D&D General Hilarious typos in D&D books

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Despite it's name, the Oxford comma is an Americanism, and is considered incorrect in the UK.

Depends which style guide you use. In the UK The Oxford Style Manual and the MHRA Style Guide both recommend using it, while the Guardian Style Guide, The Cambridge Guide to English Usage, Fowler's Dictionary, and New Hart's Rules consider it discretionary.

Conversely in the US, The New York Times and the AP Stylebook both oppose its use.

It's not as black-and-white as a UK/US thing.

Despite it's name, the Oxford comma is an Americanism, and is considered incorrect in the UK. The purpose of punctuation is to clarify meaning. If the presence or absence of the punctuation mark does not change the meaning then it serves no purpose and should be omitted.

That's overstating the matter Paul. Oxford commas are absolutely not "considered incorrect" in the UK. It may be considered unnecessary, or less than ideal, by certain style guides, particularly for journalistic writing, but "incorrect" is going far too far. You also frequently see it used in UK legal documents. It's like people claiming - ize is "incorrect". It is not. It is less widely used, but it's still acceptable (your specific organisation may prefer a more standard form of course).

Zander

Explorer
Can't remember the source (could have been Dungeon Master for Dummies) that instead of Castle Maure says 'Castle Manure' [sic] in its index. Don't know if Castle Manure features in the Avernus campaign but it could explain the peeing. Maybe the elf though it was the done thing to pee at a castle made of dung. Might also explain the hot wind.

Another typo - from a third party RPG source I can't recall offhand - was 'pubic' instead of 'public'.

pukunui

Legend
Just found an actual typo in Storm King’s Thunder that I reckon is pretty hilarious!

Check out the first 5th level spell in this mage’s spellbook:
AC9EEBB5-B52F-44A6-B656-3DDFA3F99097.jpeg

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I thought about posting all the typos I found in Ghosts of Saltmarsh as I read through it, but... WotC isn't paying me to copy-edit their books for them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Tangling two threads...
Cone of Cones produces dozens of the pointy-bottom kind of ice cream cones and blasts everybody in the zone with them. Use the rules for the spell Catapult except as modified here. On a crit, the spell also creates scoops of ice cream (caster's choice of flavor) which strike the targets (but do no additional damage).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases