• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Higher Level PC Examples?

Chimera

First Post
OK, I admit something of thread fatigue, and the extreme lack of desire to wade through large numbers of threads containing little useful information to find what I'm looking for.

Yes, I admit it, I'm being LAZY.

What I'm interested in are examples/samples/whatever of higher level (say, 5th or higher) PC characters in 4e. Not monsters, but PCs. I'd really love to see a 5th or higher level Wizard and a similar level Cleric to see what kind of abilities they have, how many of each type (at will, encounter, daily) they have, etc. Higher level Fighters, Rangers or other classes are just as welcome.

NO SPECULATION. I don't want this to become yet another thread filled with people making guesses about things with no factual information, or listing off what they would LIKE to see in such characters. Please stick to KNOWN FACTS.

Thanks.

Crashy75

First Post
Sorry man, I don't think there are any. The only thing they have is some higher level powers, a 2nd level rogue power and some (I think 10-16th level) wizard spells.

keterys

First Post
Things we've seen
Level 10-16 wizard powers
A level 27 paladin smite
A level 13 paladin smite
A level 9 rogue daily
A level 9 warlord daily

Other than that, it's all been pretty low level. If you check the blogs, you can get a little more information but it's not very fulfilling.

A 21st level wizard wearing +5 scale mail.
An 11th level rogue dealing a 40 damage crit.

There are some fight scenes described for both groups (the 11th and 21st).

Chimera

First Post
I find that a little disturbing and a bit bothersome.

Is there anyone with the right job or connections who CAN post a couple of characters, say a 5th level Cleric and a 5th level Wizard, just as examples?

Cyronax

Explorer
Chimera said:
I find that a little disturbing and a bit bothersome.

Is there anyone with the right job or connections who CAN post a couple of characters, say a 5th level Cleric and a 5th level Wizard, just as examples?

Try these examples from the leaked draft Monster Manual. Granted, these are not PC classes as far as we know them yet, but the mechanics are very similar. NPCs probably are like non-heroic characters in Star Wars SAGA rules ... i.e. slightly less powerful, than their 'level 12' compared to a PC level 12.

Some of the examples are from near-official 4e sources or from 4e D&D Mini stats:

Human Mage, Level 4 Artillery (leader)
Medium Natural Humanoid XP 175
Initiative +4; Senses Perception +5
HP 42; Bloodied 21
AC 17; Fortitude 13, Reflex 14, Will 15
Speed 6
M Quarterstaff (standard, at-will) * Weapon
+4 vs. AC; 1d8 damage
R Magic Missile (standard, at-will) * Force
Range 20; +7 vs. Reflex; 2d4+4 force damage
R Dancing Lightning (standard, encounter) * Lightning
The mage makes a separate attack against 3 different targets; Range 10; +7 vs. Reflex; 1d6+4 lightning damage.
A Thunder Burst (standard, encounter) * Thunder
Area burst 1 within 10; +7 vs. Fortitude; 1d8+4 thunder damage and the target is dazed (save ends).
Alignment Any; Languages Common
Skills Arcana +11
Str 10 (+2), Con 12 (+3), Dex 14 (+4), Int 18 (+6), Wis 17 (+5), Cha 12 (+3)
Equipment: Robes, Quarterstaff, Wand

Dwarf Warlord, Level 12 Soldier (Leader)
Medium Natural Humanoid
Init +11; Senses perception +11
HP 83; Bloodied 41
AC 28; Fortitude 23 Reflex 21 Will 17
Speed 5
m +3 Battleaxe (Standard; at-will) * Weapon
+17 vs. AC; 1d12+8
r +3 Crossbow (Standard; at-will) * Weapon
Range 15/30; +15 vs. AC; 1d8+3
M Drive into Peril (Standard; Recharge 5) * Weapon
+17 vs. AC; 1d12+8 AND push 3 (no damage and push 1 on a miss). If enemy ends adjacent to an ally other than you, that ally can make an immediate basic melee attack against it
C Hold the line (Standard; Recharge 6)
Close burst 5; Allies get +4 AC untill end of this creature's next turn.
Rally the Troops (Immediate; Recharge 4)
Range 5; target ally can use a healing surge
Skills: Endurance +10, Perception +11
Str +11 Dex +6 Wis +6
Con +8 Int +9 Cha +7

Human Berserker, Level 3 Brute
Medium Natural Humanoid XP 150
Initiative +2; Senses Perception +1
HP 56; Bloodied 28, see also Battle Fury
AC 14; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 13
Speed 7
M Greataxe (standard, at-will) * Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d12+4 damage (crit 1d12+16)
M Battle Fury (immediate, when first bloodied; encounter)
The human berserker makes a melee basic attack with a +4 attack bonus and that deals an extra 1d6 damage on a hit.
R Handaxe (standard, at-will) * Weapon
Range 5/10; +4 vs. AC; damage 1d6+3 damage.
Alignment Any; Languages Common
Skills Athletics +9, Endurance +9
Str 17 (+4), Con 16 (+4), Dex 12 (+2), Int 10 (+1), Wis 11 (+1), Cha 12 (+2)
Equipment: leather armor, greataxe, 2 handaxes

Hope that helps,
c.i.d.

Chimera

First Post
I am sincerely underwhelmed.

A 3.5 Wizard has a fair number of spells available and can do a fair amount of different things at different times simply by changing around their memorized spells. They can do fire or cold, they can do ability drains, they can sleep or charm. All in the same Wizard if you select the right list of spells.

This 4th level Wizard is pretty gimpy, IMHO. Two encounter abilities with pathetic damage and a shorter range than the defacto 'Every wizard has this ability' magic missile at-will attack which is his only other "spell". Nothing more. To my thinking, it's really nothing more than two minor special attacks followed by a melee ranged attack under a different name. People would be screaming bloody if instead of 'magic missile', they called it 'crossbow'. I guess it's all in the descriptor.

The 12th level Warlord has three, all of THREE abilities, all requiring recharge, one of which is healing. Nothing really special there for a 12th level character. I expected more. A LOT MORE.

The Berzerker 'furries' ONCE per encounter. Big deal.

Seriously, I can't see the Kewl Powerz people being too happy with this in the long run. I've never considered myself one of them, but maybe I have to reconsider, because I like having a lot of powers and options available too, and this just doesn't cut it.

Bishmon

First Post
First-level PCs have more abilities than those NPCs, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.

As for non-first level PC play, yeah, we've got zero idea. We've been told you'll be making some sort of choice every level, and we've seen a few examples of higher-level powers and a couple feats, but that's it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads