• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit Point Ceiling

Nimloth

First Post
I saw an interesting "gritty reality" rule in a generic d20 supplement. I don't think I'll use it, but I'll slap it on ya and see what your comments are.

The rule says that characters can never have more hit points than 2x CON. Fighter class characters are restricted to a hit point ceiling of 3x CON.

Interesting, yes?

No, not really.

-direct damage spells are more viable. A 10d6 fireball is likely to take out any non-fighter with less than a 17 con (35 avg dam vs 34 max hp) and seriously hurt any fighter, regardless of level.
-high level humanoids are less viable as BBEGs.
-at higher levels it becomes "1 shot, 1 kill", or "go first or die".

Question, does this effect non-classed monsters?

Dandu

First Post
If anyone would like to take the example party I listed on the bottom of page 1 and try to run them through a few theoretical encounters, they are welcome to it.

Axel

First Post
If silly HP totals bother you, why not return to the "good old days" of 2nd edition. Roll for HP (+ Con bonus) up to and including 9th level. Beyond that, fixed HP progression by class. From memory, +3/level for fighters, +2/level for clerics and rogues, +1/level for wizards.

Remove ads