• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Highest Possible AC

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
So, this is a thing I've been tossing around in my head for some time: by RAW, how high can a PCs AC possibly get? Note, possibly, meaning taking into consideration all spells, class abilities and magic items (and assuming your DM is dumb enough to let you get your hands on all of that). Max level is 20, magic items like the Manual of Quickness of action may only be used once. Magic items that you must attune to may only be taken once (ok, so not exaaaactly RAW)

Here's my take

Fighter 17 (Battlemaster)/Barb 1
(Assume max stats) (assume max everything, we're looking at the very pinnacle of what is possible)
Read Manual of Quickness of Action= Dex 22

Read Manual of Bodily Health= Con 22

Shield of +3= 5 AC

Shield of +3= 5 AC (if a Fire Giant can use two, so can I! :p)
(If you think dual shield is too much cheese)-> Defender, permanently set for defence only= +3 AC, req. attunement

Battlemaster maneuver Evasive Footwork= +12 (rolled max on my d12 Superiority die)

Ring of Protection= +1 AC, req. attunement

Ioun Stone of Protection= +1 AC, req. attunement

Some dude casting Haste on you (or drinking a Potion of Haste, whatever tickles) you= +2 AC

Unarmoured Defense (Barb feature)= +12 AC (22 Dex & 22 Con)
OR Plate of +3 and Defense Fighting Style= 22 AC (but loses you your base 10, so exactly the same as the barb)

This gives us a grand total of: 48 Armour Class o_O (or 46 if you disapprove of dual shield wielding)

Tell me if you find anything better :D (I may have another corner case, but I haven't "numbercrunched" it yet [quotes as in, it's not hard but I'm lazy])

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Shield of +3= 5 AC (if a Fire Giant can use two, so can I! :p)
Fire giants get special rules, but the normal rule is that you can't stack multiple bonuses from the same effect. So RAW this doesn't fly.

But I can win: wizard casts Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere on himself -> AC = infinity ;)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Max level barbarian gets base of 22. If he maxes dex and con. He can use a +3 shield then for 27 and he can use defensive duelist once per turn for 33.

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
Where's Shield of Faith and Shield cast from a Ring of Spell Storing?

Since I can only have three attuned items at once, Ring of spell storing has to go.

But, since anything is possible, we could have it cast on us by our cleric friend, while also taking the Defensive Duelist feat and 2 levels of wizard (or sorcerer) o get access to Shield.... which is redundant actually, since you only have 1 reaction per turn... well, you could use it against ranged attacks I suppose.

Anyway, SOF+ Def Duel= +8 which brings us to a grand total of 54, since we can't use our double shield cheese :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads