a lot goofier and more fun, even though it's a bit of a jarring shift in the context of the previous depictions.

It's not a bad movie. But it's not a good one, either.

I did a little research, way back when, and turns out it was her voice, despite rumours to the contrary ;) Same group as listed in the credits, but she did vocals. Metric credits her. I know it goes back and forth, but I'll take the band's word for it.
Well, thank you for correcting me on that fact

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Saw it on D+. Quite enjoyed it, though it missed the "big wow!" factor that most of the Phase I-III Marvel movies had.

I liked the things others liked (Iman Vellani for the win, and powerful women being women and powerful naturally) and it looks like I liked the parts others didn't. But I didn't love it.

I enjoyed Dar-Benn's motivation - Marvel has a habit of doing forgettable villains but ones like Killmonger or The Vulture who you get why they are doing it I quite enjoy. She close to had that. Like, she's trying to save her people, and being villainous by doing it in a way to take revenge against her people's destroyer I can get. I think we needed a little more empathy for the Kree people's situation as opposed to the villian-race we've previously established, and then a bit more non-action time with Dar-Benn and it would have come together.

Oh, and I got such a kick from the water world. I can understand why that didn't do it for everyone but I found it quite enjoyable, and it worked in several ways, from showing another side of Carol to quickly establishing empathy for a people (sing in the sun happy colorful people) to up the odds, to a good mass battle scene.

But the whole thing felt rushed. Like there was so much going on. While I liked some of the B-plot back home, the A-plot needs to be solid first.

Oh, the action scenes also felt a bit rushed. We've seen action scenes with multiple heroes each getting to be distinctive. I loved the teamwork (or lack in the first one) of the entangled crew, but it made it a bit disorienting.

Liked the music and sound as well.

I think my biggest disappointment is that it feels like it had more potential and didn't live upto it. I would watch a director's cut of this with added material.

Remove ads