Hitman style game idea

Dire Lemming

First Post
So as probably no one here knows, the movie inspired by the Hitman series of stealth/action video games is coming out soon. Well I don't really care about that but it got me thinking about how playing a contract killer like 47 would translate into a PnP RPG style. I think it might be fairly interesting to set this kind of game in a medieval fantasy world, though most likely one that is considerably different from classic DnD. Clerics would have to be out, otherwise important people would just get raised or ressurected, and anyone killed could just be asked who their killer was. However, that doesn't lock out religions. After all, medieval priests in the real world didn't need to be able to bring back the dead to command respect.

Of course we still need rich affluent types to throw parties that act as convenient covers for hits... I'm thinking that magic would be reletively rare. Things would possibly be a bit steampunky. With trains maybe... Probably a solo or maybe even a duo game.

I'm just throwing around ideas, anyone got some they'd like to add? :heh:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well I'd suggest going with D20 modern and the D20 Past supplement. That would remove the trouble with too much magic. You could just pick what kind of magic would be available if any and mix and match the tech levels in the D20 Past to get that steampunk feeling.

It's an interesting idea. I'll be happy to help with brainstorming eventhough I'm not too interested to join the game itself ;) .

Dire Lemming

First Post
Well lets see. I think the game play would consist of first accepting a mission. Then gaining information about the target and deciding when to strike. When you did, you would have to make sure to minimize any casualties other than your target, be they security or civilian. Depending on the situation it would usually be best to make the death look like an accident. The game would only really work for characters with stealth skills. Oh yeah, and once you make the hit, you need to escape. There would have to be allot of planning involved. Eventually it might be cool to add some rivals, and/or allow the character to start or join a guild of sorts.

For a duo of players thinks could get really interesting.

Oh right, about d20 modern. Unfortunately I only have the CRBs and the FR CS.

Oh yeah, we'd definitely want to use the VP/WP system.

Wintergypsy

First Post
Good idea, i'd even be up for plays if you'd have me.
But i would want to wait until 4th edition hits the shelves...however, brainstorming in the emanwhile shoudln't be a problem ;)

Dire Lemming

First Post
With your skills at necromancy you'd make an interesting hitman. ;) I haven't actually thought about this much since no one seemed interested. All of my attempts at DMing so far have been rather unsatisfying, but I think that it's just because I suck at it. So I suppose I should try it more. I'd really love to see some suggestions for this because I'm one of those types who is usually only able to be creative when inspired by something. :heh:

I think I will start developing something though what with the lack of classes and all.

As for forth edition. Nothing I've read about it makes me want to get it, so don't count on that.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
A game like Hitman would be fun. There would be alot of different ways to go about a contract like that. You could do the ol' fashion sniper rifle from as far away as you can get, or could even go about using bombs or poison. It would be fun (at least I think) for the characters to specialize in a form of assassinations.

I do think you would have to keep the group small, but I do think it would be more fun as a group (it would also make things slightly easier). I could see a group having a face man, a gunman, a couple of people could even be "insiders."

Dire Lemming

First Post
Cool, because I just randomly thought of that group of assassins with a pun name from Usagi Yojimbo, I'm definitely limiting the group to four PCs max. The only books I have are the DnD CRBs, the Forgotten Realms CS book and the Star Wars Revised CRB, so I don't think I could run a modern day game. I'm more interested in doing this in a fantasy world anyway since magic could make things very interesting. There would be no speak with dead, raise dead or resurrection spells, because it'd be too much trouble if the victim could just tell people who killed them. Or be brought back to life by a ninth level cleric. In fact, the world would probably be relatively low magic all around with wizards being practically nonexistent and sorcerers, (magical) bards, and any other spell users being somewhat rare. I wonder if there are any pre-made campaign settings I could use for this.

Oh yes, if you want a sniper rifle, you're going to have to settle for either longbow or an arbalist. Maybe I should use the Vitality/woud point and/or Armor as DC rules as well.

Hm, we need some steampunk...

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
A d&d version of hitman would be very interesting. Could have a wizard open a portal, an assassin slip through, finish the contract, and be home eating dinner by the time anyone notices. I agree with you though, a group of 4 would be plenty. Can't have the group be too big, or else you have an assassins guild lol

Dire Lemming

First Post
I have to say, I've never actually built a campaign before, so I really have no idea how to go about it besides talking about it with others.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I would say (for the sake of being simple) just to take an existing world an run with it. Add some house rules and call it a day. If needed, you can always come up with some rule on the fly, which as long as it's fair to everyone, shouldn't be a big issue. The more I think about this game, the more fun it sounds. I was wondering what level you have in mind.

Remove ads